Cadence Nutrition

Hi Jeroen

Are 100km road races and rides more suitable to Carbofuel or to Marathon? Which should I try as a new user - i dont do stage races.

Carb Fuel baby yeah

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jeroen

Are 100km road races and rides more suitable to Carbofuel or to Marathon? Which should I try as a new user - i dont do stage races.

First bottle - Marathon

Second bottle - CarboFuel

Hi everyone!

I've quickly scrolled through this thread and did a bit of reading of what everyone have to say.

I've been using USN for the last 3 years of my MTBing and find it very difficult to move away from it, but at the moment it feel if my body is getting used to the product and that it dont work for me anymore.....i know it might be stupid thinking that?!

I feel like trying cadence, but not 100% sure how to use it to get the most benefit out of it.

My rides in the week is 1 - 2 hours a day and weekends 4 - 6 hour rides.

Last qeustion....does these kind of nutrition (cadence; usn; 32gi) tend to make you gain weight?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I've quickly scrolled through this thread and did a bit of reading of what everyone have to say.

I've been using USN for the last 3 years of my MTBing and find it very difficult to move away from it, but at the moment it feel if my body is getting used to the product and that it dont work for me anymore.....i know it might be stupid thinking that?!

I feel like trying cadence, but not 100% sure how to use it to get the most benefit out of it.

My rides in the week is 1 - 2 hours a day and weekends 4 - 6 hour rides.

Last qeustion....does these kind of nutrition (cadence; usn; 32gi) tend to make you gain weight?

Hi Riaanoster, I thought I would answer your first question by explaining my Cadence usage. This is as suggested on the Cadence website: 

• Rides longer than 2hrs, less than 3hrs: 750ml of Marathon and water
  • Rides longer than 3hrs, 750ml Marathon for first 90mins, followed by CarboFuel for the remainder of the ride, whilst always sipping on water in-between.
  • High intensity efforts (intervals or marathon races): I follow the above steps as well as consuming 1x Energy Gel per hour. Make sure to drink plenty of water when using any Gels.
  • XCO races: Cadence specifies 3x Energy Gels/hr. I use 1x Energy gel every 25-30mins coupled with Carbofuel carried on my bike. I sip on water in the feedzone at the end of each lap.
  • Post-ride recovery: after easy rides I use Classic Recovery/Revive. After harder sessions, I drink Protein Fuel. Always within 30mins of the end of  a ride.

I hope this helps.

With regards to weight gain, from my understanding of the products and their intended uses, it shouldn't have that effect, especially if used as suggested.

Hi Riaanoster, I thought I would answer your first question by explaining my Cadence usage. This is as suggested on the Cadence website: 

• Rides longer than 2hrs, less than 3hrs: 750ml of Marathon and water
  • Rides longer than 3hrs, 750ml Marathon for first 90mins, followed by CarboFuel for the remainder of the ride, whilst always sipping on water in-between.
  • High intensity efforts (intervals or marathon races): I follow the above steps as well as consuming 1x Energy Gel per hour. Make sure to drink plenty of water when using any Gels.
  • XCO races: Cadence specifies 3x Energy Gels/hr. I use 1x Energy gel every 25-30mins coupled with Carbofuel carried on my bike. I sip on water in the feedzone at the end of each lap.
  • Post-ride recovery: after easy rides I use Classic Recovery/Revive. After harder sessions, I drink Protein Fuel. Always within 30mins of the end of  a ride.
I hope this helps.

With regards to weight gain, from my understanding of the products and their intended uses, it shouldn't have that effect, especially if used as suggested.

Thank you for the reply Martin!

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using the Cadence Nutrition energy gels of late, and I think they are the shiz. But, distribution is a problem.

Today, I decided to stock up for my forthcoming races, so I started to phone around. I called Dunkeld Cycles, Tony Impey, Johnson Cycle works, Concept Cyclery Melrose Arch. Not one had stock of any Cadence products. It irritated me that these cycling stores which are in a do-able radius of my office had no stock of this cycling specific product, and gave no indication that they ever would.

I know that Cycle Lab stock the stuff, but with trafffic, that is a 2.5 hour diesel slurping shlepp. Which I undertook - but only because i am lucky enough to have a driver to whom I delegated the task. So now I am the proud owner of 10 vanilla gels (yummy flavour btw)but if I would have had to make the journey my lazy-ass self, I would have just popped into Dischem and bought Hammer or Gu.

The brand needs to be more accessible; it was a costly, time consuming (billable hours kinda time) exercise to get the stuff. I don't think i want to go through this ball ache again.

Anyway, What really narked me is that i also tried to call Omnico to ask them where I could get stock, but they did not pick up.

Yip! Don't know what is worse. Dischem stocking them or omnico distributing them. Had issues finding stock with both. Next time I will change back to hammer

I battle to find the Cadence products (nothing at Dischem or any close LBS') although I like them I sense they may not be long for this world.

The 4 P's of product marketing:

1. Product

2. Price

3. Place (distribution)

4. Promotion (advertising)

Get any of the 4 wrong and your marketing is not working.

Sounds like Cadence Nutrition have scored top marks for 1, decent marks for 2, but they've got a lot of work to do on 3. And it's dragging everything down with it.

I reside in Milnerton, Cape Town and am yet to walk into any of my local bike shops and not find Cadence products on their shelves - this include Cycles Direct, Cycle Technix and City Cycles. That's all within 15mins drive. If I widen the circle to include Cape Town CBD and the Bellville/Durbanville area, then there are probably 20 bike shops all stocking Cadence products, including Chris Willemse where I bought several Cadence Gels yesterday.

I reside in Milnerton, Cape Town and am yet to walk into any of my local bike shops and not find Cadence products on their shelves - this include Cycles Direct, Cycle Technix and City Cycles. That's all within 15mins drive. If I widen the circle to include Cape Town CBD and the Bellville/Durbanville area, then there are probably 20 bike shops all stocking Cadence products, including Chris Willemse where I bought several Cadence Gels yesterday.

just wondering but what should Harry and others do then? relocate .....

Doc, I would consider investing in consulting with someone who specializes in strategies to get your product to the market. In my mind, there's no doubt that you have a superior product, but there is a distinct lack of focus on your customer.

Agreed, getting cadence is like a 45 min trek for me, and stock isn't guaranteed  at cyclelab. Residing in JHB South

I have been using the Cadence Nutrition energy gels of late, and I think they are the shiz. But, distribution is a problem.

Today, I decided to stock up for my forthcoming races, so I started to phone around. I called Dunkeld Cycles, Tony Impey, Johnson Cycle works, Concept Cyclery Melrose Arch. Not one had stock of any Cadence products. It irritated me that these cycling stores which are in a do-able radius of my office had no stock of this cycling specific product, and gave no indication that they ever would.

I know that Cycle Lab stock the stuff, but with trafffic, that is a 2.5 hour diesel slurping shlepp. Which I undertook - but only because i am lucky enough to have a driver to whom I delegated the task. So now I am the proud owner of 10 vanilla gels (yummy flavour btw)but if I would have had to make the journey my lazy-ass self, I would have just popped into Dischem and bought Hammer or Gu.

The brand needs to be more accessible; it was a costly, time consuming (billable hours kinda time) exercise to get the stuff. I don't think i want to go through this ball ache again.

Anyway, What really narked me is that i also tried to call Omnico to ask them where I could get stock, but they did not pick up.

Edited by AngelourKing

For the Western Cape guys the products at Bridge Cycles and Olympic Cycles. 

If all fails give Ominco a call to find where you can get it from. 

Hi Everyone and thank you for your feedback.

From the comments and our own recon it is clear that the problem is primarily one in the Gauteng area and we are actively looking at solutions to overcome this.

Rest assured that we will improve the situation in the coming weeks.

Thanks,

Jeroen