Bwahahahaha - Comrades Winner Tests Positive

TNT1

incentives are big even for top 10 woman, i knew a woman that finished top 10 for many years and all the incentives is where the money comes from

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, you're such a ball of fun to be around :wub:

Thanks honey http://images.zaazu.com/img/Kiss-Smiley-animated-animation-holiday-smiley-emoticon-000380-large.gif

well that is disappointing news indeed. Interesting is that the substance is methyhexamine, which is what chilliboy and bjorn basson were tested positive for - and the entire springbok squad would have too if their names were drawn. they got off because it was in their supplements. I wonder if ludwick would go for the same line, as a precedent was set there?

Comrades Marathon winner Ludwick Mamabolo has tested positive for drugs – the second such finding in the event's history – the SA Institute for Drug Free Sport (SAIDS) said on Tuesday.

Mamabolo, who won the 89km ultra-marathon between Pietermaritzburg and Durban on June 3, tested positive for methylhexaneamine, SAIDS said in a statement.

"As per the protocol for testosterone cases, we have to rule out endogenous production [manufactured in the body] of testosterone by the athlete's body and any medical abnormality," said SAIDS chief executive Khalid Galant.

"The sample was sent for further analysis to the doping control laboratory in Cologne, Germany.

"SAIDS will be able to determine if indeed the athlete tested positive for testosterone after the Cologne laboratory returns the result in approximately four weeks."

Mamabolo was the first South African to win the annual ultra-marathon since Sipho Ngomane in 2005.

Galant said banned stimulants like methylhexaneamine gave athletes a heightened sense of awareness, energy, and euphoria, and could mask fatigue levels in long-distance races such as the Comrades.

According to SAIDS, Mamabolo could face a two-year ban and be stripped of his title if found guilty by an independent tribunal.

If Mamabolo is stripped of the title, another South African, Bongmusa Mthembu, who finished second, will replace him as this year's winner.

SAIDS said it conducted a number of doping control tests after this year's race.

Among those tested were the top 10 finishers in the men's and women's categories.

According to Galant, another runner also tested positive for a high testosterone level.

Mamabolo had the option to have his B-sample tested.

"The B-sample is a 30 millilitre sample of the original sample of the athlete," Galant said.

"The sample is divided into A and B samples at the time of the test being performed.

"The two samples are independently sealed at this stage.

"[The] B-sample is only opened at the request of the athlete.

"He may provide a witness to the opening of the B-sample to ensure that it has not been tampered with."

Charl Mattheus was stripped of the Comrades title in 1992 after testing positive for a banned substance. His fellow South African Jetman Msuthu, who finished second, was awarded the title.

Mattheus maintained that he unwittingly took medicine containing a banned substance in the build-up to the race.

He returned to win the Comrades title in 1997.

Another South African, Sergio Motsoeneng, tested positive after he finished third in the 2010 race.

Athletics SA president James Evans would not comment on Mamabolo's positive test.

"We can't comment until SAIDS has finished its investigation," Evans said.

The Comrades Marathon Association was unavailable for comment, according to the receptionist, as its entire staff complement was in a meeting.

This cannot be true as I am sure I heard somewhere that only ROAD cyclist dope. :devil:

:whistling:

Ralepelle and Basson were facing potential two-year bans but the WADA downgraded MHA's classification in January.There had been a number of positive tests in other sports related to the inadvertent use of the stimulant, originally designed for use as a nasal decongestant.

The judicial committee agreed to treat MHA under its new classification, which allowed for a sanction to be reduced or eliminated if it could be established how a substance entered the body.

http://www.telegraph...ug-scandal.html

Ralepelle and Basson were charged and provisionally suspended after they tested positive for the banned stimulant Methylhexamine (MHA) following South Africa's Test against Ireland on November 6.

The Springboks launched an immediate investigation into the source of the stimulant, fearing at the time it may have been contained in supplements or sports drinks given to the whole squad.

During the hearing in Cape Town it was confirmed that MHA was contained in supplements provided to the Springboks team in the warm-up before the game in Dublin.

Ralepelle and Basson were just the unfortunate players to be tested after South Africa's 23-21 victory at the Aviva Stadium.

The three-man disciplinary panel exonerated both players of any wrongdoing and admonished the South African Rugby Union (SARU) for not having the supplements tested more comprehensively.

SARU chief executive Jurie Roux apologised to Ralepelle and Basson.

"This verdict completely quashes any idea that either the players or the team were guilty of any attempt to cheat. No responsibility attaches to the players at all," Roux said.

"The banned stimulant was in a supplement given to the players in the warm-up before the Test against Ireland and is a product that has been used by the Springboks before - without any adverse analytical findings - and is used by other professional and national teams in both hemispheres.

"It was manufactured in the UK and was tested at SARU's request by one of only two laboratories in the world equipped to perform the necessary protocols in order to ensure that it complied with the requirements of the World Anti-Doping Authority (WADA).

"That the players subsequently tested positive for a banned stimulant was an enormous shock to the Springbok team, management and to SARU, and I am most sorry that the players have had to endure the stress and stigma attached to a failed dope test.

"Hopefully this verdict will have laid to rest any idea of any wrongdoing on their part."

Ralepelle, speaking on behalf of both players, revealed their relief at finally being cleared to play on, with the Super 15 season starting in four weeks.

"Finally the facts are out there and people can see that we were not guilty and are not doping cheats," said the Bulls hooker.

"We were only doing what the large majority of professional rugby players around the world do by using a supplement.

"Bjorn and I were the unlucky ones to be tested on the day and to have had to go through the trauma of the past two and a half months.

"We're both now just looking forward to playing again and closing this chapter once and for all."

The players received an official reprimand from the disciplinary panel because they are still seen as "strictly liable" for what goes into their bodies.

But the committee concluded that any further punishment would be "out of kilter with their lack of fault in the matter".

Ralepelle and Basson were facing potential two-year bans but the WADA downgraded MHA's classification in January.

There had been a number of positive tests in other sports related to the inadvertent use of the stimulant, originally designed for use as a nasal decongestant.

The judicial committee agreed to treat MHA under its new classification, which allowed for a sanction to be reduced or eliminated if it could be established how a substance entered the body.

The committee was chaired by Advocate Jannie Lubbe SC and was completed by Dr George van Dugteren and Advocate Rob Stelzner SC.

In their findings the committee said: "We are also comfortably satisfied on the evidence of the players and the conditioning coach [Neels Liebel] that they had no intention to enhance their sporting performance through the use of a prohibited substance.

"It was clear that no member of the Springbok team, including the players themselves, was aware before the two players tested positive that the supplement contained MHA."

SARU's medical manager Clint Readhead insisted "everything in our power" had been done to ensure the supplements provided to players were safe and clean.

As a result of this incident, South Africa will no longer use supplements.

"We have always been wary of supplements but have tried to manage the risk as the players do want to use them," said Readhead.

"We did everything in our power to ensure that the supplements we supplied to the players were safe and we thought we'd put in place enough safeguards to minimise that risk.

"We received a certificate from the lab saying that the product met WADA specifications.

"As a result of these positive tests however we will not endorse, condone or supply supplements to any of our players as one positive test from a rogue batch is too heavy a price to pay."

EDIT:formatting

Edited by The Dictator

http://www.timeslive.co.za/thetimes/2012/06/20/i-have-nothing-to-fear---mamabolo

South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport CEO Khalid Galant confirmed that Mamabolo tested positive for the banned stimulant methylhexaneamine.

Galant said stimulants such as methylhexaneamine gave the athlete a heightened sense of awareness, energy and euphoria and could mask fatigue levels in a race such as the Comrades.

It is the same substance that landed Springbok rugby stars Chiliboy Ralepelle and Bjorn Basson in trouble in 2010.

If found guilty, the 35-year-old could be stripped of his title, lose the R300000 prize money and face a sanction ranging from a warning up to a two-year ban.

"I didn't take any banned substances," Mamabolo said.

"The stuff that I use is what I have normally used throughout the years I have been running Comrades.

"I am confident that I will be found not guilty."

The institute will set a hearing date for an independent tribunal to preside over the charge against Mamabolo, where the athlete will be able to state his case, Galant said.

"Methylhexaneamine has been one of those ubiquitous substances that some athletes have been testing positive for over the last two years.

"It is starting to become [prevalent] in sports supplements and certain energy drinks."

Mamabolo, who finished the race in a time of 5:31:03, will have the option to have his B-sample tested to ascertain a confirmation of his A-sample result.

"The B-sample is a 30ml sample of the original sample of the athlete. The sample is divided into A and B samples at the time of the test being performed.

"The B-sample is only opened at the request of the athlete. He may provide a witness to the opening of the B-sample to ensure that it has not been tampered with."

Mamabolo won the hearts of the nation when he became the first South African to win the ultra-marathon since Sipho Ngomane seven years ago after it had emerged that he had sacrificed three months' pay in order to train for the event.

He was paraded in Polokwane following his historic triumph earlier this month with Limpopo premier Cassel Mathale giving him something "to cover up for the money lost in the three months" that Mamabolo was on unpaid leave.

However, he is now in danger of being the first Comrades winner to test positive for a banned drug since Charl Mattheus in 1992.

Mamabolo said he would prefer to reserve comment as he had yet to be officially charged by the anti-doping organisation.

"I don't have more to say but that I believe in [myself] and I believe that I have done nothing wrong."

However, Galant said the athlete had been informed yesterday morning. Fellow South African Bongmusa Mthembu, who finished second, could be declared the winner.