How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

Found brakes and found shifters, now I am looking for a 26" or 700c disc mount fork, anyone know where I may be able to find one?

I'm also looking for a 700c Gravel fork that can take a decent size tire for a monster cross build.

The best local option is nearly 6k at everydaycyclesupply.

I was hoping for something a bit cheaper as the whole bike cost less than that to collect......

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Farr have a fork for R3k-ish or was I dreaming?

https://ridefarr.com/int/product-category/forks/

I'm also looking for a 700c Gravel fork that can take a decent size tire for a monster cross build.

I was hoping for something a bit cheaper as the whole bike cost less than that to collect......

Edited by Fat Boab

Seen lots of Chinese forks that are suitable, for around R2600 delivered in about 8 days, but I am bit sceptical...

Seen lots of Chinese forks that are suitable, for around R2600 delivered in about 8 days, but I am bit sceptical...

Nothing wrong with Toseek or Java as far as I know. I've got Java. Struggled last year to get any of the guys to send to SA from China. Eventually found one locally through my wanted ad. Can get for under R1500 if you can get it delivered at the moment with covid. Just decide if you want 29, 27.5 or 26 (I changed from 29 to 26 and can still fit my 29er 2.0 tyres with lots of clearance). And check if you need tapered or straight steerer...

(Look on eBay and AliExpress and check for free or cheap shipping)

Edited by ridr

Nothing wrong with Toseek or Java as far as I know. I've got Java. Struggled last year to get any of the guys to send to SA from China. Eventually found one locally through my wanted ad. Can get for under R1500 if you can get it delivered at the moment with covid. Just decide if you want 29, 27.5 or 26 (I changed from 29 to 26 and can still fit my 29er 2.0 tyres with lots of clearance). And check if you need tapered or straight steerer...

(Look on eBay and AliExpress and check for free or cheap shipping)

Thanks, I have been checking Aliexpress and ebay, I just don't want to wait that long, some of their adds even state that if you cant wait 2-3 months, then dont order from them...

And the forks that will be delivered in 8 days have expidited shipping added to the prices, so then they land up at R2.5k-R3k

Edited by Chadvdw67

Thanks, I have been checking Aliexpress and ebay, I just don't want to wait that long, some of their adds even state that if you cant wait 2-3 months, then dont order from them...

And the forks that will be delivered in 8 days have expidited shipping added to the prices, so then they land up at R2.5k-R3k

It's a pain. Post a wanted ad. I was offered a 29er fork last year that I didn't take and it was never advertised I don't think. A few guys replied to my wanted ad.

Didn't Farr have a fork for R3k-ish or was I dreaming?

https://ridefarr.com/int/product-category/forks/

Thank you

These are both MTB forks. I specifically want an axel to crown of 395 to 406.

The 26er forks are 440 and the Farr ones are 483 and 490, which is way too long.

I want the bike to ride and handle more like a road bike, not just a rigid mtb with drop bars

It's a pain. Post a wanted ad. I was offered a 29er fork last year that I didn't take and it was never advertised I don't think. A few guys replied to my wanted ad.

I have posted a wanted ad, as well as a post in the "salvage thread" and the "things you might throw away thread"

I have posted a wanted ad, as well as a post in the "salvage thread" and the "things you might throw away thread"

There is a guy who calls himself KEANE bikes who imports chinese stuff.

I might chat to him. 

Found brakes and found shifters, now I am looking for a 26" or 700c disc mount fork, anyone know where I may be able to find one?

If you want to look at a non rigid option - I have an 80mm Reba that will be available soon.

If you want to look at a non rigid option - I have an 80mm Reba that will be available soon.

I guess at the right price this could be an option until I find a rigid, let me know when it is available, at the moment all I have is one of those non-damped Suntour coil forms to use ????

So, to those in the know.

700c x 42c tires or 650b x 2.0/2.1 xco tires?

So either some gravel king SK's or some Conti race kings in those 2 size options.

Bike will be a genuine tourer and commuter, I have a road bike for training and a MTB for trails.

Found a fork finally, now just need a set of wheels and the bike will be ready to ride, things I will upgrade later will be the Crankset and a decent headset, will post some pictures over the weekend

Found a fork finally, now just need a set of wheels and the bike will be ready to ride, things I will upgrade later will be the Crankset and a decent headset, will post some pictures over the weekend

Noice!

I need tires, a wide range cassette and I am doing some work on the frame to make everything fit.

Then will sit down and sew up some frame/bar bags.

I only expect to be done by March some time. Bike probably rideable before then

Noice!

I need tires, a wide range cassette and I am doing some work on the frame to make everything fit.

Then will sit down and sew up some frame/bar bags.

I only expect to be done by March some time. Bike probably rideable before then

Damn, I forgot I also need a saddle and bars ???? haha, will build it up like that to test it all works and then will get stripped down again for painting, not sure if I will do DIY or get a proper job done ????