Possible bike jacking attempt in Emmarentia

Pieter1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorted for you Pieter1

Great skills on noticing the rock before you hit it.

Thanks Slowbee. I did ride into it but fortunately I was going slowly.

Could also have been placed by an angry dog walker. They regard that area of the park as "their" domain.

That's fine but then they should leave the trail at the top for us - we built it anyway including bringing in the wooden bridge.

I recon it's a pathetic dog walker with his/her fat ass and no love/passion for life trying to take their own misery out on us fun loving mtb'ers.

What they should do is tie that to their legs and go jump in one of the dams, no one will miss them.

Edited by TheV

Shoot...I went running there the other day (alone)...thought it would be safe to ride there alone too...

ummmmm...re-thinking that one now.. :unsure:

Could also have been placed by an angry dog walker. They regard that area of the park as "their" domain.

I've noticed that many walkers are taking to the tree line ST now, with and without their dogs. Despite calling ahead and offering some warning they are not very interested in moving off but rather stop and turn. Had one or two close calls.

That's fine but then they should leave the trail at the top for us - we built it anyway including bringing in the wooden bridge.

Thankfully I haven't come across many dogs on the top trails (masters' too fat to get there I think), only love-sick youngsters looking for a quiet spot...

Shoot...I went running there the other day (alone)...thought it would be safe to ride there alone too... ummmmm...re-thinking that one now.. :unsure:

I'll be riding there alone this afternoon around 16:30. I still think I'm safe there. As previously mentioned, it's pretty busy and busy areas are often your friend despite being annoying with people and animals getting in your way.

I also think its more likely a irate dog walker, but still its not cool man.

Edit: I recon its 100% safe there on your own, this is the first time in a year and a half of riding there that anything has happend to me.

Edited by Pieter1

I also think its more likely a irate dog walker, but still its not cool man.

I hope it's not, that is a bit malicious and could cause some serious damage.

Was it only the one rock Pieter ?

Just regarding people and their dogs, and slate me all you all like.

Had I been living around there and walked my dog there on a regular basis, I would have hated MTB's with every bone in my body.

Some of the guys have zero respect for other people sharing the Spruit with them and often bear down on them without any intention of slowing down.

The police wont be able to do anything. The tacks in the road on the cradle route is an example of the melicious actions taken by people and still nothing has been done about it. You literally have to catch the person in the act....

I also think this may just be a dog walker who feels aggrieved about cyclists using "their" routes at Emmerentia. They always moan about cyclists riding to fast. Personally i have never seen any boards prohibiting cyclist but i have seen board saying dogs need to be on leashes (they should issue fines if dogs run around off their leash)

I shudder to think the damage that rock would do if you come down there at speed? Broken ribs or getting smashed in the face!!!

I wonder if a letter with photos attached to the Sandton Cronicle would not be a better option?

Edited by Paulst12

Had I been living around there and walked my dog there on a regular basis, I would have hated MTB's with every bone in my body.

Some of the guys have zero respect for other people sharing the Spruit with them and often bear down on them without any intention of slowing down.

Yea I rode the whole treeline twice and could not see or did not ride into any others.

Definitely. I try to give dogs and walkers as much space as possible and often slow down to just above walking speed but most do not.

I live in the area and I ride the spruit and walk our dogs there every week. I know very well how aggressive and arrogant many MTBers can be when I'm walking my dogs. On the flip side when I ride my bike there I give walkers and their dogs a very wide berth, ringing my bell to warn them and making a point of greeting them as much as possible (seldom get a positive response mind you).

But with a$$holes on both sides this will not be an easy problem to solve.

I'm convinced this is not a bike jacking attempt (why go to all that trouble when you can just pull someone off their bike) but rather a premeditated malicious intent to hurt an MTBer.

Agreed, but are the dog walkers not supposed to have their dogs on leashes. I see a real potential hazard. I always try to avoid the dogs and slow down around them. But so often the dogs run right in front of you. The owners are not very pleasant when you nearly hit the dog.

Logically I seriously doubt it was a dog walker. Why and earth would they waste their time putting it up just to hurt someone?

First choice is definitely a hi-jacker.

But glad you ok dude and thanks for letting us know

I live in the area and I ride the spruit and walk our dogs there every week. I know very well how aggressive and arrogant many MTBers can be when I'm walking my dogs. On the flip side when I ride my bike there I give walkers and their dogs a very wide berth, ringing my bell to warn them and making a point of greeting them as much as possible (seldom get a positive response mind you).

But with a$$holes on both sides this will not be an easy problem to solve.

I'm convinced this is not a bike jacking attempt (why go to all that trouble when you can just pull someone off their bike) but rather a premeditated malicious intent to hurt an MTBer.

Kids

They do this kind of thing