Rapha Festive 500

Lexx

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy to complete another festive5. Really wish strava would bring back the Giro climbing challenge, that was proper

How do you get them lined up so nice without the monthly stuff sitting in between?

• 11 months later...

I honestly don't see the point of this challenge. This time of the year is the only time one really gets to take a well deserved break with family. I don't understand why you would want to break yourself over an 8 day period when everyone else is having some rest

Edited by RobertWhitehead

I honestly don't see the point of this challenge. This time of the year is the only time one really gets to take a well deserved break with family. I don't understand why you would want to break yourself over an 8 day period when everyone else is having some rest

Some people don't have families or like rest that much?

Doing 3 x 130km rides while on holiday is 3 mornings and 2 shorter rides, boom, done. with 3 rest days.

I got out the blocks quickly and hit 220km by the 26th but my wife had to work 7 till 7 for a lot of the season so I have been full time dadding and tying up work. 

It's a cool challenge and it allows you to build/keep a really good base going into the new year.

I don't do the Festive 500, but I get it. This time of the year is when I spend the most time on my bike, I try to ride every day and most of those rides are going to be 3 to 5 hours. It's the only time of the year when I have this much time to ride.

As for time with the family, I'm done by 11 latest - plenty of time after that.

And rest, being on my bike is rest. Maybe not physically, but mentaly - and that's the only rest I need this time of year.

For me this is an incredibly tough challenge - I’ve had the outlaws here and I do the cooking - also have a big plot and my man Matthews is on leave and I have 12 animals

I’m not a massive drinker but over this period I drink to cope with family dynamics - add to the fact that the house is full of leftovers and chocolates and I’m a weak minded pig

I do 500km a month - I’m doing this and it’s tight but it’s to stay sane, make a futile attempt to keep my belly in check and get away from the madness that this “holiday” week is at my house

87km to go after this mornings ride, which will also take me to 16000km for the year.

2020 has been my best year on the bike, my riding has improved big time after L5 lockdown and I got my weight down to the lowest in about 16 years.

Festive 500 also helps to keep the weight in check and burn of those festive calories.

87km to go after this mornings ride, which will also take me to 16000km for the year.

2020 has been my best year on the bike, my riding has improved big time after L5 lockdown and I got my weight down to the lowest in about 16 years.

Festive 500 also helps to keep the weight in check and burn of those festive calories.

16000 is insane, well done. 

just completed mine :clap: i tried last year also but failed which made me think I wont be able to do it again. And I am not on leave this year so had to squeeze it in around my work hours.

Edited by Arrie

i see it as taking your mind off structured training and putting in base miles, just enjoying your bike by exploring. 

Not as many miles as you, but also my best year yet on the bike.

I’m the fittest I’ve ever been, and weight down to levels last seen 20 years ago.

Had I not started working again last week I would have made an attempt at the 500, but as it stands I’ll be lucky to hit the 600 mark for the entire month.