hydraulic brake conversion

Legacy777

I have a scott aspect 40.Is it worth it to upgrade the brakes to hydraulic? Or should I just leave the bike as it is? And if so what should I fit or not fit?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo hydraulic brakes on a bicycle are overkill and generally much more of a pita than mechs.

Imo hydraulic brakes on a bicycle are overkill and generally much more of a pita than mechs.

In my opinion anything other than hydraulic is a PITA!

V brakes suck, the slightest bit of a wobble and the pads catch.

Had no issues with my cheap Tektro hydraulic brakes!

Will your hubs take rotors?

I have a scott aspect 40.Is it worth it to upgrade the brakes to hydraulic? Or should I just leave the bike as it is? And if so what should I fit or not fit?

Hydraulic brakes are one of the best upgrades. Only problem is like Mojo said, if your hubs cant take rotors, you will need to replace your wheels, which can get quite pricey. When it was time for me to make that upgrade I eventually went the route of upgrading the whole bike instead.

Seems to be some confusion here. It's not hydraulic vs V brakes - it's v brakes vs disks. Mechanical disk brakes work just as well as hydraulics, with no bleeding issues, no fluid that boils, no reservoir that breaks, design (dissipates heat through rotor or body) doesn't matter, price is lower, everything is simpler. Anything other than good mechanical disks is just marketing hype/bling/wasted money/pita.

Big difference. A pull versus a push is big. Hydraulic is a gazillion time better as you can feel your brakes and adjust pressure as required opposed to pulling a cable.

Seems to be some confusion here. It's not hydraulic vs V brakes - it's v brakes vs disks. Mechanical disk brakes work just as well as hydraulics, with no bleeding issues, no fluid that boils, no reservoir that breaks, design (dissipates heat through rotor or body) doesn't matter, price is lower, everything is simpler. Anything other than good mechanical disks is just marketing hype/bling/wasted money/pita.

You cannot be serious?

So mech brake cables never get dirt in them? :mellow:

Apparently not and silly me went a bought a bike with well engineered expensive hydraulic brakes. Ooops!

Only cables that snap.

Cables that get dirt, grit and grime in them.

Mechanical moving parts on the calliper that get caked with mud...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Now this is funny !

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Stop it , you are killing me .

Im not even getting into this! :wacko: