Coffee machine

Hi coffee junkies,

My loyal entry level Krups espresso machine packed-up after 2.5 years of service - it just can't reach the required temperatures so the coffee and the frof milk come out very, let's say, ***.

This happened 7 months ago and I've deprived myself and my gorgeous woman of a decent capuccino in the mornings. Why? Because I've been trying to find something similar in that price range (R2,000 when bought it at Boardmans in 2013) with a porta filter and wand.

Also, times have changed and it looks like for home use is either pods or fully automated bean to cup machines. Although Nespressos can be found at the above price range for ecological and other reasons we've decided not to go that route, so that leaves the fully automated ones.

So, I decided to bite the bullet and allocated a budget of R8,000 for a new machine. I've narrowed down the following models:

Delonghi ESAM4500 R7,999.99 - Hirsch's

Philips SAECO 3100 series HD 8834/01 - R7,799.99 Hirsch's

After extensive research I can't make up my mind. There doesn't seem to be that much difference and one thing that's tipping the scale towards the Philips is the warranty (2 years versus 1 of the Delonghi).

What's your opinions?

the DeLonghi is the best.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a JURA, cost is about R10k for entry level ones, but it will be the last one you ever have to buy...

Buy a JURA, cost is about R10k for entry level ones, but it will be the last one you ever have to buy...

Wayne I too am tired of the shitty coffee served up at filling stations and no good coffee shops around where I work, I have heard the Jura makes great coffee, can you confirm it's almost as good as coffee shops and who stocks Jura?

I hope someone might have a recommendation... I am looking for a company that can assist in specifying 2x coffee machines in a new office for approx. 80 people. Does anyone have a contact?

I hope someone might have a recommendation... I am looking for a company that can assist in specifying 2x coffee machines in a new office for approx. 80 people. Does anyone have a contact?

Just ask 101SCC..... or Iteachcoffee.... - 2 of CT's great coffee minds..... they will know who can help you if they don't themselves.

FWIW - we run a single 2 group espresso machine for 32 people - the machine is not under pressure at all - 101SCC helped with the acquisition.

Chat to http://www.capecoffeebeans.co.za, they are very knowledgeable, I get all my coffee through them.

hi, we can help... DM me?

Just ask 101SCC..... or Iteachcoffee.... - 2 of CT's great coffee minds..... they will know who can help you if they don't themselves.

FWIW - we run a single 2 group espresso machine for 32 people - the machine is not under pressure at all - 101SCC helped with the acquisition.

*blush*

Wayne I too am tired of the shitty coffee served up at filling stations and no good coffee shops around where I work, I have heard the Jura makes great coffee, can you confirm it's almost as good as coffee shops and who stocks Jura?

Stopped at a petrol station on a business trip recently because a colleague was raving about how good the coffee at the shop was. He went in to order while I filled up, so I pop in afterwards to see them making the last coffee... the only machine they had was a Jura F8! 

Never seen one used in that kinda of commercial environment before.

Where do you live? I know The Coffee Co sell Jura. The branch by me often has refurbished units as well.

https://thecoffeeco.co.za/

Stopped at a petrol station on a business trip recently because a colleague was raving about how good the coffee at the shop was. He went in to order while I filled up, so I pop in afterwards to see them making the last coffee... the only machine they had was a Jura F8! 

Never seen one used in that kinda of commercial environment before.

Once went to Italy. Stopped off at their version of a One Stop on a freeway. There were three baristas pulling shots and the coffee was really good. Wish we had that here.

9000000011920095.jpgWe did our research and this is what we bought for home use  .Melitta Caffeo Bistro .It is simple, fast and easy to clean  

• 2 weeks later...

Yuppiechef are offering specials on a lot of espresso machines - just thought I'd mention it. . . 

the DeLonghi is the best.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your suggestion, coppi. After much deliberation I decided to pay a bit more and went for the Saeco Incanto at R10k on special at Hirschs. So far I'm very happy.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone used or know about the Ascaso Dream Coffee Machine's?

Reviews seem mixed, either great and reliable or totally unreliable and very expensive parts. Couldn't you rebuild it with generic spares for things like heaters and thermostats?

Build seems amazing, brass tank, sold die cast aluminium body, looks the part. I can get a mint 2hnd one for around R2k.

Looks like this:

Espresso_Light_Blue_1024x1024.jpg?v=1376

Edited by Skylark