Craddle pot holes!!!!

triathlete101

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm I missing something here,a husband,father,brother and maybe grandad died here and we are fighting about a repair of a pothole,shame on you.

Yes and the best some little plonker can come up with is "stupid roadie". Makes me want to sell my MTB and invest in a set of tubbies.

Really, some people are beneath contempt.

Actually, it's illegal to do what these fellas have done. Fixing a pothole requires more than just a bag of tar. There is a process to it and some heavy equipment needed to properly set the tar in place.

Hopefully nothing happens further, but if for instance, an accident is caused by this illegal repair, these cyclist will be liable.

It's very sad that this cyclist lost his life. What were they doing outside of the cycle lane though?

I just really do not know how to communicate with dumb people. I always tell myself to not respond to BS like this because if you get involved in a conversation with an idiot he will always drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

This is a forum aimed at the cycling community and when guys stick Their heads out to fix potholes for ALL the cyclist why is there one a$&hole that needs to come and argue about it. You are just like our government you have a problem for every effing solution

Nice handbag fight, dudes!

I applause those men that went to the hardware store and made the trip to repair the donga.

:-)

It's still remarkable that someone lost his life there. :-(

Actually, it's illegal to do what these fellas have done. Fixing a pothole requires more than just a bag of tar. There is a process to it and some heavy equipment needed to properly set the tar in place.

Hopefully nothing happens further, but if for instance, an accident is caused by this illegal repair, these cyclist will be liable.

It's very sad that this cyclist lost his life. What were they doing outside of the cycle lane though?

Well my municipality fixes potholes by dumping a shovel of tar on the road and then pounding it with the shovel - might not be 100% according to the gosepel of road engineering but it not only gets the job done but gives the guys time to get all the potholes done.

Well done OP.

I also remember when I was living in Brits 10+yrs back how one farmer publically admitted to fixing a pothole with cemement on the Tambazimbi road - he threatened to bill the Department of Road Works for his labour.

That's such BS. SA has excellent roads, some of the best.

Here's a fact: roads get potholes. Civilians are not allowed to perform road repairs or modifications.

SO roadies are crying because when they ride in bunches, illegally hogging the road and not riding in the cycle lane, they crash in the potholes????

Nishiki, in all honesty our roads are terrible. As soon as you go off the toll roads you'll see. Next time you do a road trip, don't stick to the toll roads, but try some of the other national highways.

I travel often and in the rural areas the roads are often so bad that I need to ride next to the road. And I drive a 4X4!

Hey guys, apologies for offending some of you. It's really sad that this man died because of a pothole. It's equally sad that we are being forced to perform road repair ourselves as our civil servants have let us down.

I am always concerned for civil liability when it comes to doings things on behalf of everyone else. It's pragmatic to rather do these things in silence. That is true heroism. OP, if you were looking for a pat on the back there are races to be won.

Again, I apologise if I came across in a callous fashion and as a father myself, I feel very sad for this man's family.

Hey guys, apologies for offending some of you. It's really sad that this man died because of a pothole. It's equally sad that we are being forced to perform road repair ourselves as our civil servants have let us down.

I am always concerned for civil liability when it comes to doings things on behalf of everyone else. It's pragmatic to rather do these things in silence. That is true heroism. OP, if you were looking for a pat on the back there are races to be won.

Again, I apologise if I came across in a callous fashion and as a father myself, I feel very sad for this man's family.

I dont think they were looking for a pat on the back, nobody really knows them. Think they were just pointing out that we can stand together and prevent stuff like this happening again.

I say well done to them again

There we go! Good on you for seeing the bigger picture. No one is disputing that we should not have to do this ourselves, but considering the cradle is possiby the most popular place to do weekend training rides in the Jozi area, it is commendable that this type of accident due to this stretch of road should no longer occur in thanks to triathlete and his connections! Well done again chaps!

Just to close this out, Ali from CL has confirmed that they arranged for a professional road tar repair company to re-do the repair to JRA specs. So those worrying about being hit in the eye by flying tar and all the rest can rest easy tonight. :thumbup:

I don't applaud the guys at all. Who are they to make a decision on behalf of everyone else.

This little repair these boys have done won't last a single storm, and in fact will cost the taxpayer more as the repair will first need to be dug out. Waste of time, but again, TYPICAL of the selfishness that roadies keep on displaying.

Who CARES how many times someone has to re-dig up the hole if it saves one person's life? Listen, obviously whatever the government's process is, has failed to prevent an easily preventable death. If my kid/wife/whoever died because some chop like you stopped someone from fixing a pothole, falling off a bike would not be the most newsworthy item of the day, believe me.

Edit: I see you later apologised. Accepted.

Edited by Zook

Who CARES how many times someone has to re-dig up the hole if it saves one person's life? Listen, obviously whatever the government's process is, has failed to prevent an easily preventable death. If my kid/wife/whoever died because some chop like you stopped someone from fixing a pothole, falling off a bike would not be the most newsworthy item of the day, believe me.

Edit: I see you later apologised. Accepted.

I think it's all water under the bridge now.......

Just to close this out, Ali from CL has confirmed that they arranged for a professional road tar repair company to re-do the repair to JRA specs. So those worrying about being hit in the eye by flying tar and all the rest can rest easy tonight. :thumbup:

Top notch Ali & Cyclelab. Should we report future potholes to her? Happy to contribute to repairs.