Best MTB Grips ?

zniper

ESI is pretty damn good. Helps to take some of the chatter out. Enjoyed them when I used them but they are garbage when they get wet. Was my experience anyways.

Personal choice is still the Evil Pamela Handersons but stock is non existent so I'll most likely replace them with the OneUp grips what have the little cutout to relieves pressure on the outside of your hand. 

Once my repaint is complete and the tan wall tires are on I'll switch to brown Burgtec grips. Nice and thin with good texture.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ergon grips are well recommended. Gives great relief by supporting more of the hand (palms). I don't like normal cylindrical style grips on a straight style handlebar (find them uncomfortable). Drop the bar ends unless you personally need them on your bike...

1 hour ago, JRN89 said:

Reviving the dead! 

Just got a 2nd hand bike (my first bike) and looking for new grips as the current ones will be wearing out soon.

Are these ESI Chunkies still the go to at +_ R400? 

My riding “plan” to start, is just to try do some long rides for fitness and to get outdoors - unlikely to be very technical. So no enduro/downhill style riding.
So looking for something that will be comfortable after a couple hours on a hardtail. I’ve just bought gloves (unpadded), if any of this influences your feedback. 

I saw some Ergon grips online with bar ends etc, but also three times the price at R1000-R1500. Would I get 3x times the comfort and longevity? 

Not sure where to throw my money 💵😂 

Hey man, nice work on getting a bike and getting out there. Ive just been down the new grips road, and as with everything bike related, so much comes down to personal preference. Do you like a thicker feel or a smaller feel, do you want lock ons, do you want some more surface are for your palm like the Ergons, ect ect. I persoanlly never got on very well with the ESI's, i like them and all but because i like to crash a lot, they never lasted long.
Tried a pair of the "DMR death grips" and really liked them, lasted me a year and a half. Now trying the spank spoon rubber grips, which i like.
Seems like pricing on everything is crazy, including grips. My advice - pick something you think you will like and ride them till its time for a new pair, that day will come, sometimes sooner, sometimes later.

Good Luck

Pardon the slight high jack. My grips have been moved onto numerous bars to try different lengths and the end plugs have given up. Where can I get just end plugs?

PS Sheldon (at Dagleys near Eagle Canyon) does his own foam type grip. They are inexpensive and have survived a year of riding and transplanting....

26 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Pardon the slight high jack. My grips have been moved onto numerous bars to try different lengths and the end plugs have given up. Where can I get just end plugs?

PS Sheldon (at Dagleys near Eagle Canyon) does his own foam type grip. They are inexpensive and have survived a year of riding and transplanting....

Just buy a set of plugs from your LBS, thats what I did.  Or buy some new cheap grips and get a pair of plugs.

2 hours ago, JRN89 said:

Reviving the dead! 

Just got a 2nd hand bike (my first bike) and looking for new grips as the current ones will be wearing out soon.

My riding “plan” to start, is just to try do some long rides for fitness and to get outdoors - unlikely to be very technical. So no enduro/downhill style riding.
So looking for something that will be comfortable after a couple hours on a hardtail. I’ve just bought gloves (unpadded), if any of this influences your feedback. 

I saw some Ergon grips online with bar ends etc, but also three times the price at R1000-R1500. Would I get 3x times the comfort and longevity? 

Hey man, personally, the ESI grips are the softest grips i have ever used, and they last pretty well. Only reason I stopped using them is that after I moved from riding xc to enduro, they couldn't hold up to the more frequent (and worse) crashes.

hope that helps 

Raceface grips also very sticky and comfy, even without gloves they sticky in wet.

DMR deathgrips, only good with gloves on imo. Without gloves they werent comfy for me after 2 hour ride

i dont do full-on MTB'ing, so went for the Fabric Ergo's. wings give great wrist support for long hours of grinding, like the Ergons. Just a lot cheaper. The wings are well designed so dont intrude if you need a more traditional hold on descents. Shop around, figure out your preferred shape and feel, and don't rush it. nothings cheap, and it can make or break your ride.

DMR deathgrips look and feel great. Them and the ESI's seem the go-to for proper offroading, which is above my needs and abilities.

as mentioned above, its all down to personal preference. its "whats the best saddle" lite.

Lots of posts for the ergo grips.

What is the correct "angle" for the support ?

My HT had these on when I got it .... and really felt good on long rides.  Re.fitting it after a brake upgrade I just never got the same feel from it ... 

When I went tubeless I fitted ESI Extra Chunky ... I enjoy this on my MTB, but also to be able to fit Sahmurai sword.

I would love to fit ergo grips with bar ends ... for multiple grip positions on the long rides.  If I can sort out the correct mounting angle ...

Might have to find an alternative plug tool though ....

6 hours ago, JRN89 said:

Reviving the dead! 

ESI

10 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

What is the correct "angle" for the support ?

Refitting it after a brake upgrade I just never got the same feel from it ... 

I would love to fit ergo grips with bar ends ... for multiple grip positions on the long rides.  If I can sort out the correct mounting angle ...

The mounting angle must be high enough to support the front part of your palm when in the riding position. If not then you lose the support there that they were designed for...

Do a short test ride and keep moving the grips until you're happy with them. It can take a while to get them precisely right...then they're an absolute pleasure.

Sq labs 711. 

esi….lol whatever. they last all of 45seconds before they rip or look like crap… and are only really an option for people with child sized hands. Wolftooth makes a thicker version (6mm?) but these still have nothing on a pair of 711’s. Sq labs take confort of touch points seriously. Had my fair share of chunkies, the dmr death grips…and then one day walked into a shop and there were a pair of 711’s on display and i got them in my size. Ill never use anything else on a mtb again.

83EAB698-708A-4C98-B689-029C24AEA096.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

12 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Sq labs 711. 

esi….lol whatever

very nearly got a set of these, but it was the long/short set for gripship (i think) so left it. all their grips look lush.

i have the bartape on 2 bikes and its a revelation in comfort, grip and durability. i hear great things about the inner bar ends too.