Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got my Absolute Black 32t NW Oval chainring yesterday...Took it for a ride last night around Majik...Wow, easier on the hills than my stock 32 and acceleration was great on the ST :D

post-10323-0-68367300-1445502616_thumb.jpg

Just got my Absolute Black 32t NW Oval chainring yesterday...Took it for a ride last night around Majik...Wow, easier on the hills than my stock 32 and acceleration was great on the ST :D

Does this really make a noticible difference to your ride. Any scientific evedence proving these oval rings are easier to pedal?

Would like to see how it looks on the bike☺

Does this really make a noticible difference to your ride. Any scientific evedence proving these oval rings are easier to pedal?

Would like to see how it looks on the bike☺

Watts are watts and torque is torque. These would be easier to peddle when the chain is on the "short" part but harder on the "tall" part of the ring, compared to a standard circular ring of the same tooth count.

Well either I got fitter since my Monday ride on the same route or it makes a difference.

What I noticed is that at the "tipping point" (or top-dead-centre) it is easier to put the power down because the chainring is narrower there.

I ride flats and definitely noticed my pedal stroke feeling more circular than usual. So all in all after 1 ride I am sold.

And from what I can tell teh Absolute Black guys have done a lot of research into an optimal oval shape. It's quite different to say the Wolf Tooth oval design. 

So yeah, enough word of mouth, scientific and now actual experience for me to use it. Will try to remember to take a pic tonight of the setup on the bike...

The ONLY prob was that the 32t is as small as a 30t on the short axis. I bought 1x chainring bolts which are too short as the chainring has standoffs for chain clearance :P So will be getting new bolts or swapping them out soon.

Cheers

I was just wondering about the difference as there are so many new components coming out to empty our wallets????.

Thanks for the feedback and would be nice to see it on the bike as it looks really cool☺

Well either I got fitter since my Monday ride on the same route or it makes a difference.

What I noticed is that at the "tipping point" (or top-dead-centre) it is easier to put the power down because the chainring is narrower there.

I ride flats and definitely noticed my pedal stroke feeling more circular than usual. So all in all after 1 ride I am sold.

And from what I can tell teh Absolute Black guys have done a lot of research into an optimal oval shape. It's quite different to say the Wolf Tooth oval design. 

So yeah, enough word of mouth, scientific and now actual experience for me to use it. Will try to remember to take a pic tonight of the setup on the bike...

The ONLY prob was that the 32t is as small as a 30t on the short axis. I bought 1x chainring bolts which are too short as the chainring has standoffs for chain clearance :P So will be getting new bolts or swapping them out soon.

Cheers

Wont the Bolts that you use on a 2x10 crank be long enough? I 'm thinking about buying the 32T Oval Chainring, and just using my Bolts that's on my my 2x10 crank. Or wont it work.

Wont the Bolts that you use on a 2x10 crank be long enough? I 'm thinking about buying the 32T Oval Chainring, and just using my Bolts that's on my my 2x10 crank. Or wont it work.

Na the 2x10 bolts will work fine. But as I was already running 1x10 I had chopped mine down and they were also too short. Just went to LBS and they gave me an old set of longer ones to use. No biggie  :thumbup:

Na the 2x10 bolts will work fine. But as I was already running 1x10 I had chopped mine down and they were also too short. Just went to LBS and they gave me an old set of longer ones to use. No biggie  :thumbup:

Cool. I've been wanting to go over to 1x10 for a long time now. I think I must just put in my order at Naas @ evobikes.

Wifey doesn't have to know. :whistling:  :ph34r:

Nice. Would lile to know your experience with the shorter stem after your first ride.

Hi AlanD

I've only rode around the block, but the steering is very sharp and responsive. Haven't done a proper longer ride, but I'm in a much more upright position which I prefer (lower back problems and 2 vertebrae seized)

Hi AlanD

I've only rode around the block, but the steering is very sharp and responsive. Haven't done a proper longer ride, but I'm in a much more upright position which I prefer (lower back problems and 2 vertebrae seized)

Yeah, it would be, given that you've still got the same bar. What width is the bar?

Yeah, it would be, given that you've still got the same bar. What width is the bar?

It is the original the bike came with and according to the Merida website, it's a 720mm o/s flatbar.

It is the original the bike came with and according to the Merida website, it's a 720mm o/s flatbar.

Okay cool. Not as narrow as it looked. If you do feel the need to go wider, go for the rapide bar. Farking strong and reasonably light. Cheap as chips as well