26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

Cool, that means it's the perfect bike for almost everybody! (except if you're the poor oke who is perfectly average...) :ph34r:

A fair average comment from an average analyst. :thumbup:

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling someone average is Mean.

Sorry dude. Let’s rather refer to 'Typical', same meaning and it will make you feel not Average ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Rocky Mountain just launched their 150mm travel 2013 Altitude - it's using the 650B wheel size exclusively. Pinkbike takes a look at it here: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/2013-Rocky-Mountain-Altitude-27.5-First-Ride.html

My question is this: in either this article, or one on VitalMTB about the new Altitude (I can't remember), they mentioned the 650B wheel size as having none of the disadvantages of 29" or 26" wheels.

I found this interesting, especially since there is a big push amongst manufacturers towards 650B on some of their bikes (an even bigger push it seems than when 29" launched - back then manufacturers would launch a 29er version of a certain model alongside its 26er counterpart... so far Scott and Rocky Mountain have launched 650B models that are exclusively 650B - no corresponding 26" model)

What would you guys say are the disadvantages of either 26" or 29" wheels, for "all-mountain" bikes, that the 650B wheel size addresses?

I will bet the 26inch will fade away and we will be left with 650b and 29er. They can't keep producing 3 forks, 3 different wheel sizes, 3 different tire sizes etc.

Tread magazine had an article on pro's and cons of each, 27.5 was deemed to be the better overall but not the best individually. e.g not as responsive as 26 but better than 29, does not roll better than 29 but better than 26.

Edited by scotty

I will bet the 26inch will fade away and we will be left with 650b and 29er. They can't keep producing 3 forks, 3 different wheel sizes, 3 different tire sizes etc.

Why not? just think of the marketing opportunities, there are plenty of guys who currently have a 29'er and a 26'er. I think that the ideal stable is a 29'er HT, a "fun" longer travel dual 26'er and a short travel 650B bike.

noooooo, not another 26er vs. 27.5 vs 29er thread!

Phrasing the title and description different does not make this thread any different than all the others that we saw recently on the hub :ph34r:

Disadvantage of the 29ers is hearing all the kuk the converts have to say. Disadvantages of the 26ers is hearing all the excuses if why they cant or wont get a 29er.

I thinl that sums it up. And by the way im a huge fan of 27.5 just waiting for some decent choice.

I think I haven't explained myself correctly - this is not another "yawn" 26 VS 27.5 VS 29 thread, I am asking a genuine question. The article mentioned the "disadvantages" of 26er / 29er wheels, but didn't actually mention what those disadvantages is

I am honestly curious if anyone feels there ARE disadvantages, and what those are. For example, for AM riding I would think the disadvantage with 29er wheels would be keeping the chain stays short enough and the increased flex 29er wheels have

But I honestly can't think of the disadvantages of 26" wheels?

But I honestly can't think of the disadvantages of 26" wheels?

There are, The Tread article mentions them.