How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

Listen dude I pick tandem partners with great care, you can fall your m0er off otherwise [emoji41]... Myself and Byron have done a couple of rides, building it for our annual father's day ride tradition

The idea... 1c1befcd836faf1f1f6a14429a8af71c.jpg

Thats rad but please put a shorter fork on it?

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly it's all I have but just been offered 2 other options 'beefier' and possibly shorter. Will see tomorrow, I do have till the 21st to get it right, lots of other things to sort still

Sadly it's all I have but just been offered 2 other options 'beefier' and possibly shorter. Will see tomorrow, I do have till the 21st to get it right, lots of other things to sort still

I won't lie, but that bike makes me moist....

Listen dude I pick tandem partners with great care, you can fall your m0er off otherwise [emoji41]... Myself and Byron have done a couple of rides, building it for our annual father's day ride tradition

Crystal. Looking forward to the airborne picture.

I won't lie, but that bike makes me moist....

Will have the seat posts painted black, I have another XT crank exactly the same as the one on there for the rear, they'll go with to the spray painter...

I'm not a patient bike builder [emoji12]

Will have the seat posts painted black, I have another XT crank exactly the same as the one on there for the rear, they'll go with to the spray painter...

I'm not a patient bike builder [emoji12]

I'd leave them as is... It looks cool and painted seatposts will scratch up and jam. Cranks too.

If you're going to use it as a gravel bike you could probably fit 650b and 47c tires.... The WTB range is rad. (I'm guessing this is a 26er)

I kind of hate you right now as I want one....

I'd leave them as is... It looks cool and painted seatposts will scratch up and jam. Cranks too.

If you're going to use it as a gravel bike you could probably fit 650b and 47c tires.... The WTB range is rad. (I'm guessing this is a 26er)

I kind of hate you right now as I want one....

Thanks for the input! Will see how it progress... Lots of bits and pieces to sort still.

Tomorrow I'll make a list and go raid the bike shop's odds and ends boxes. I know the matching blade is there for the 'tandem chain'

Probably get it rideable then do the cosmetic stuff if necessary

Is that rear seatpost long enough for Pikey???

lmfao ???????? .....we were discussing it the other day whilst riding . But neither of us was leaning towards being a passenger.

Who would trust a blind guy who’s reckless ,not me ????

lmfao [emoji1787][emoji1787] .....we were discussing it the other day whilst riding . But neither of us was leaning towards being a passenger.

Who would trust a blind guy who’s reckless ,not me [emoji6]

Or an old guy that's chicken [emoji12]

@Jewbacca better? The fork has gone to the man to have those V-brake tabs removed and a proper paint job as well as the seatposts... They just bugged me [emoji12] - all satin black.

Have decided to leave the cranks as they are, using a flat bar for the stoker719120e27a5f279f6924936eb06ddd4b.jpg43292f4b4b9ff6a3fa6328fc8f94a703.jpg

So, yesterday I pulled my 26” frame down from the rafters, with the intention of building a monster-cross.

I’ll probably end up buying a mix of new and used (from my limited supply of parts). I have mot of the components available from 2x 26” bikes:

Stem, spacers, seat post, saddle, cranks, chain, cassette, derailleurs and bottle cages are all in stock at home.

Pedals, tyres, wheels, fork and chain rings will be purchased, as well as shifters.

Depending on the shifters I go with, I’ll decide then if I need new housing and cables, or just use the stash I have.

I am confident on most things, except the following:

1. Fork (rigid)

I am sure this frame, a Merida 500D from 2008, doesn’t have a tapered head tube, so I’m guessing it limits one to non-taperered steerer only? Is that correct?

Not too keen on risking myself with a Fong Kong type. Any tips and advice on this will be appreciated.

2. Wheels

I’ve read that 700C x 35 are the biggest/widest tyre that will fit a 26” frame. Probably one of the items I’ll buy new - I don’t fancy converting rim brakes hops to disc (plus it will look k-@-k.

If I go 650b, will I get more options on tyre size?

3. Shifters

I like the idea of using mechanical shifters paired with a converter (cable to hydraulic). The only problem is cost, vs. a pair of hydraulic shifters.

Anything specific I should watch out here?

Apparently the 11 speed SRAM MTB derailleur doesnt work with the 11 speed SRAM road shifters. Road is 1:1 but the MTB is not.

To rectify this, you have to change the cable fin on the MTB derailleur to reduce the cable pull ratio.

So... I've purchased the cable fin and barrel adjuster for a Force X1 derailleur and will be fitting them to my GX 11 speed MTB derailleur.

I will keep you updated.

i just don't know how you do this, and you have confirmed EXACTLY what my biggest worry was - falling your MOER off.  Do you ride technical downhills on this (and I don't mean jumps and what not), but just steep, rocky, switchbacky stuff?? I get stress anxiety just looking at this bike