Coffee machine

The main reason of getting a cheaper auto machine is the time saving. I enjoy coffee but with my busy life I am finding the mocca pot a bit time consuming at 04h00 in the morning. And then it all needs to be cleaned at the end of the day. So while I agree with you, I am looking for a convenient time saver. #MarginalGains

No no no no no. If you don't have time to make a proper cup of coffee you should consider making some lifestyle changes.

Reminds me of the meditation advice I got years ago. It goes like this. "You should meditate for an hour a day. If you don't have enough spare time to do that then you should meditate for 2 hours a day"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No no no no no. If you don't have time to make a proper cup of coffee you should consider making some lifestyle changes.

Reminds me of the meditation advice I got years ago. It goes like this. "You should meditate for an hour a day. If you don't have enough spare time to do that then you should meditate for 2 hours a day"

Hahaha classic come back!!

The meditation one.

So you saying a mokka pot is the only way to make a proper cup of  coffee?

Make a lifestyle change? Hmmm can't exactly get rid of my toddler and I start work really early. TBH don't want to get rid of the toddler and starting work early suits me better as I run a SME on the side so get home from my "day" job early afternoon and then carry on working at home. Just not enough time in the day to start work at 8 or 9.

So you saying a mokka pot is the only way to make a proper cup of  coffee?

Make a lifestyle change? Hmmm can't exactly get rid of my toddler and I start work really early. TBH don't want to get rid of the toddler and starting work early suits me better as I run a SME on the side so get home from my "day" job early afternoon and then carry on working at home. Just not enough time in the day to start work at 8 or 9.

Did you miss that I was making a joke?

The main reason of getting a cheaper auto machine is the time saving. I enjoy coffee but with my busy life I am finding the mocca pot a bit time consuming at 04h00 in the morning. And then it all needs to be cleaned at the end of the day. So while I agree with you, I am looking for a convenient time saver. #MarginalGains

Not necessarily a time saver but what about an Aeropress?

You still have to grind the beans and boil the kettle and let it steep, but IMO the flavours that you get from an Aeropress are way superior to a Moka (I have both. My Moka is a Valira)

I use an Able steel filter with my Aeropress instead of the paper filters. I recently had to revert back to my Moka as I had issues with the seal on my Aeropress and you can definitely taste the difference. I couldn't wait to go back to the Aeropress.

I cannot recommend an Aeropress enough. That coupled to a decent grinder and you are golden unless of course you like frothy milk drinks. 

I am no barista or aficionado, I drink my coffee from the Aeropress with a little sugar and a dash of milk. After the brew, cleaning is easy as well. Rinse the cap and filter and discard the puck into the bin. Give it a rinse and let it all air dry in the rack until the next cup.

My entry level espresso machine is in a box on a shelf. It hasn't been used in a very long time...

Not necessarily a time saver but what about an Aeropress?

You still have to grind the beans and boil the kettle and let it steep, but IMO the flavours that you get from an Aeropress are way superior to a Moka (I have both. My Moka is a Valira)

I use an Able steel filter with my Aeropress instead of the paper filters. I recently had to revert back to my Moka as I had issues with the seal on my Aeropress and you can definitely taste the difference. I couldn't wait to go back to the Aeropress.

I cannot recommend an Aeropress enough. That coupled to a decent grinder and you are golden unless of course you like frothy milk drinks

I am no barista or aficionado, I drink my coffee from the Aeropress with a little sugar and a dash of milk. After the brew, cleaning is easy as well. Rinse the cap and filter and discard the puck into the bin. Give it a rinse and let it all air dry in the rack until the next cup.

My entry level espresso machine is in a box on a shelf. It hasn't been used in a very long time...

That's another reason. I like cappucinos(little to no sugar) and my misses enjoys chai tea with frothed milk. Am currently using a manual milk frother(plunger style). Have looked into stand alone milk frothers and the decent ones are pricey. A decent grinder has been on the cards for a while, but would rather make a big purchase in the future on a machine that has everything included.

Will look into an aeropress, IICR you or someone on here had issues with a "fake" one from takealot?

Yes. Apologies.

He was actually saying you need a proper espresso machine, then you can leave it on all night.... and it will be ready to go AT ALL TIMES... how else do you think he can get through 2 hours of meditation a year? :) :)

He was actually saying you need a proper espresso machine, then you can leave it on all night.... and it will be ready to go AT ALL TIMES... how else do you think he can get through 2 hours of meditation a year? :) :)

Look that would be lekker but not right now. Don't have nearly enough zar for that. It's in the pipeline, promise!

That's another reason. I like cappucinos(little to no sugar) and my misses enjoys chai tea with frothed milk. Am currently using a manual milk frother(plunger style). Have looked into stand alone milk frothers and the decent ones are pricey. A decent grinder has been on the cards for a while, but would rather make a big purchase in the future on a machine that has everything included.

Will look into an aeropress, IICR you or someone on here had issues with a "fake" one from takealot?

Yip that was me. The fake Aeropress was purchased from a company in Ballito through Takealot and they (Takealot) refunded me without questions. The original replacement was sourced from the importer (More Flavour). I wore teh first one out and liked it so much I replaced it with another.

At the moment it is my goto brew solution. The grinder is due for replacement as well one of these days.... 

Aeropress is great but it's slow when in my opinion. Boiling the kettle standing not around while it brews, extracting. If you have time constraints it wouldn't be my first choice.

i actually travel with my clever dripper these days instead of my aeropress. i use the cotton filters for easy cleaning. i understand where long wheel base is coming from though. i waited for 5+ years before i could buy my machine.  During that time i bought a couple of "cheap" espresso machines, i passed both of them on to someone else within the first 6 months and played around with moka, aeropress, and more recently the clever dripper.  i enjoy all three of them on different days, but you need a good quality grinder (i currently use my "handground" with the manual methods) with any method you drink your coffee. if you cant afford an expensive machine at the moment, spend the moola you planned on spending on the machine on a grinder and just stick to what you have now

Edited by Oxter

This thread is absolutely drool worthy!! And reading the last few pages just motivated me to go get another cup for the day.

What do you guys do for coffee at work? I have my own office, which I can arrange as I wish. Thinking of getting a clever dripper for the office but still considering many many options!!!

Wow...I use to think Nescafe was lekka coffee...???????? then I came across this thread. ....got myself a mokka pot...now I can't live without it..have the 3 and 6 cup one...a triple latte...no better way to start the day...

Currently using Lavazza coffee. ..buy at PnP...any other recommendations guys....????