Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

Did it meet your expectations?

It's good stuff but I would say it's over priced for what you get when you start comparing it with some other steels.

I Would say that it performs slightly better than S110V for my cutting tasks. I Like tool steel. I Like the way it sharpens and behaves and I like the corrosion/patina it gets from use. I Was curious to try it and I'm not disappointed but I don't think it's worth spending an extra R600 for this over the S110V model. In fact for R1k less I think the S30V model is the best value for money. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Always been partial to a nice Kershaw myself. As a kid, I used to drool over the double page spread in Magnum every month that showed the entire range, in particular the original Kershaws made in Japan by Ichiro Hattori. They were unfortunately quite pricey and waaaaay out of range for a 10year old’s pocket money but always wanted one. So paging through some ebay adverts a couple of years ago I found the folder version of the range (model 1050) n mint condition. Put in my bid and low and behold, won the auction. All in all, it landed here for under R500. In similar fashion I also found a model 1040 folder, but these were part of the scrimshaw range in the not so PC early 80’s. (Basically the handle scales were made of bone (some say whale bone, although I can’t find a definitive answer on this) and engraved. Also mint condition, with original wooden box

post-42568-0-50576700-1570639112_thumb.jpeg

post-42568-0-34204700-1570639135_thumb.jpeg

Always been partial to a nice Kershaw myself. As a kid, I used to drool over the double page spread in Magnum every month that showed the entire range, in particular the original Kershaws made in Japan by Ichiro Hattori. They were unfortunately quite pricey and waaaaay out of range for a 10year old’s pocket money but always wanted one. So paging through some ebay adverts a couple of years ago I found the folder version of the range (model 1050) n mint condition. Put in my bid and low and behold, won the auction. All in all, it landed here for under R500. In similar fashion I also found a model 1040 folder, but these were part of the scrimshaw range in the not so PC early 80’s. (Basically the handle scales were made of bone (some say whale bone, although I can’t find a definitive answer on this) and engraved. Also mint condition, with original wooden box

I Own a 1050 Folding Field that is in brand new condition. It belonged to my Dad. I'm not exactly sure about it's age but it must be from somewhere in the 80's because I was born in '81 and can remember him having this knife when I was a laaitie. This knife has never been carried or used.

post-62204-0-89661300-1570776075_thumb.jpeg

I Own a 1050 Folding Field that is in brand new condition. It belonged to my Dad. I'm not exactly sure about it's age but it must be from somewhere in the 80's because I was born in '81 and can remember him having this knife when I was a laaitie. This knife has never been carried or used.

now that is something special.

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely knife.I had the fixed blade version of that received as a present in 82 until I foolishly left it on a tree where I was sitting in CKGR in Easter 98

so I am falling further down the rabbit hole and would appreciate some feedback please.

I am looking for a smallish EDC, nothing overly fancy, but also not something that is a waste of time either.

At this point I am trying to define my budget, and it will be a budget....considering around the 500-700 mark, so an entry level decent knife.

I have held both the CRKT Squid and Pilar knives. They fit well and function smoothly. A little beefy, but feel like they will last. I prefer the blade shape on the Squid, but prefer the feel of the Pilar.

Squid https://www.knifeguy.co.za/collections/folding-knives/products/crkt-squid-framelock-stonewash-2490

Squid_Framelock_Stonewash_480x480.jpg?v=

Pilar https://www.knifeguy.co.za/collections/folding-knives/products/crkt-pilar-framelock-5311

Pilar_Framelock_480x480.jpg?v=1543333711

The I picked up a Spyderco Efficient https://www.knifeguy.co.za/collections/folding-knives/products/spyderco-efficient-c216gp which just felt like a far better build....but blows the budget.

C216GP_480x480.jpg?v=1521130301

The Honey Badger is ok, but just feels cheap in the hand ... comfort though is decent.

https://www.knifeguy.co.za/collections/folding-knives/products/honey-badger-medium-d2-black

Honeybadger_Medium_Black_D2_open_480x480

Now my first decent pocket knife was a Kershaw that I do this day regret loosing ... so this "brand" has a calling to me.

The simplicity of the Aplitude tickles my fancy, and I like the shape of the blade with the drop point

https://www.sharpedge.co.za/kershaw-amplitude-2-5-satin-finish-w-speedsafe-assisted-opening?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtf_tBRDtARIsAIbAKe2-Qta1bONkP--xmkUa7XEyX85pXcIWe8F822Ih_w4zFS1bGCpJeFIaApLtEALw_wcB

K3870.jpg

Another Kershaw that ticks the right boxes is the Link with the Tanto blade ... but again the budget is a little out.

https://www.sharpedge.co.za/kershaw-link-tanto-stonewash-blade-finish-w-speedsafe-assisted-opening

k1776t.jpg

Do any of you riff raff have any of these knives, or could recommend something similar ... not looking for a tactical knife, not really into that "mercenary look" and don't want to scare the living daylights out of people when I take it out for use.

I have the Badger as per above as my EDC.

It's a decent knife for the price, the blades keeps an edge for two weeks at least (I use mine for biltong, general cutting, whittling, fishing etc). 

Bike riding I slip it under my riding shorts on the left leg and hardly bothers me.

In the closed position it opens beers caps with little effort and i rate it as a GP EDC for someone in an office environment. Had mine for more that a year and it is holding up just fine.

You could do worse than buying a Badger.