Coffee machine

Jock does have a coffee shop too.... :) ok - it's more of a food place with coffee... pretty sure he only does doubles....

We sold Vovo, effective 1 August. Now I get to make my own coffee every morning :thumbup:, that is when my daughter gives me a chance to make it! 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey bud

Are you looking electronic again? Is it for an espresso machine? Or just in general?

Electronic, check this.

http://www.takealot.com/baratza-encore-grinder-black/PLID41627360

If you want to save some cash but still have a great grinder for your Aeropress etc. Then this is the perfect Manual Grinder

http://capecoffeebeans.co.za/collections/coffee-making-equipment/products/rhinowares-compact-hand-coffee-grinder-with-aeropress-adaptor?variant=22434370116

Thanks, I appreciate the info :thumbup:

The Sette will only be available later in the year. We will be bringing in some... I am busy playing with the standard... Its a game changer!

How much later in the year? Might be worth waiting for, even at R 7500....... :eek:

I purchased this Zacconni Riviera from a collector in Alfianello a few months ago. It was in bad shape, so I did a complete overhaul which involved a lot of cleaning, descaling, polishing, new pressure gauge and replacement of seals. After using it for two weeks I came to the conclusion that I prefer my Arrarex Caravel, and since I have limited storage space, I sold it. The new owner sounds very happy.

6d1f8ee752bc776951a8136fee3da10b.jpg

I purchased this Zacconni Riviera from a collector in Alfianello a few months ago. It was in bad shape, so I did a complete overhaul which involved a lot of cleaning, descaling, polishing, new pressure gauge and replacement of seals. After using it for two weeks I came to the conclusion that I prefer my Arrarex Caravel, and since I have limited storage space, I sold it. The new owner sounds very happy.

6d1f8ee752bc776951a8136fee3da10b.jpg

That is a thing of beauty Brian. Where do you find these things? There is just something about a lever machine.... What do they normally go for?

That is a thing of beauty Brian. Where do you find these things? There is just something about a lever machine.... What do they normally go for?

I follow a few collectors and enthusiasts on Instagram which is where I found this Riviera. I paid EUR200 for it.

You will find many vintage lever machines on ebay as well. I purchased my Caravel on ebay.

You can also find many lever machines on Francesco's website, he is a great guy and I have purchased parts from him last year without any issues: http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/onsale_eng.htm

I follow a few collectors and enthusiasts on Instagram which is where I found this Riviera. I paid EUR200 for it.

You will find many vintage lever machines on ebay as well. I purchased my Caravel on ebay.

You can also find many lever machines on Francesco's website, he is a great guy and I have purchased parts from him last year without any issues: http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/onsale_eng.htm

I picked up a 1980s La Pavoni Europiccola off Gumtree - in pretty good nick. They seem pop up occasionally with a very wide range of prices. I paid R2700 for mine six months ago, but I have seen a couple of La Pavoni Professionals being offered for R10k or more.

e.g. http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-coffee-makers/lansdowne/vintage-1959-caferina-dp-milano-la-pavoni/1001749764240910255633009

b7cb89ba06310456fb34d229d3a8cbf4.jpg

Home roasted yirgechefe. Took the roast too far so beans are very oily but delicious cappuccino...

Nice. One of my favorites. Drinking Yirgechefe at the moment. From Green Bean Roastery. Quite a light roast. City or full city perhaps. Still new to this terminology.

Since you are roasting I have a question. Am I correct in assuming that the lighter roasts retain more of the distinctive flavor of single origin beans? Is that the reason a lot of commercial roasts are so dark and oily?

Nice. One of my favorites. Drinking Yirgechefe at the moment. From Green Bean Roastery. Quite a light roast. City or full city perhaps. Still new to this terminology.

Since you are roasting I have a question. Am I correct in assuming that the lighter roasts retain more of the distinctive flavor of single origin beans? Is that the reason a lot of commercial roasts are so dark and oily?

Ya so I'm my little experience the further you push the bean the more flat the flavour becomes. The light to medium roasts retain more of those signature flavours!

Dark hides all kinds of things. Kills it.

Went to Truth for breakfast yesterday.

Service was exceptional. The breakfast was top notch. The coffee, I had a flat white, was out of this world.

I will pop in for an espresso later today.

so good to hear! Does anyone here want to try and win a free barista course? We are giving one away for 4 people on our website. Can post a link if anyone wants?

Ya so I'm my little experience the further you push the bean the more flat the flavour becomes. The light to medium roasts retain more of those signature flavours!

Dark hides all kinds of things. Kills it.

there is a technical side to this, one wants a full flavour development through the Maillard reaction, a fancy way of saying "browning".

Raw coffee tastes like raw pasta, at least a bit.

So heat browns it. not enough brown, astringent, dry, grassy flavours. go past "brown" and you start getting burnt flavours. The body and flavours literally burn off, reducing every characteristic bar bitterness.

Roast too fast and the outside of the bean develops before the inside, giving mixed results.

Too slowly and the beans "bake". Flavours never develop, the coffee can taste flat, cerealy and other weird stuff. 

Each varietal of coffee, each lot, each origin requires a different roast for perfection.

Obviously dark or light roasts are seldom going to taste good. But stop caring about the colour, and just find a roaster who understands this, and you can trust.

One wants to taste the joy the farmer managed to give the coffee, not the flavour of the roaster's "burn"

You can't cook a steak delicious, you cannot polish a turd. The job of a good roaster is to find a great coffee, and try and just stay out of its way! 

Does this make sense?

Edited by iteachcoffee

so good to hear! Does anyone here want to try and win a free barista course? We are giving one away for 4 people on our website. Can post a link if anyone wants?

I'm keen, what do I have to do?

there is a technical side to this, one wants a full flavour development through the Maillard reaction, a fancy way of saying "browning".

Raw coffee tastes like raw pasta, at least a bit.

So heat browns it. not enough brown, astringent, dry, grassy flavours. go past "brown" and you start getting burnt flavours. The body and flavours literally burn off, reducing every characteristic bar bitterness.

Roast too fast and the outside of the bean develops before the inside, giving mixed results.

Too slowly and the beans "bake". Flavours never develop, the coffee can taste flat, cerealy and other weird stuff. 

Each varietal of coffee, each lot, each origin requires a different roast for perfection.

Obviously dark or light roasts are seldom going to taste good. But stop caring about the colour, and just find a roaster who understands this, and you can trust.

One wants to taste the joy the farmer managed to give the coffee, not the flavour of the roaster's "burn"

You can't cook a steak delicious, you cannot polish a turd. The job of a good roaster is to find a great coffee, and try and just stay out of its way! 

Does this make sense?

I can relate, having spent two years at a locally based Italian confectioner. They roasted hazelnuts for use in their products, and boy was it trial and error. 

Sourced in Brazil and Italy, they also had different settings for each nut to get that "perfect" taste. Rancid, woody, burnt, raw, bitter were some of the unacceptable tastes we had to endure.

They also planted acres and acres of hazelnut trees near Kokstad as part of the long term investment, but those crops are only due to be harvested in 2017.