Best Chain lube for MTB

Pieterg

You already said it , "what is so special about a bike chain " . If you want to destroy it then put some oil on it that wil collect all the dust and stuff so you can have some nice grinding paste . Then a dry chain will be a better option . And yes I have run a chain on these lubes before .

Interesting.

I have been using car oil for 7 years now. I mix it with paraffin. 50/50. Apply a small amount. The paraffin evaporates leaving only a thin layer. This works for me. But then I wash my bike after rides.

I refuse to pay R100 for a tiny bottle of snake oil.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Squirt works for me . And got no idea why you want 5l of it anyway !! My chain gets lubes once a weeks and a small bottle last me a few months !

I also use squirt (and RocknRoll ) and mine also lasts for months

I use White Lightning but looking to change with dry conditions in winter it doesn't seem to last. Squirt will be next.

I had this gripe with Squirt, love their product but its a pain in the ass to have to buy tiny little bottles (and for those who recycle, if you take each empty bottle leave it upside down overnight and decant the remaining liquid into an old bottle, after about 7 bottles you will have a full one again!). When I asked them why they did not offer larger bottles they had no comment really other than to advise me not to use so much!!! :huh:

However a LBS said they could order me a larger bottle as Squirt makes bigger bottles for workshop use and not for retail. Makes no sense to me why they do this.

I hasten to add I use Squirt in predominantly dry and dusty conditions.

I bought a 500ml bottle of Squirt at my local hardware a few months ago. Only paid R170 for that as opposed to R90 for the small bottles. It's the only place I've seen the 500ml bottle.

I lube chain before each ride 6 times a week. My problem is in winter my chain starts "chirping" after 30km so then it's dry. Using White lighting at this stage. But 2 bottles a month at R90 each is very expensive

I bought a 500ml bottle of Squirt at my local hardware a few months ago. Only paid R170 for that as opposed to R90 for the small bottles. It's the only place I've seen the 500ml bottle.
Which hardware store is that? Edited by Mikesa9

I lube chain before each ride 6 times a week. My problem is in winter my chain starts "chirping" after 30km so then it's dry. Using White lighting at this stage. But 2 bottles a month at R90 each is very expensive

Same here! Except I wish I can ride 6x times a week...

Finishline dry !

its the best i have used and i have used plenty in the last 25 odd years of racing .

i get through a full 80km mtb stage race with out having to relube ( conditions apply of course , ie dry race )

in the wet i use finishline wet .

Finishline Extreme Condition / Cross Country Wet Lube for Road Bike.

And Rock & Roll Extreme ( Blue stuff) for MTB.

Got a beeg bottle for R180 and has been lasting me more than a year with still one topup left in smaller bottle you get with the box.

Sho thats a lot of riding - lucky moer

I use White Lightning but looking to change with dry conditions in winter it doesn't seem to last. Squirt will be next.

I also find white lightning doesnt last in the dry, dusty highveld winters. currently trying purple extreme