29er tyres

Spartacus88

Nobby nic or conti protection X-king front .Conti protection race-king or geax saguaro or vredenstein rear

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My weapon of choice

Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo Snake Skin Pace Star 29"Front and back

+1 :thumbup:

Thanks guys. Apparently Schwalbe have got the Snakeskin in UST 29er. Has anyone heard any reviews?

At the moment the choice is between the Maxxis Crossmark, Geax AKA/Saguaro, Schwalbe Snakeskin.

Snakeskin Racing Ralphs are the biz , running mine as low as 1.4bar never had a hassle 2.25 wide. Stay away from the 2.00 non snake skins , will not be able to run them below 1.8 bar , otherwise they will come off the rim.Width of tyre is very important when it comes to sand and the difference between 2.00 and 2.25 is huge in sandy conditions

In my opinion the Crossmarks are a solid choice , bit on the heavy side though.2.1 wide.

Have no experience with th

Guys quick question... I'm running ust crossmarks on my bike. It's now time to replace the mrs tires on her 29er but she doesn't ride her bike often enough to warrant 600 bucks for a new ust tire ( she's running tubes ). What non ust tires can be run tubeless and how do I do it? Sorry for the hijack but it is topic related...

Guys quick question... I'm running ust crossmarks on my bike. It's now time to replace the mrs tires on her 29er but she doesn't ride her bike often enough to warrant 600 bucks for a new ust tire ( she's running tubes ). What non ust tires can be run tubeless and how do I do it? Sorry for the hijack but it is topic related...

Most of them. But due to their thin sidewalks they are sketchy around corners and are prone to cuts.

If she has tubes then it's ok, but tubeless You have to watch out what you buy as she might ride it off the rim on the front (think racing Ralph in non snake skin).

Racing Ralph everyday of the week, however had to put a conti xking last week and not enough time to source new Ralph. Can't say I am disappointed. So far so good, just doesn't say "Racing" on it or it would naturally be faster. ????

The maxxiss crossmark is still the bees knees

I thought so as well, but now believe they are simply too heavy and offers too much rolling resistance. Just don't ask me what I suggest, I am going to buy RR snake skins shortly, as I liked the way the ordinary Rocket Rons rolled, but they, sidewalls in particular, were not tough enough to convert to tubeless.

Get Specialized Ground Control front and back for her. Good grip, lasts pretty long, decent rolling resistance and under R400 each.

• 4 weeks later...

Remember cheap, light, strong - pick two. Spez tyres are cheap (relatively) and light, but sidewalls are paperthin. I had to replace 2 spez tyres in 3 rides because of sidewall cuts. After that I've gone back to good old crossmark at the back. Still have a ground control in front though.

I thought so as well, but now believe they are simply too heavy and offers too much rolling resistance. Just don't ask me what I suggest, I am going to buy RR snake skins shortly, as I liked the way the ordinary Rocket Rons rolled, but they, sidewalls in particular, were not tough enough to convert to tubeless.

just interested - how do you work that out?

I am back on crossmarks. Tried Ikons but got a nice smiley and flat on the rear when I struck a rock. Was running at the same pressure as I always did with the crossmarks, so off went the ikons :thumbdown:. I'd rather roll with a heavier tire than bash my rims and be stuck with punctures.

2.25 Ron in front and a Ralph in the back. When the weather becomes bad, I move the Ron to the back and the Nic in front. I love the grip the Spez ground control(f) and Fast track® but the thin sidewalls bother me. Ah the Schwalbe with snakeskin. Can't forget that

Have any of you tried the Geax Mezcal? I see they are extremely light but is the tread a little thin for Cape winter riding?