Rugby...

'Dale

Some sad news out of Sydney this morning:

Sydney - Wallabies back Christian

Lealiifano has been diagnosed with leukaemia and is undergoing

treatment in hospital, his franchise,

the Brumbies, said on Saturday.

Lealiifano, who has played 19 Tests for Australia and 117 Super Rugby games for the Brumbies, was diagnosed with the cancer that

affects the blood and bone marrow

following a brief illness.

The Brumbies released a statement

after first contacting all their

players, coaches and staff about

the diagnosis of the 28-year-old

inside back.

"At the moment it's just a matter of

ensuring Christian receives the best care and support he can at this

time," Brumbies interim chief

executive Phil Thomson said.

"He is one of the most respected

players within this group and this

news has come as a huge shock to

all of our players, coaches and

staff.

"Everyone knows that Christian is

an amazing young man, an

important member of this team and

of the Canberra community.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with

Christian and his family at this

time."

Australian Rugby Union chief

executive Bill Pulver said the

national body would do whatever

they could to support the player

and his family.

"We were shocked to receive the

news of Christian's diagnosis

yesterday and our thoughts are

firmly with him as he begins his

treatment," Pulver said from Rio de

Janeiro where he is attending the

debut of the Olympic rugby sevens

tournament.

"Anyone who has ever had any

involvement with Christian knows

he is an outstanding young man, as

well as being an exceptionally

talented rugby player."

Wallabies and Brumbies team-mate David Pocock said through social media that he was "still coming to terms with the news" .

"Really tough 24 hours trying to

come to terms with news about

Christian. One of the most

respected and loved players I've

played alongside," Pocock tweeted.

"I know he'll be strong through this

and Brumbies family will be

supporting him and his family

however we can."

Lealiifano's former coach, Andy

Friend, also tweeted his support

from the Rio Olympics.

"Just finished marching in opening

ceremony and received the news on @CLealiifano," he wrote from Rio. "My night doesn't feel so special anymore. Get well Bruz..."

New Zealand-born Lealiifano and

his partner, Luga, only in June

celebrated the birth of their son

Jeremih. "It's so special and it's hard to describe. Everyone says it's the best feeling, and it is," Lealiifano said at the time of the birth. "But you can't describe it, it's

unreal to bring another life into this

world and it's a massive blessing."

Thoughts and prayers with Lealiafano, his family and friends and his team mates at both the Brumbies and the Wallaby's! Times like these one is starkly reminded that Rugby is just a sport and the results aren't as important as we so often make it.

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ai, Leeutjies

I reckon they should have a weekend break before the finalists meet hey

To create a better matched game after months of log chafing.

The home side still maintains home ground advantage.

Must be the load of the international calendar that cannot allow a break ⚠️

I remain proud of a bunch of guys who are only got together because nobody else wanted them three years ago.

Akkies built a team out of rejects and are playing the most exciting rugby in the competition.

This was a game too far, but there were no excuses from the captain who was gracious but not disgraced in defeat.

Unlike the 'Canes captain, coach, president, none of whom acknowledged their opposition even in passing.

Edited by eddy

I remain proud of a bunch of guys who are only got together because nobody else wanted them three years ago.

Akkies built a team out of rejects and are playing the most exciting rugby in the competition.

This was a game too far, but there were no excuses from the captain who was gracious but not disgraced in defeat.

Unlike the 'Canes captain, coach, president, none of whom acknowledged their opposition even in passing.

Yes, I that was sickening.  Even when the Lions players were receiving their medals, the camera was focusing on the Canes captain.  I felt those players at least deserved that honour.

Edited by Moridin

Ai, Leeutjies

I reckon they should have a weekend break before the finalists meet hey

To create a better matched game after months of log chafing.

The home side still maintains home ground advantage.

Must be the load of the international calendar that cannot allow a break ⚠️

That could become a reality if World Rugby can get it right for there to be a global season. But that is one big if!

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

Eish! What a disappointment. The plan Naas was talking about (rush defence and putting the flyhalf under pressure) seemed to work for the Canes. Jantjies was rattled, early, and I think that laid the trend for the game. Still happier than most other supporters of other SA teams.

With the Lions playing the Aussie conference next year, there's no reason why they can't make it through again.

Ackerman made a call to rest key players, and many say it wasn't a good great. Had they won today, it would've been seen as a good move. The draw would've been different and who know what might have happened.

As for the Bokke, I think today's game showed us what to expect in the RC - the Kiwis are on another level, especially at home. Think we'll be playing for second (at best) or the dreaded wooden spoon.

Anyone who thought that travelling had no debilitating effect on a team needs a rethink. As with the Highlanders last week the Lions lacked energy and accuracy from what we've seen in the past two weeks. Nonetheless, a valiant campaign, lessons learnt for Ackerman regarding the importance of pole position and for Whitely for taking points when an offer - I though the Hurricanes scrum on 34 minutes was a defining moment of the game after Warren had decided against a kick for poles and took the scrum instead.

Need to take a leaf from the UEFA book - final two weeks after the semi and neutral referees - although Jackson wasn't anywhere as bad as I feared he'd be.

+300mins with no tries scored against them days it all. 'Canes were the better team.

Jantjies poor kicking and decision making along with some badly timed handling errors were telling. Lions scrum was great, although line outs were pretty average.

Best team won.

Super well done by the Lightning Goats ( blitzbokke )

50 points scored in 2 games and 0 points conceded.

ja, couldn't ask for more.

BUT - this is a knockout tournament with a bit of shadow boxing first - they reduce the field from 12 to 8 using the pools.

I'm not sure what the exact criteria are (points diff?) - but we're slated to meet the best of the third place teams - which could well be new zealand. then one of them will go home with no medal.

So takeaways from the olympic Sevens so far for me.

You can see it is a different tournament. Players are seriously nervous, never seen so much kicking. Refs even more nervous and blowing up everything (how many times have seen quick taps brought back to a spot 30cm closer; skew throw ins and breakdown penalties are actually getting called). Maybe a bit of weak argument, but kiwis have played 4, lost 3 - having refs actually policing them for once?!

Moving on - the tournament format doesn't really make sense to me. 2 games a day over three days, is the same as the usual 3 games over two days. This is the olympics, damnit - we need more matches. take your 12 teams, and put them in 2 pools of 6. round robin over 2 days, QTR, Semi, final on the third.

I would like to see more matches to help the players get over their nerves (plus it will improve the level of playing and therefore we as viewers will benefit) but against that we have to weigh the fact that with more high-level matches the risk of injury also increases.

I would like to see more matches to help the players get over their nerves (plus it will improve the level of playing and therefore we as viewers will benefit) but against that we have to weigh the fact that with more high-level matches the risk of injury also increases.

teams got 12 players plus 2 travelling reserves there. enough okes really!

bronze for blitzbokke,

looks like the nerves got to us in that semi-final. a few crucial errors that could have easily been tries against team GB. A bit disappointed as we were looking good for gold   :thumbdown: