It nearly happened to me too.

Sammajoor

So driving to work this morning, I nearly took out a cyclist. Riding against the traffic, NO lights, NO reflective vest & NO stopping at a red light. He drove into the car on my left as I saw him on time and stopped in time to avoid a collision .... JUST

EISH, be visible out there PLEASE.

Edited by Sammajoor

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are waaay too many cyclists on the road without making themselves visible.

NO one sees that R15 single Led little blinker jobbie with pap batteries people.

Invest in you own safety and get some proper lights!!

I would rather look like a christmas tree than be tree food!

So driving to work this morning, I nearly took out a cyclist.

There's cyclists in gatsonderwater?

What I can't understand is the cyclist with the 1000lumens front light on his bike with no tail light :eek:

Couldn't agree more!! And then when there is a rear light, more often than not it's hardly visible beyond 50 meters. I've often wondered why they don't prescribe a standard for rear lights.

Wrap some reflective tape around your cranks. You don't need to go overboard, but that stuff is noticeable, esp when spinning.

There's cyclists in gatsonderwater?

Nope in Pretoria, travel to the far east every day. Germies, Knights. That's how I roll.

Yeah, on my commute by m'cycle every day, I see loads of guys without ANY form of visibility. thankfully there is a broad emergency lane but other than that, they are screwed.

Most ride with the flow of traffic but you get the odd tjop that thinks it's better to ride opposing traffic O_o

and the worst is that even on a tight budget cyclists can pick up entry level lights from Mr Price for like R50, there is really no excuse

There was a cyclist in Witbank who rode to the gym last week , did the spinning class, and then set off to ride home without any lights, reflectors, reflective tape and wearing dark clothes. Sunset in Witbank is just after 5pm now.

I bought a high visibilty vest for him to wear. I am just waiting to see him at the gym to do the handover.

There was a cyclist in Witbank who rode to the gym last week , did the spinning class, and then set off to ride home without any lights, reflectors, reflective tape and wearing dark clothes. Sunset in Witbank is just after 5pm now.

I bought a high visibilty vest for him to wear. I am just waiting to see him at the gym to do the handover.

There really are good people out there - BIG UP to you bro.

The scary thing is that even WITH lights youare at risk. I have a 900 lumen Magicshine light up front as well as a Blackburn Flea at the back and a Tjopp pulled out in front of me the other morning. I was about 5m away. How the heck he "didn't see me" I have no idea...

If you are a cyclist you will see cyclists. If you aren't, well then you probably won't.

I agree with Tankman's "I would rather look like a christmas tree than be tree food!" approach. I am going to add reflective tape to my cranks and frame as well as add more lights.

Bottom line is as cyclists we have to be more proactive and look out for ourselves. Easier said than done i understand.

IMHO us 'recreational' cyclists have no excuse not to be 'lit up' properly but the 'commuter' guys who are most of the ones you see riding against the traffic (and we know why most do that .....) are somewhat different and the reason I say this is that I discussed this with a gardener we had for a while and he said that if you are earning just enough (and sometimes too little) to feed and house your family even the 'mere 50 rand' we talk of is not to be 'sqaundered' on lights and stuff.

I have two staff members that cycle to work every day bought them front and rear lights and bright jackets. Now that it is winter buy winter clothes for them. They have been cycling to work for about 6 months now because they are dedicated on cycling to work I went and bought a bike rack to place on the taxi that comes and collects my staff at night as I am in the restaurant business . They save R 10 on transport a day R 60 a week. The problem now is that that the other staff want to cycle to work as well but the rack only has place for one more bike on the rack . Now comes the African idea boss what about the roof rack for the Taxi. So now we have a roof rack for two more bikes. Where do all the ideas come from tha bike magazine that I places in the shop. Think I must take them away next thing they will want a 29r. The great thing about this is that they read the magazines and are always asking questions about the products and new innovation .

Here's a thought....

Next time you are out shopping (LBS, online or wherever) and you see a set if lights (Front and rear), drop a set into your basket. Keep that set (With batteries) in your cubby hole/gym bag and the next time you see somebody without lights, pull them over and give them a gift of light (life) Who knows, you might just have saved somebody's life or somebody's father's life.

Have a look at this link:

Bike Lights

They are really easy to buy from and for around R50 you can make a difference.