29er tyres

Spartacus88

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was looking at Conti Mountain King 2.4 Black Chilli up front and 2.4 X-King on the back.

Frame can handle the 2.4!!

• 5 weeks later...

Good day guys...im fairly new to the 29er club and just want ur opinion. I got the bike with kenda 24seven racing 2.0. I see alot of you suggest crossmark at the back an arden front. What to you think of vredestein black panther or continental x king up front and geax aka tnt tubless on back

This is to do the sani2c as well

Edited by fourieockert@gmail.com

I put an AKA on the rear last September and its pretty much eaten up now on the middle knobs (fair bit of asphalt riding to get to trails). Still a great tyre for loose gravel and hardpack stuff, but not great in mud / wet conditions imo.

Thinking of putting Saguaro on rear coming in to wetter months - already have one on front but its in "speed" direction. Thinking to put both in "traction" direction for winter? Anyone else running these?

Or should I jump over to one of the Schwalbe tyres for rear instead?

Saguaro ,Race -king,Crossmark ,vredenstein as rear.X-king, ardent ,nobby nic ,racing ralph front .Any combo will work.Saguaro and Crossmark rear are very long lasting .Front tyres take forever to wear

How will a xmark handle as a front tire?

Not good. Changed a front crossmark to ardent recently .There is markedly better gripp .Don,t do it !!

I put an AKA on the rear last September and its pretty much eaten up now on the middle knobs (fair bit of asphalt riding to get to trails). Still a great tyre for loose gravel and hardpack stuff, but not great in mud / wet conditions imo.

Thinking of putting Saguaro on rear coming in to wetter months - already have one on front but its in "speed" direction. Thinking to put both in "traction" direction for winter? Anyone else running these?

Or should I jump over to one of the Schwalbe tyres for rear instead?

ran with saguaro rear and Ardent front for some time. ...nice combo.

Saguaro lasts for flipping ever

Not good. Changed a front crossmark to ardent recently .There is markedly better gripp .Don,t do it !!

Thats my plan. Was just wondering. How are the sidewalls on the maxxis?

ran with saguaro rear and Ardent front for some time. ...nice combo.

Saguaro lasts for flipping ever

Ran the saguaro in traction on the rear? I'll check out Ardent and Ikon as options too.

How wide is a Mountain King 2.4? Is it really tractor? I have a Nobby Nic 2.35 which is pretty fat. Crest rim.

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up leaving saguaro on front and put a rocket ron on rear. Pretty grippy and fast combo so far. Keen to see how it handles when things get a bit wetter. Maybe swap them around depending on how fast the old ronald wears.

I ended up with vredestein black panther on rear and vredestein xtreme on front. Have ysed them in rocky, wet and dry conditions and they are awesome...both is 2.2

• 1 month later...

This may be a dumb question . ..

But I ask help on behalf a friend.

He rides a Scott Spark 910 2013

He punctures ON EVERY RACE! Does not matter if its XC or marathon. Sometimes in practice as well. He literately races from puncture to puncture. :eek:

He does not know what remedy next.

He have tried:

Different tires, went from Maxxis ICON to GEAX Saguaro 2.2.

Experimented with different tire pressures . As high as tire 2.2 Bar (he is 73kg).

If he goes to lower tire pressure (<1.8 Bar) , get pinch punctures, dents the rim or burps the tire of the rim.

The LBS even gave him a new front rim, because at one stage he thought the rim was defective.

Checked and rechecked the suspension sag.

What next? Any other tires he should try? Adjust his riding style?

I ride the same tires on my Genius, am 20kg heavier and never puncture?