Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my setup for local travels, a Faema Baby Faemina and MadebyKnock grinder. This combination makes very good espresso. I suspect that this lever machine might brew at a lower temperature at higher altitudes which can cause some issues, but at sea level it has been brilliant so far.

047c08625b4d09b6ec8f21fb10765519.jpg

495020672a1fa74b9d6dbbc53f7d3759.jpg

How does that work? Do you heat water and then dispense it into the machine?

Yes it has a long basket. You dose the basket, press a shower screen on top to create a tamp, pour hot water up to the top edge of the basket, lift the levers (which lifts the piston) lock the portafilter and press down.

The water cools down quite quickly in the basket which is why I suspect that it might make slightly sour shots at higher altitudes.

It is quite ironic that such a simple device from the late 1950's and 1960's works so well and now in 2016 it is hard to find something similar that can match its performance.

I would think the temp won't be an issue then. 96 C is 96C no matter the altitude. Temp drop will just be a function of ambient temp I would think. Sure water boils at a lower temp but you aren't after 100C anyway. I think water boils around 96C in Joburg

I would think the temp won't be an issue then. 96 C is 96C no matter the altitude. Temp drop will just be a function of ambient temp I would think. Sure water boils at a lower temp but you aren't after 100C anyway. I think water boils around 96C in Joburg

I am not saying that temperature is related to altitude. However boiling point is related to altitude. When you pour 96 degC water into a stainless steel tube that is at ambient temperature the temperature will drop very quickly and might even drop below your desired brewing temperature. Here at the coast I found that the machine works very well. I will test it on the farm (1500m asl)next weekend and see what effect the lower boiling point has.

Most manual espresso devices share this low temperature problem because the water cools down very quickly once it enters the device.

I am not saying that temperature is related to altitude. However boiling point is related to altitude. When you pour 96 degC water into a stainless steel tube that is at ambient temperature the temperature will drop very quickly and might even drop below your desired brewing temperature. Here at the coast I found that the machine works very well. I will test it on the farm (1500m asl)next weekend and see what effect the lower boiling point has.

Most manual espresso devices share this low temperature problem because the water cools down very quickly once it enters the device.

Is there not a way to pre-heat the machine in the same way you would do with a flask?

Is there not a way to pre-heat the machine in the same way you would do with a flask?

You probably could, but it will detract from machine's simplicity. The simplicity is what makes it such a great device.

I have started playing around with my machines temp setting. Went up three degrees. It has made a quite noticeable difference. I was finding the current batch of coffee a little sour. Tried cutting the shot a little earlier and that did help. Upping the temp and pulling the shot for the normal time has had a similar but not identical effect.

Enjoying the machine but only now feel I am confident enough with it to start really experimenting.

I am looking for a good condition used espresso machine,

A full manual, solid brass or copper single group machine.

Preferably something a bit exotic with a good reputation for quality and reliability.

If you have something you're not using or looking to upgrade please let me know.

Cape Town.

Budget approx. ~R5000.

Thanks!

Anyone else here using an ABID? I cant seem to get a decent cup of coffee out of mine. Any tips?

Manual brewing is very trial and error till you get it right unfortunately. 

What grinder are you using and are you weighing coffee in/out?