How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, to those in the know.

700c x 42c tires or 650b x 2.0/2.1 xco tires?

So either some gravel king SK's or some Conti race kings in those 2 size options.

Bike will be a genuine tourer and commuter, I have a road bike for training and a MTB for trails.

Riding my gravel bike this morning fitted with 700x43 and hitting some corrugations I was thinking that perhaps I should have gone 650b . Hitting a smooth section a few km’s on I was smiling . For commuting 700 . For rough roads 650 . My 2 cents

question for the gurus here, building up a farr gravel frame(finally)

got 11spd shimano road shifters

want a widish range 1x11,(and have a 10x42 cassette)

so either just get this

https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/shimano-grx-rd-rx812-1x11-speed-rear-derailleur/

or go mullet (the shimano 105/SLX RD /tanpan route)

https://bikepacking.com/gear/guide-to-mullet-drivetrains/

The second last line of this document says that GRX-800 level stuff works with Shimano DuraAce/Ultegra/105 (ie: the current batch of 11 speed stuff):

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/news/gravel-upgrades--mixing-and-matching-shimano-grx-and-road-compon.html

While I've not tested that, the last line says that Tiagra works with the 10 speed GRX stuff. I can confirm the the last line is true, because I have that exact setup on my bike and it works perfectly. So I'd be pretty certain the they are correct about the 11 speed option too. Also, the evobikes link you included says that GRX 812 is the one to use for a 10-42 casette. 

So basically, I think you're right on the money with the Shimano Road shifters + GRX. Should all work as intended. It's not even a bodge, the stuff was made to be compatible. 

As for the mullet option, it may be great, it's just not what I would do. That's just my opinion but it looks like more fiddling. You need two different tanpan components. I'd just go for something simpler, possibly because I'm not one of the gurus.  

Noice!

I need tires, a wide range cassette and I am doing some work on the frame to make everything fit.

Then will sit down and sew up some frame/bar bags.

I only expect to be done by March some time. Bike probably rideable before then

J, what cassette are you gonna use ? Brand and speed ?

Thank you

These are both MTB forks. I specifically want an axel to crown of 395 to 406.

The 26er forks are 440 and the Farr ones are 483 and 490, which is way too long.

I want the bike to ride and handle more like a road bike, not just a rigid mtb with drop bars

If you know where to find a fork with 400mm axel to crown please let me know. That is exactly what I'm looking for.

J, what cassette are you gonna use ? Brand and speed ?

I am running an oval 42 tooth on the front so will look for an 11-46 cassette. I am poor (read stingy) and using 10 speed stuff that I have in the house already, so it will likely be any 11-46 x 10 speed cassette I can find at a decent price.... 

If you know where to find a fork with 400mm axel to crown please let me know. That is exactly what I'm looking for.

I am very lucky to have had a friend pass one on to me at a very reasonable price.

No idea where to get one locally unfortunately. I thought of calling Titan or Benky as the Curve bikes come with nice ones.

Everydaycyclesupply have some nice looking options but they cost close to 6k

I am running an oval 42 tooth on the front so will look for an 11-46 cassette. I am poor (read stingy) and using 10 speed stuff that I have in the house already, so it will likely be any 11-46 x 10 speed cassette I can find at a decent price.... 

I am very lucky to have had a friend pass one on to me at a very reasonable price.

No idea where to get one locally unfortunately. I thought of calling Titan or Benky as the Curve bikes come with nice ones.

Everydaycyclesupply have some nice looking options but they cost close to 6k

Thanks for the info on the fork.

I've got this cassette, it's new in the box. Was bought for a project but things changed and I ended up going 11 speed.

If you're maybe interested.

post-62204-0-69279100-1612363951_thumb.jpeg

I tried a wide range 10 speed sunrace cassette with my 42 chainring, but found I didn't need the range it gave. Much happier with one of the old 11-36 cassettes I had at home. (And have some smaller chainrings lying around if I ever need easier gearing.)

Edited by ridr

I tried a wide range 10 speed sunrace cassette with my 42 chainring, but found I didn't need the range it gave. Much happier with one of the old 11-36 cassettes I had at home. (And have some smaller chainrings lying around if I ever need easier gearing.)

Gauteng vs the western cape though..... 

I do also plan on riding the bike loaded, so having a slow, easy gear to turn is key.

Also, if you have ever ridden up Swartberg pass with 145km in your legs, having a bail out easier than 1-1 is key.

Can it be done? Yes, I rode up most of the pass on a SS geared 40/19. I have also changed plugs using my teeth and a butter knife and raised a jack to change a tire using a plastic straw and a piece of fence. Is it better to have the right tools? Absolutely.

Either that or you are way way stronger than me

Gauteng vs the western cape though.....

I do also plan on riding the bike loaded, so having a slow, easy gear to turn is key.

Also, if you have ever ridden up Swartberg pass with 145km in your legs, having a bail out easier than 1-1 is key.

Can it be done? Yes, I rode up most of the pass on a SS geared 40/19. I have also changed plugs using my teeth and a butter knife and raised a jack to change a tire using a plastic straw and a piece of fence. Is it better to have the right tools? Absolutely.

Either that or you are way way stronger than me

???? Great point! Pretty much depends on what you're planning on using it for. I had a 36 chainring on for Everesting and then realised there was nothing stopping me from putting on a 34.

Attempted something steep on my mtb with a 36 chainring and a 50 on the back and remembered I forgot to put the 32 on - but why go 32 when you can go 30!

Yes, can make some interesting plans with the wrong tools, but the right tools for the job is definitely the better option!

question for the gurus here, building up a farr gravel frame(finally)

got 11spd shimano road shifters

want a widish range 1x11,(and have a 10x42 cassette)

so either just get this

https://www.evobikes.co.za/product/shimano-grx-rd-rx812-1x11-speed-rear-derailleur/

or go mullet (the shimano 105/SLX RD /tanpan route)

https://bikepacking.com/gear/guide-to-mullet-drivetrains/

Enjoyed the mullet article thanks

Will probably go in the classifieds soon if I can get rid of the emotional attachment.  :unsure:

It the price size is right, I will be interested.

Edited by Frosty