AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Yoh! 1.35kg compared to 835 grams for the 2.35 trailstar.

Looks like the addix are colour coded though. Not sure what difference that makes to weight. So the purple 2.6 are probably the super gravity ones.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Schwalbe-Addix-Tire-Color.jpg

Colour = compound. Purple super soft only available on DH or SG casings.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. They're probably also not going to play too nice on a 25mm ID rim in a non-Boost fork. 

Guess I'll go with a 2.4" DHR II front and back. 

enduro-mtb magazine rates that Maxxis the best outta the current crop of tyres seemingly preferred by the enduros out there. Pity that review only went with the snakeskin version of the Magic Mary. So much less squirm from the SG carcasses.

Anyone run a WTB Convict / Breakout 2.5 combo?

I'm thinking of running that on my hardtail, that big 2.5 on the rear will add some comfort. Just not sure how they'll work on 24mm internal rims paired with a non boost revelation

They are BIG Rich - Super high volume especially the Breakout which looks like mid plus size. Should work OK on 24mm rims but you may have to run them with a little higher pressure to keep them tight and less squirmy.

I'd also love to try some WTB rubber, but am so paranoid about how notoriously tight those tyres are and that you have to break a couple of tyre levers and bones just to get them on and off of the rim. 

They are BIG Rich - Super high volume especially the Breakout which looks like mid plus size. Should work OK on 24mm rims but you may have to run them with a little higher pressure to keep them tight and less squirmy.

Thanks Balt.  I'm thinking it would work on my Ragley - which says max rear tyre size 2.4, but guys have squeezed a nobby nic 2.8 on them before. 

I'll be running a foamo in the rear so hopefully that would help.

But first i need QR end caps for my wider wheel - currently running a spare 19mm internal wheel at the back :<

I'd also love to try some WTB rubber, but am so paranoid about how notoriously tight those tyres are and that you have to break a couple of tyre levers and bones just to get them on and off of the rim. 

I setup my 650b with the trailboss. They are a little tight, if I recall, I used some sunlight soap to get them off. Putting them on wasnt a problem.

enduro-mtb magazine rates that Maxxis the best outta the current crop of tyres seemingly preferred by the enduros out there. Pity that review only went with the snakeskin version of the Magic Mary. So much less squirm from the SG carcasses.

Nice review, pity they chose the De Baron projekt tho. 

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/continental-baron-der-kaiser-tires-sea-otter-2014.html

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Had some WTBs on a while back, and paired with some Spanks I broke more than a few tyre levers trying to get them off. Was trying to get them off to insert a mushroom plug for a sidewall cut at 9pm on a Friday evening in front of the TV - all I can say is that I was dangerously close to throwing the wheel at my TV. Seriously frustrating experience that was!

Had some WTBs on a while back, and paired with some Spanks I broke more than a few tyre levers trying to get them off. Was trying to get them off to insert a mushroom plug for a sidewall cut at 9pm on a Friday evening in front of the TV - all I can say is that I was dangerously close to throwing the wheel at my TV. Seriously frustrating experience that was!

Ja, nee. Don't need that frustration in my life.

Eish. Been there, done that. WTB wolverine & weirwolf, spank subrosa 30's. JINNE. 

I must say I find the Enduro reviews a bit amateurish but perhaps its just the poor translation from German. I have ridden the DHR2 2.3 (normal tubeless) and MM 2.3 (snake) a bit. I'd say the Maxxis is pretty similar on sidewall strength. i haven't noticed the MM wobbling about on cornering as they claim either - its the most grippy and predictable tyre I've ever ridden. The 2.4 Maxxis is probably better than the 2.3's I tried  - they looked pretty thin and unconvincing compared to the MM up front. Either way I'd be happy to ride either of these up front with the SS or RR out back... The fact that they mention the HD as a back tyre makes me doubt the review a bit more - they are rubbish. I am sure Schwalbe make a better option for wet conditioners out back than that. 

I've just trolled the rest of that review which bears out my doubts about the quality of the testing and conclusions. The E10 cheaper MM gets the same value rating as the Maxxis - huh? The rate the Wild gripper as "predictable" but give it only 3 stars for directional stability. One look at its tread pattern screams "wild slipper" to me :-) 

Edited by Headshot

I must say I find the Enduro reviews a bit amateurish but perhaps its just the poor translation from German. I have ridden the DHR2 2.3 (normal tubeless) and MM 2.3 (snake) a bit. I'd say the Maxxis is pretty similar on sidewall strength. i haven't noticed the MM wobbling about on cornering as they claim either - its the most grippy and predictable tyre I've ever ridden. The 2.4 Maxxis is probably better than the 2.3's I tried  - they looked pretty thin and unconvincing compared to the MM up front. Either way I'd be happy to ride either of these up front with the SS or RR out back... The fact that they mention the HD as a back tyre makes me doubt the review a bit more - they are rubbish. I am sure Schwalbe make a better option for wet conditioners out back than that. 

I've just trolled the rest of that review which bears out my doubts about the quality of the testing and conclusions. The E10 cheaper MM gets the same value rating as the Maxxis - huh? The rate the Wild gripper as "predictable" but give it only 3 stars for directional stability. One look at its tread pattern screams "wild slipper" to me :-) 

Yip. 

They're reviews are always very brief and vague. Perhaps a bit more substantial in Deutsche. 

Little birdy told me the new Butcher 2.6 Grid with Gripton compound will be hitting shops very soon at about R800.

Reckon that'll be replacing my Minion DHF 2.3 on the front, and keep that as back up.

• 1 month later...

3C / TR / EXO 

is a light weight Xc type compound right ?  Will it hold up to pretoria's rocks ?

My understanding is the EXO casing is one level down from the Maxxis Double Down casing which offers the highest "protection". So EXO should hold up to rocks pretty well. 3C is the rubber compound and TR refers to "tubeless ready". 

More info here http://www.maxxis.com/other-bicycle-information/bicycle-technology/advance-tire-construction