Craddle pot holes!!!!

triathlete101

Actually, it's illegal to do what these fellas have done. Fixing a pothole requires more than just a bag of tar. There is a process to it and some heavy equipment needed to properly set the tar in place.

Hopefully nothing happens further, but if for instance, an accident is caused by this illegal repair, these cyclist will be liable.

It's very sad that this cyclist lost his life. What were they doing outside of the cycle lane though?

Its is very sad but it is clearly stated in the Occupational Health and Safety act. Whilst you are doing a good deed and possibly saving a few more lives. SHould anyone be injured as a result of "defective" workmanship and a life is lost. You could find youself sitting in jail!

Edited by specializedfan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, it's illegal to do what these fellas have done. Fixing a pothole requires more than just a bag of tar. There is a process to it and some heavy equipment needed to properly set the tar in place.

Hopefully nothing happens further, but if for instance, an accident is caused by this illegal repair, these cyclist will be liable.

It's very sad that this cyclist lost his life. What were they doing outside of the cycle lane though?

At that point in the dip they were probabaly doing 65 to 70kph - at that speed it is quite normal and safest to move slightly into the road. Honestly don't think this is the time to speculate on fault on part of the rider who died and the numerous injured over the last few weeks.

Re liability etc, it is a risk but I applaud the guys. In the face of nothing being done by the authorities (and apparently the clubs have been trying for weeks to get this sorted) this could save someone's life until (hopefully) the council does eventually come and do a permanent repair

Edited by dracs

Great news when the cycling world has had some bad news.

But one thing. Those potholes are in the middle of the lane, almost a metre OUTSIDE the cycling lane. Strange that cyclists shoud be inconvenienced by them.

Yesterday morning +_ 7h15 a borekn down truck stood in the cycling lane at those holes , I thought to myself that this could be a recipe for desaster.

Honestly don't think this is the time to speculate on fault on part of the rider who died and the numerous injured over the last few weeks.

I don't think anyone is saying it's the riders fault, and it obviously isn't. It was a tragedy, he was the victim, no blame his side.

The question is what will happen if, for example, the repair loosens and throws a big chunk of tar into the road, which is hit by another cyclist, maybe one of us reading this post?

Would we be quite so understanding then? I don't think so.

Edited by Falco

At that point in the dip they were probabaly doing 65 to 70kph - at that speed it is quite normal and safest to move slightly into the road. Honestly don't think this is the time to speculate on fault on part of the rider who died and the numerous injured over the last few weeks.

Re liability etc, it is a risk but I applaud the guys. In the face of nothing being done by the authorities (and apparently the clubs have been trying for weeks to get this sorted) this could save someone's life until (hopefully) the council does eventually come and do a permanent repair

I don't applaud the guys at all. Who are they to make a decision on behalf of everyone else. Cyclist should stay in the cycling lane, not go ahead with a bag of tar and a spade and fix things themselves.

The council will have a repair schedule with a priority list. The positions of these potholes are a low level risk to cars as they are well out of the wheel path. SA has some excellent roads and this doesn't from nothing being done.

This little repair these boys have done won't last a single storm, and in fact will cost the taxpayer more as the repair will first need to be dug out. Waste of time, but again, TYPICAL of the selfishness that roadies keep on displaying.

I don't think anyone is saying it's the riders fault, and it obviously isn't. It was a tragedy, he was the victim, no blame his side.

The question is what will happen if, for example, the repair loosens and throws a big chunk of tar into the road, which is hit by another cyclist, maybe one of us reading this post?

Would we be quite so understanding then? I don't think so.

the portion of my post you quoted was referring to the cyclists being out of the cycle lane not the pothole repair.

this was one of a number of accidents at the same spot btw.

I don't applaud the guys at all. Who are they to make a decision on behalf of everyone else. Cyclist should stay in the cycling lane, not go ahead with a bag of tar and a spade and fix things themselves.

The council will have a repair schedule with a priority list. The positions of these potholes are a low level risk to cars as they are well out of the wheel path. SA has some excellent roads and this doesn't from nothing being done.

This little repair these boys have done won't last a single storm, and in fact will cost the taxpayer more as the repair will first need to be dug out. Waste of time, but again, TYPICAL of the selfishness that roadies keep on displaying.

wow - i hope you are just trolling. Sad. At least now we know where you are coming from...

This was question was asked earlier but no reply - Where would you buy a bag of tar from and how much does it cost ?

Can't agree Nishiki. As to the repair schedule, you live in a dream world methinks (bit like Eccy). Maybe google for the cyclists who successfully sued the eThekwini Mun. and KZN DoT for compensation after being injured by falling due to a pothole.

As for the costing more; you are trolling surely.

This was question was asked earlier but no reply - Where would you buy a bag of tar from and how much does it cost ?

Hardware store.............

low level risk to cars as they are well out of the wheel path

And what about motorbikes? And as has been pointed out, cyclists getting around a stationary vehicle in the cycling lane?

This particular pothole has been around for ages and NOTHING has been done about it for ages. That this has now been "repaired" will more than likely result in the roads dept rushing to fix it correctly now.

And if you think the Craddle is bad, its even worse in the Cradle.

Along the lines of "every silver lining has a cloud", I wondered if repairing the holes would complicate a claim against those responsible for maintaining the roads by the family of the guy who died there. ie its harder to prove the cause now.

In any event, its a shocking way to go, just out for a ride on your bike.

Nishiki I dissagree with you. In Cape Town we are more fortunate as repairs are generaly carried out promptly after being reported to the authorities. I know people in guateng who have wrecked their motor vehicles due to pot holes not being repaired for up to a year after repeated complaints.

To those of you that repaired the potholes WELL DONE !

And what about motorbikes? And as has been pointed out, cyclists getting around a stationary vehicle in the cycling lane?

This particular pothole has been around for ages and NOTHING has been done about it for ages. That this has now been "repaired" will more than likely result in the roads dept rushing to fix it correctly now.

We have some potholes about 300m from where I live, I cannot tell you how many times the idiots have been to fix it but I have lived here 2 years now and in those 2 years they have probably 'fixed' it around 7 times at least. All they do is come out with about 10 idiots, some bags of tar, a compactor and spend the whole (hole) day buggering around, inbetween 'pap' o'clock and 4'o'clock. The scrape a little of the old surface back and thats it. Fill her up!

As soon as it rains or 3 trucks have passed over it then the hole is back. SA roads are a nightmare at the best of times. I am suprised the insurers are not bringing more claims against the various municipalities and road departments. Someone should be held accountable for the sorry state of the roads, whoops, my mistake, there is no accountability here for anything.

We have some potholes about 300m from where I live, I cannot tell you how many times the idiots have been to fix it but I have lived here 2 years now and in those 2 years they have probably 'fixed' it around 7 times at least. All they do is come out with about 10 idiots, some bags of tar, a compactor and spend the whole (hole) day buggering around, inbetween 'pap' o'clock and 4'o'clock. The scrape a little of the old surface back and thats it. Fill her up!

As soon as it rains or 3 trucks have passed over it then the hole is back. SA roads are a nightmare at the best of times. I am suprised the insurers are not bringing more claims against the various municipalities and road departments. Someone should be held accountable for the sorry state of the roads, whoops, my mistake, there is no accountability here for anything.

That's such BS. SA has excellent roads, some of the best.

Here's a fact: roads get potholes. Civilians are not allowed to perform road repairs or modifications.

SO roadies are crying because when they ride in bunches, illegally hogging the road and not riding in the cycle lane, they crash in the potholes????

Most of you guys have nothing better to do, we have been at two of the accidents from those holes and trust me it was not a nice thing to see or experience! So all of u that bitch and moan on this site do me a favor and rather bitch at your wives. The fact of the matter is that NO ONE has done anything about the wholes for over a month and as a result alot of people have been injured and one fatal!!!!!

So I stand by what we did.... End of story