How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months ago I built up a hybrid bike for my trainer.  As its only for the trainer it has no back wheel and no brakes but I used a 26" frame with rigid forks, gravel flared bars and 1x road gears.  I like the look of it though, so I've been thinking about making a version for outside.  

With this idea stewing in my head for a few months, last week I saw an ad pop up on here for a Cotic Solaris frame going for a steal so I snapped it up quickly without really formulating a plan.  Now I've been told I can't use a carbon fork on a steel bike.  Is this a thing?  Spent hours over the weekend looking for steel forks (this is half the fun, right?  Finding all the parts) and came across one which I like with a thru axle.  I'm a bit concerned about axle to crown heights being a bit too low, but I can't find any definitive answers on this.  Guess I'll have to just try it out and see. 

The bigger problem though is that I'm meant to be making a bike for my wife after my daughter took over my wife's bike.   How do I convince the Mrs that I need another bike before she gets one?  I was half thinking that this frame could be for her, but it's probably going to be too big...  

Glad this thread surfaced again, been helping my brother and nephews het their bikes ip and running again, and have found I enjoy faffing on bikes almost as much as riding them, so I am toying with the idea of a monstercross bike. But, some questions first, it has been a while since I read this thread.

Normally I ride a Large, would I size down to medium for this kind of build? Also, some clarity on using a 26" or 27.5" frame with skinny 29er wheels, can that be done?

And then lastly, what frame would be best? Obviously ally frames are pretty common and cheap, but would it be better to try wait out and find a nice steel frame? Or would Carbon be best? Bare in mind, this would be a super budget build with parts I can find cheap/free.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

700c x 35 will fit inside a 26" frame no problem, so frame choice is only limited by availability.

Don't change the frame size, its not just about the length of the seat post as the top tube length also differs on frame size. Drop bars have the effect of lengthening the handle bar, same as changing from flats to risers.

Any adjustments to your cockpit can be made to seat position and stem length to get the setup comfy.

Don't be fooled by shop boys trying to sell components, loads of parts are compatible and will work well together. I try to stick to one brand though for best results.

10spd stuff should be plentiful on the used market and as entry level stuff is all 10 SPD also you can easily still get new parts to fill any gaps in your build.

Help please...

I have sram force x1 shifters... I need to know which 11 speed sram rear derailleur is compatible other than the force x1 etc.

Can I use a gx?

Any adjustments to your cockpit can be made to seat position and stem length to get the setup comfy.

Thanks, this is why I thought you size down, because the drop bars and stem would effectively change the reach

Help please...

I have sram force x1 shifters... I need to know which 11 speed sram rear derailleur is compatible other than the force x1 etc.

Can I use a gx?

All 11spd should work. Even a shimano. SRAM and Shimano use the same indexing almost exactly.

A few months ago I built up a hybrid bike for my trainer.  As its only for the trainer it has no back wheel and no brakes but I used a 26" frame with rigid forks, gravel flared bars and 1x road gears.  I like the look of it though, so I've been thinking about making a version for outside.  

With this idea stewing in my head for a few months, last week I saw an ad pop up on here for a Cotic Solaris frame going for a steal so I snapped it up quickly without really formulating a plan.  Now I've been told I can't use a carbon fork on a steel bike.  Is this a thing?  Spent hours over the weekend looking for steel forks (this is half the fun, right?  Finding all the parts) and came across one which I like with a thru axle.  I'm a bit concerned about axle to crown heights being a bit too low, but I can't find any definitive answers on this.  Guess I'll have to just try it out and see. 

The bigger problem though is that I'm meant to be making a bike for my wife after my daughter took over my wife's bike.   How do I convince the Mrs that I need another bike before she gets one?  I was half thinking that this frame could be for her, but it's probably going to be too big...  

"Now I've been told I can't use a carbon fork on a steel bike.  Is this a thing?"

I would also like to know. There is so many custom steel frame builders that use carbon forks, why would there be an issue with it?

I am currently also in the process of building up a gravel steel bike with a carbon fork.

"Now I've been told I can't use a carbon fork on a steel bike.  Is this a thing?"

I would also like to know. There is so many custom steel frame builders that use carbon forks, why would there be an issue with it?

I am currently also in the process of building up a gravel steel bike with a carbon fork.

I think they mean on the older steel frames with head tubes for the 1" steerer. I don't reckon you'll get a headset to marry that to the newer (larger diameter) carbon fork steerers*

*I haven't tried it myself but there can't be enough space to fit the bearings in....

I think they mean on the older steel frames with head tubes for the 1" steerer. I don't reckon you'll get a headset to marry that to the newer (larger diameter) carbon fork steerers*

*I haven't tried it myself but there can't be enough space to fit the bearings in....

Yes, you are correct, compatibility is an issue on older frames that used 1" steerer tubes, but his Cotic should be able to fit a 1 1/8 straight steerer tube.

There is quite a few manufacturer that still produce 1 1/8 straight steerer carbon forks like Ritchey, Soma, Musso etc.

Thus it's not a "don't match carbon with steel" issue .... it's just a "can you find 28.6mm straight steerer in SA"  :ph34r:  ;)

(Edit: with the right "external" Cane Creek headset he should be able to fit a tapered too)

Edited by EddieV

Words of wisdom right here...

Yes, you are correct, compatibility is an issue on older frames that used 1" steerer tubes, but his Cotic should be able to fit a 1 1/8 straight steerer tube.

There is quite a few manufacturer that still produce 1 1/8 straight steerer carbon forks like Ritchey, Soma, Musso etc.

Thus it's not a "don't match carbon with steel" issue .... it's just a "can you find 28.6mm straight steerer in SA" :ph34r: ;)

(Edit: with the right "external" Cane Creek headset he should be able to fit a tapered too)

The bigger problem though is that I'm meant to be making a bike for my wife after my daughter took over my wife's bike.   How do I convince the Mrs that I need another bike before she gets one?  I was half thinking that this frame could be for her, but it's probably going to be to

Bro, I have ridden tens of thousands of km with carbon forks in steel frames.

Both MTB and road.

Get a 440mm (or 430mm) carbon fork if you can for the solaris frame. It will pull the geo to suit drop bars better than a 470 or 490 fork.

Then buy a cheap bike off the classifieds for the wife, make it tubeless and off you go!

Is that rear seatpost long enough for Pikey???

Listen dude I pick tandem partners with great care, you can fall your m0er off otherwise [emoji41]... Myself and Byron have done a couple of rides, building it for our annual father's day ride tradition

The idea... 1c1befcd836faf1f1f6a14429a8af71c.jpg