• 7 months later...
  • Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings.

I need some good advice.

I using Racing Ralph snake skin on my back and I been told to use a rocket Ron on the front. I was wanting to use a Racing Ralph Evo.

Can any one give me some input please.

Running Racing Ralph Evo Snake Skin front and back and won't look back. Was using Rocket Rons before. Racing Ralph Snake Skin is great but get rid of the Rocket Ron, doesn't work cornering on anything but hardpack.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Route62mtb

What about Spec Ground control front and fast trak rear? Or Purgatory control front and ground control rear... For rocky and gravel stuff in Western cape

• 2 months later...

So, are you racing the Epic or are you just hoping to finish in a decent time/?

The Crossmarks are solid. Really solid. They feel like bricks, no matter what pressure you ride them they corner like they are too hard and if you run them around 2 bar they sound like you have a flat when the road levels out BUT.... you likely wont have to stop for a puncture the whole Epic.... the tyres are bomb proof. Guys rode the Freedom Challenge on them this year and did not ooze an ounce of sealant.

The Geax Segaro are way better tyres, they come in 2.4 (if you can find them) and 2.2 (which tops the 2.1 of the std crossmark), they are a better profile, handle better, run better at low pressures BUT, they are only semi bomb proof... you will get a few leaks. Better performance, more chance of having to use you plug repair kit.

The Specialized are SUPER! I raced them all through Europe last year in mud, dry, rooty, rocky, flat, rutted, any and all conditions and they perform amazingly. However they are NOT very hardy. A proper tough day through acacia bushes and rocky beds and they will fail at some point. Great performance but not great for SA conditions..

Now some may agree and others will stab my comments in the foot with a sharpened toothbrush, but I currently run all 3 tyres mentioned above on different bikes and love all 3 but use very much a 'horses for courses' approach.....

Tyres are like women... (...... and I shall leave that last statement open to your very own imagination.)

Good luck in Epic... If you ever decide you want to be super and ride in a fully rigid single speed team let me know....

• 2 months later...

What about Spec Ground control front and fast trak rear? Or Purgatory control front and ground control rear... For rocky and gravel stuff in Western cape

I bought my new bike and it came with Schwalbe Racing Ralphs (not the snakeskin version). On my previous bike I had the Ground Control front and Fast Trak back, did all my training for and the Sani2C with it, till it was stolen.

The Racing Ralph back tyre only lasted 1000km, and front tyre got a terrible cut, so I am back on my Ground Control front and Fast Trak back.

1) Better sidewalls

2) More grip in mud, about the same in loose gravel stuff

3) MUCH easier to seat tubeless

4) About half the price of Schwalbe's

Spez tyres the best value for money tyres on the market, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

So, are you racing the Epic or are you just hoping to finish in a decent time/?

The Crossmarks are solid. Really solid. They feel like bricks, no matter what pressure you ride them they corner like they are too hard and if you run them around 2 bar they sound like you have a flat when the road levels out BUT.... you likely wont have to stop for a puncture the whole Epic.... the tyres are bomb proof. Guys rode the Freedom Challenge on them this year and did not ooze an ounce of sealant.

The Geax Segaro are way better tyres, they come in 2.4 (if you can find them) and 2.2 (which tops the 2.1 of the std crossmark), they are a better profile, handle better, run better at low pressures BUT, they are only semi bomb proof... you will get a few leaks. Better performance, more chance of having to use you plug repair kit.

The Specialized are SUPER! I raced them all through Europe last year in mud, dry, rooty, rocky, flat, rutted, any and all conditions and they perform amazingly. However they are NOT very hardy. A proper tough day through acacia bushes and rocky beds and they will fail at some point. Great performance but not great for SA conditions..

Now some may agree and others will stab my comments in the foot with a sharpened toothbrush, but I currently run all 3 tyres mentioned above on different bikes and love all 3 but use very much a 'horses for courses' approach.....

Tyres are like women... (...... and I shall leave that last statement open to your very own imagination.)

Good luck in Epic... If you ever decide you want to be super and ride in a fully rigid single speed team let me know....

Any experience with the Continental X-King Protection?

Had Conti x-kings on my 26" over 2000km and not a days ****, loved them!!. Upgraded to a 29er, stuck some Maxxis Ikons on, almost 2000km in and the bubbling and oozing sealant, dont recommend them at all.

Most popular combination at the Epic where Geax Segaro up front and AKA on the back, just fitted them and iv heard good things.

Would love to get another set of 29er Conti X-king Protections but they pricing them out of the market.

Had Conti x-kings on my 26" over 2000km and not a days ****, loved them!!. Upgraded to a 29er, stuck some Maxxis Ikons on, almost 2000km in and the bubbling and oozing sealant, dont recommend them at all.

Most popular combination at the Epic where Geax Segaro up front and AKA on the back, just fitted them and iv heard good things.

Would love to get another set of 29er Conti X-king Protections but they pricing them out of the market.

Agreed on the Ikons, crappest tyres I've ever used. Try Easybike for the x-kings R449 a pop.

http://www.easybike.co.za/continental-x-king-protection-29-x-2-2.html

• 1 month later...

I converted my 2013 Scott Scale 940 to tubeless with the Rocket Rons (not Snake Skin) that came with it. I had the usual sealing / teething issues described by others but they seem to be holding a good seal now. The problem I can't get right though is tyre pressure. If I run them at my prefferred pressure of 1.8 bar (I weigh 78kg) then I get burping. If I go up to 2.5 then the burping goes away but so does the grip.

Before I buy a different tyre, has anyone else had this and will a snake skin or UST version eradicate the problem or is it perhaps the rims (Syncros XC-49) that come standard on the Scott.

I converted my 2013 Scott Scale 940 to tubeless with the Rocket Rons (not Snake Skin) that came with it. I had the usual sealing / teething issues described by others but they seem to be holding a good seal now. The problem I can't get right though is tyre pressure. If I run them at my prefferred pressure of 1.8 bar (I weigh 78kg) then I get burping. If I go up to 2.5 then the burping goes away but so does the grip.

Before I buy a different tyre, has anyone else had this and will a snake skin or UST version eradicate the problem or is it perhaps the rims (Syncros XC-49) that come standard on the Scott.

Memnon

I've had the same experience with my three week old Scale 940. The Rocket Rons that come standard on the bike is not suited to run tubeless. I must admit they rolled very smoothly on a straight tarred road, but as soon as I went off road the problems started. I replaced the rear tyre after the third or fourth ride. I was only holiday and my options was limited and I settled for the Maxis Crossmarks. Bomb proof but there must be something bettter out there. I will pop in at the shop where I bought the bike for some opinions, but mainly to give them my opinion on the standard RR's.

In my opinion there is only 1 way to go and that is the snakeskin version In Rocket Ron.

I have one on the front, tubeless and it is a good gripping tyre. I ride XCO and XCM and the tyre has been great. I weigh 85 kg and run my front at 1.5 - 1.6. I ride Thaba Trails, Van Gaalens, Hakahana etc regularly which is pretty rocky and never had a burp. Do be aware that they are a race specific tyre so puncture durability on the tread area is not the best. Nothing a plug can sort out.

Thanks guys! It's a lot cheaper to buy new tyres than new rims so I'll pop into the bike shop later this week and get some replacement tyres. I didn't want to give up on the RRs too soon but as noted by Mr Legs, anything other than road (dirt or tar) and they start acting up. I'll might look at the snake skins - for our Jhb riding (Thaba, Rietvlei, etc.) which is a better bet: NN or RR?

Thanks guys! It's a lot cheaper to buy new tyres than new rims so I'll pop into the bike shop later this week and get some replacement tyres. I didn't want to give up on the RRs too soon but as noted by Mr Legs, anything other than road (dirt or tar) and they start acting up. I'll might look at the snake skins - for our Jhb riding (Thaba, Rietvlei, etc.) which is a better bet: NN or RR?

Depending on your riding style, Nobby Nics are great front tyres. I use em on the back as well.