RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

Wait, are the red lines only east of the circle? If they havent done them in front of biscuit mill purposelly then I see your point.

I might be flamed....but the only reason that lines are painted there is because those bussiness affected are owned by Congolese etc.....if the city was serious about this cycle lanes ...why don't the paint in Victoria Road Camps Bay.....in front of all those businesses. ..PS ..I have no interest in any of those businesses. ...it just don't make sense to me...????????????

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was driving towards town along Albert road yesterday afternoon and car after car was parked in the cycle lane.

The problem is on the right-hand lane (facing the city) where the cycle lane is right up against the pavement. The other lane, has the parking bays between the pavement and the cycle lane (also stupid), but apart from trucks using it as a loading zone, I didn't see any cars parked.

What a waste of money.

I have started commuting to work - a grand total of ten minutes from Claremont to Rondebosch :) Not scary at all.

The upshot of this, however, is that the commute carries on in the afternoon (around 4pm) as I then head to seapoint almost daily.

iv had a few great rides along the bike paths from Rondebosch to the end of the so called Green mile, but after that it gets crazy - I have been simply carrying on down Newmarket, onto Strand and attempting to survive through the Taxis, pedestrians and hooligans in town, to pop out on the other side - easier said than done. To be frank, this stretch is hairier than a bears b@lls.

Do the veterans have any suggestions on a better/safer route from the end of the cycle paths?

I have seen a previous post about heading through the foreshore area, but not 100% sure where to aim for?

Gang problems...mmmmmm maybe the hipsters need more space for their restaurants...or the city needs more space for their organic garden....maybe expand all the overpriced goodies from the old biscuit mill.....you say gangsters....those street gangsters are nothing compared to the corporate "legal" ones .....and BTW ...are you saying it's ok to knocked down in Victoria Road....cos it's all nice and pretty....and legal.....ya right..????????????

Hey, I am not agreeing with it, just pointing out a possible reason.

I have started commuting to work - a grand total of ten minutes from Claremont to Rondebosch :) Not scary at all.

The upshot of this, however, is that the commute carries on in the afternoon (around 4pm) as I then head to seapoint almost daily.

iv had a few great rides along the bike paths from Rondebosch to the end of the so called Green mile, but after that it gets crazy - I have been simply carrying on down Newmarket, onto Strand and attempting to survive through the Taxis, pedestrians and hooligans in town, to pop out on the other side - easier said than done. To be frank, this stretch is hairier than a bears b@lls.

Do the veterans have any suggestions on a better/safer route from the end of the cycle paths?

I have seen a previous post about heading through the foreshore area, but not 100% sure where to aim for?

I head through the Foreshore, past the Convention Centre and into the Waterfront when I ride to Sea Point.

I head through the Foreshore, past the Convention Centre and into the Waterfront when I ride to Sea Point.

I guess thats my question - How do I get on to that road?

Total Town rookie here - fairly new to CT and always lived/worked in southern suburbs, and if necessary drove to town :) 

Wait, are the red lines only east of the circle? If they havent done them in front of biscuit mill purposelly then I see your point.

Well there are parking bays at the biscuit mill, no need for red line

I agree with Pure Savage. Those red lines made a massive difference on the Woodstock side coming from town. There is still the odd car parking on the bike lane. But I think things will only get better.

Even before the red lines that bit of bike lane in woodstock was pretty much car-free. I'd reserve judgement on their effectiveness once they're in place after the circle towards liesbeek. Got knocked (lightly) by a truck on my way home through there yesterday.

Even before the red lines that bit of bike lane in woodstock was pretty much car-free. I'd reserve judgement on their effectiveness once they're in place after the circle towards liesbeek. Got knocked (lightly) by a truck on my way home through there yesterday.

I think even the thickest motorist knows that parking on a red line is a no no. Parking in a funny green painted lane, no clue

I might be flamed....but the only reason that lines are painted there is because those bussiness affected are owned by Congolese etc.....if the city was serious about this cycle lanes ...why don't the paint in Victoria Road Camps Bay.....in front of all those businesses. ..PS ..I have no interest in any of those businesses. ...it just don't make sense to me...

I would imagine the majority of commuters wouldn't come through Victoria Road, Camps Bay.

Maybe that will come in time

Hi Rhodent

From the end of the cycle lane, make your way past the Civic Centre and around to the front (Adderley Street) side of the station. Directly opposite the station is Riebeeck Street. Cross Adderley at the pedestrian crossing and you will find the cycle lane continues up Riebeeck Street. Further on it turns into the Fan Walk and on towards Green Point Stadium and the Sea Point promenade. The Riebeeck Street part of the lane is crowded with pedestrians and thus slow, but is much safer than to be in the traffic of Strand Street. Hope this helps. 

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-33.9207107,18.4280598,17z

Hi Rhodent

From the end of the cycle lane, make your way past the Civic Centre and around to the front (Adderley Street) side of the station. Directly opposite the station is Riebeeck Street. Cross Adderley at the pedestrian crossing and you will find the cycle lane continues up Riebeeck Street. Further on it turns into the Fan Walk and on towards Green Point Stadium and the Sea Point promenade. The Riebeeck Street part of the lane is crowded with pedestrians and thus slow, but is much safer than to be in the traffic of Strand Street. Hope this helps. 

https://www.google.co.za/maps/@-33.9207107,18.4280598,17z

Thats a great help!

Thank you!

Will test it out today...

Thats a great help!

Thank you!

Will test it out today...

This way you go more slowly, but you are out of the traffic all the way from the station to the Sea Point Swimming pools. The part through Green point and past the stadium is quite quick. It's a bit bumpy, being paving, but I just imagine I'm riding the Belgian cobblestones ;)

CCID ..... Lekker

http://<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is how they do it overseas.Please don't park in cycle lanes. <a href="

">@UpCyclesZA</a> <a href="
">@CTCycleLanes</a>. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KeepLanesClear?src=hash">#KeepLanesClear</a> <a href="http://t.co/G5zBWKdhOG">http://t.co/G5zBWKdhOG</a></p>— Cape Town CCID (@CapeTownCCID) <a href="
">July 29, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is how they do it overseas.Please don't park in cycle lanes. @UpCyclesZA @CTCycleLanes. #KeepLanesClear http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2533049-strong-man-calmly-lifts-car-out-of-bicycle-path-continues-on-his-merry-way 

2:38 AM - 29 Jul 2015
1 retweet1 favorite
 Retweeted1
 Favorited1
More
Edited by Hairy