How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

i just don't know how you do this, and you have confirmed EXACTLY what my biggest worry was - falling your MOER off. Do you ride technical downhills on this (and I don't mean jumps and what not), but just steep, rocky, switchbacky stuff?? I get stress anxiety just looking at this bike

There are people that do! I on the other hand wouldn't think about it, we did a couple of jeep track and gravel road rides with it. Was seriously enough fun for me.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The shorter beefier fork is done, collected a few other things as well. The seatposts are also painted satin black, sorry @Jewbacca they bothered me [emoji12]

Going to test some 700x38's on it once I get some more work done, hopefully tomorrow. I have run those in a 26" MonsterCross before ....20a7d90339ee0b4249398c1638d61ef7.jpg

I have another XT crank exactly the same as the one on there for the rear, 

Should the left front crank arm not have a small chain ring on? Left rear as well? 

Should the left front crank arm not have a small chain ring on? Left rear as well?

Normally you are correct... But as always I'm building with what I have so doing something a bit different. Firstly it'll be a 1x10 setup so don't need multiple chainrings in 'front' so that makes it a bit simpler.

Will run the 'synchro timing chain' and the front chainring all on the same side as per the diagram. It's not a bike that will be ridden often so didn't want to spend lots of money and any negatives if there are shouldn't really be a concern? f44af600ba05f06944ed76743bbdae81.gif

Normally you are correct... But as always I'm building with what I have so doing something a bit different. Firstly it'll be a 1x10 setup so don't need multiple chainrings in 'front' so that makes it a bit simpler.

Will run the 'synchro timing chain' and the front chainring all on the same side as per the diagram. It's not a bike that will be ridden often so didn't want to spend lots of money and any negatives if there are shouldn't really be a concern? f44af600ba05f06944ed76743bbdae81.gif

This is a good plan.

Finding chainrings for some of those old left hand crank sets can be difficult at the best of times.

Using an older 9 or 10x2 set at the rear means anything you need is on a shelf waiting for you and not super expensive half way across the planet. Also it gives some options on how to solve any chain line issues.

A little lockdown build of mine. Gen 1 Momsen STR with a bit of a sprayjob. Cyclocross fork sorted the geometry out quite nicely but yes... I am quite lanky and that seatpost still needs to go up high  :). Oh, don't need a seatpost clamp as the alloy seems well and truly bonded to the steel frame. Steel weight weenie, now there's an oxymoron!

This may have been covered before, but does anyone have experience of those cable to hydraulic disk brake calipers? I'm trying to work out a reasonable (less than R8000) hydraulic braking solution). Any advice would be appreciated.

post-8726-0-15489000-1592235873_thumb.jpg

post-8726-0-92279000-1592235891_thumb.jpg