Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fox Rampage Pro Carbon.

More than I wanted to spend but got gatvol of waiting and I was able to try it on and it fit beautifully. 

Also managed to wangle 10% discount  :thumbup:

post-10402-0-39014200-1441732140_thumb.jpg

Edited by Brawler

Didn't you get a new bike just the other day? 

Flip man... I need a new one tooooo

:) I did... I'll admit, I might have a slight problem.. haha..

Well, this might seem an odd one, but I can't wait to hit the trails on the weekend: 120mm solo air spring. For my (previously 100mm) Anthem.

After ordering one of these from the local guys and waiting months with responses like: "sorry, no stock, try again in 3 weeks", "if you give us the fork we might be able to help you", "sorry, that's not possible", etc., I got fed up, imported the part and did the work myself at less than half the local cost. On the upshot, I now have an intimate understanding of how a RS solo air functions.

post-41904-0-43683800-1441783835_thumb.jpeg

post-41904-0-97551600-1441783836_thumb.jpeg

Well, this might seem an odd one, but I can't wait to hit the trails on the weekend: 120mm solo air spring. For my (previously 100mm) Anthem.

After ordering one of these from the local guys and waiting months with responses like: "sorry, no stock, try again in 3 weeks", "if you give us the fork we might be able to help you", "sorry, that's not possible", etc., I got fed up, imported the part and did the work myself at less than half the local cost. On the upshot, I now have an intimate understanding of how a RS solo air functions.

I've been rocking a 120mm Reba on my Anthem since early August. Also chucked the standard stem for something shorter. Can't believe the difference 20mm makes...

Really, really love riding that bike at the moment!

Please let me know how you went about doing this ? I have a sid fork that's sitting at 90mm that could do with some more travel. It's got the markings on the stachons so I'm guessing it's possible. Where did you get the air spring from and what sorta costs are involved if you don't mind me asking ?

I've been rocking a 120mm Reba on my Anthem since early August. Also chucked the standard stem for something shorter. Can't believe the difference 20mm makes...

Really, really love riding that bike at the moment!

Yea, I switched to a 60mm stem a few months back. What a difference over the 110mm I had!

The best thing about that switch is I just randomly bought it because it was super cheap, and when I went for my bike setup a few weeks back it turned out to be the correct length.

Please let me know how you went about doing this ? I have a sid fork that's sitting at 90mm that could do with some more travel. It's got the markings on the stachons so I'm guessing it's possible. Where did you get the air spring from and what sorta costs are involved if you don't mind me asking ?

There's a few steps to this. I haven't done any research on dual dual air, so all information I put here is regarding solo air for 2013 onward forks. I believe 2012 and prior had spacers you could remove to increase travel.

There's 2 lengths of stanchions 80-100mm and 80-120mm. If you have 120mm markings on them, you have the latter. A new air spring shaft is required to increase travel to the desired length. This is determined by the length of the shaft due to the fixed location of the venturi valve on the inside of the left stanchion leg.

I imported from bike24, lumped in with my SRAM groupset order so shipping costs wasn't an issue, since I was buying the other stuff anyways.

Shaft:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;search=rockshox+air+spring;menu=1000%2C2%2C121;product=130915

Air spring module:

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;search=rockshox+air+spring;menu=1000%2C2%2C121;product=130982

Costs are simple: listed price - 20% (EU country exports ex vat) + ~15% SA VAT/handling + 20EU shipping. Exchange rate fluctuations apply between time order is paid and VAT is calculated.

I ended up with the entire module because the shaft was out of stock and they couldn't tell me when it was coming back into stock; they however gave it to me at the price of the shaft itself. If you can get hold of the shaft, you just pull all the other components off your old shaft.

You may also need bottomless tokens depending on the travel you desire to switch to (120mm doesn't use any tokens).

Once you've got all the parts, it's just a case of opening your fork, swapping out the air spring and putting it all back together. Just service everything while you're at it, though you don't need to touch the damper.

One warning, there are certain models of SID forks which may have 120mm markings on the stanchions, but only have a 115mm damper for whatever reason. If you install a 120mm spring into one of those you're going to get a nice "clunk" at the top of your travel.

Clear as mud?

Edited by cairbre

Giant AnyRoad 1

After looking for this bike in my size for 2weeks, walked into a store in Tygervalley area, found one by fluke while dodging traffic... :thumbup:

After some negotiation with the store owner, my new ride was loaded into the car  :clap:

post-45902-0-18007200-1441897738_thumb.jpg

post-45902-0-15155400-1441897739_thumb.jpg

post-45902-0-81966200-1441897739_thumb.jpg

Been trying to get my hands on a pair of those since they were released.

Really impressive shoes.

Where did you manage to find these gems?

after being to a few local shops last week to try on shoes, I decided to go with the shimano r171's. Although in pics the black/white combo doesnt look all that good, I actually quite like it when its on my foot, clipped in.

attachicon.gifr171.jpg

Giant AnyRoad 1

After looking for this bike in my size for 2weeks, walked into a store in Tygervalley area, found one by fluke while dodging traffic... [emoji106]

After some negotiation with the store owner, my new ride was loaded into the car :clap:

What a BEAUT!#jealous

What a BEAUT!#jealous

Thanks Ben. I went as far as calling shops in JHB/KZN incl the Giant agents... NaDa...

The Bike Gods blessed me in the end  :devil: