Chinese Carbon Thread

Meezo

So if i were to order a mtb carbin frame,how long would i wait?

Depends if SAPO are on strike, will be a 2-3 weeks from order if they have stock, else you may have an additional wait whilst the frame is made.

After 2-3 weeks the frame will arrive in SA, it will then go into the SAPO system, to customs clearance, from customs clearance and then delivered to you... how long that takes could be a week, could be a month or more!!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm starting to be tempted by a Chinese carbon frame.

What do they feel like to ride?  Do they absorb in the same way that a Scott Scale carbon does?  Or is it incredibly stiff?  Do different factories make more comfortable frames than others or are they all much of a muchness?

I have 2 Chinese carbon road frames, and am busy building a third. I currently have 2 Fondriest carbon frames and I cannot say I feel the difference between these. I guess it depends a lot on the carbon type they are using (T700, T800, T1000), the frame design, etc. 

I'm  a sub 70kg rider, so that obviously has a bit to do with the feel of the frame, but so far I'm pleased with the quality. 

I have 2 Chinese carbon road frames, and am busy building a third. I currently have 2 Fondriest carbon frames and I cannot say I feel the difference between these. I guess it depends a lot on the carbon type they are using (T700, T800, T1000), the frame design, etc. 

I'm  a sub 70kg rider, so that obviously has a bit to do with the feel of the frame, but so far I'm pleased with the quality. 

Hi,

I recently almost bough a Chinese complete build, but missed out.  Since you have done this before, could you maybe give me a cost estimate to build a road bike, with say a 10 or 11 speed, and wheels for a almost 100kg minimum weight?  I like the blank frames, and would like to know if this is a better route or just go and buy a complete scott/merida etc.

Not looking for top of the range, but a starter road bike that I will still ride after a year.  thx

Hi,

I recently almost bough a Chinese complete build, but missed out.  Since you have done this before, could you maybe give me a cost estimate to build a road bike, with say a 10 or 11 speed, and wheels for a almost 100kg minimum weight?  I like the blank frames, and would like to know if this is a better route or just go and buy a complete scott/merida etc.

Not looking for top of the range, but a starter road bike that I will still ride after a year.  thx

It all depends where you source your equipment from (the price of local groupsets pushes the cost up by more than 30%). If you bring in all the stuff, a rough ball park figure: Ultegra 11s (R10k) + frame (R10k) + carbon wheels (R10K) + finishing kit (R10K) = R35-R40K. 

Edited by FondyMig

It all depends where you source your equipment from (the price of local groupsets pushes the cost up by more than 30%). If you bring in all the stuff, a rough ball park figure: Ultegra 11s (R10k) + frame (R10k) + carbon wheels (R10K) + finishing kit (R10K) = R35-R40K. 

Hi

thx for the reply!

Hi,

Hi

A lot will depend on which supplier you go for. Flyxii is as follows

frame: $390 "Dogma"

Wheels: $358 "50mm clincher"

Handle bar: $50

Clamp and post: $ 35

105 groupset from merlin $411

Fulcrum racing quattro with continental tyres from merlin $350

gives you $1594 is about R23 500. Prices include shipping, BUT  dont forget to add 15.4% for tax and customs etc etc

Youll need a saddle, bar tape and someone to do the build

For an extra $200 you can get an Ultegra groupset.

Choose an upper budget limit and stick to it. Otherwise things can get out of hand. Flyxii is one of the cheaper suppliers of frames and wheels.

Been using my Flyxii 29er now for 2 years and shes all good

Hi

A lot will depend on which supplier you go for. Flyxii is as follows

frame: $390 "Dogma"

Wheels: $358 "50mm clincher"

Handle bar: $50

Clamp and post: $ 35

105 groupset from merlin $411

Fulcrum racing quattro with continental tyres from merlin $350

gives you $1594 is about R23 500. Prices include shipping, BUT  dont forget to add 15.4% for tax and customs etc etc

Youll need a saddle, bar tape and someone to do the build

For an extra $200 you can get an Ultegra groupset.

Choose an upper budget limit and stick to it. Otherwise things can get out of hand. Flyxii is one of the cheaper suppliers of frames and wheels.

Been using my Flyxii 29er now for 2 years and shes all good

thx for the info!!

Hi

thx for the reply!

Personally I would consider buying only the frame from China and sourcing the rest that you need on the hub in the classifieds.... will save you money.

I ride a China Pinarello F8 (blank) for 2 years now without issue on Darkhorse wheels (china rebranded). My TT bike has China deep section wheels.

Deep section wheels come up on the hub on a regular basis and you can pick up a set for R5-6k.  There was a set for R4.5k recently.

A 10spd groupset for a similar price (if you are patient and hunt hard enough you might get a bargain)

The rest (cockpit, saddle etc) you can buy in the classifieds or at your LBS.

Then is a matter of building, whether yourself or your LBS

Edit:  I saw on an ad you were asking about the bike size for you, to get an idea you can use many of the online calculators, here 2

http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

Edited by shaper

Personally I would consider buying only the frame from China and sourcing the rest that you need on the hub in the classifieds.... will save you money.

I ride a China Pinarello F8 (blank) for 2 years now without issue on Darkhorse wheels (china rebranded). My TT bike has China deep section wheels.

Deep section wheels come up on the hub on a regular basis and you can pick up a set for R5-6k.  There was a set for R4.5k recently.

A 10spd groupset for a similar price (if you are patient and hunt hard enough you might get a bargain)

The rest (cockpit, saddle etc) you can buy in the classifieds or at your LBS.

Then is a matter of building, whether yourself or your LBS

Edit:  I saw on an ad you were asking about the bike size for you, to get an idea you can use many of the online calculators, here 2

http://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

thx Mr. Shaper, always appreciate your feedback. 

Will I still pay the tax if I have a Chinese national bring the frame in when coming to SA?

Will I still pay the tax if I have a Chinese national bring the frame in when coming to SA?

Depends on whether you're trying to evade the tax by having a Chinese national bring the frame in when coming to SA ...

Edited by Grogs

Havent posted in a while but finally reassembled the bike after the move (and winter). Kudos to Bogus on the spray job. 

Frame I bought back in SA about 18months ago from AliB, groupset from CRC, bars off the hub, swapped the wheels for my old mtb frame and already had the seat. 

post-23299-0-70779000-1465407037_thumb.jpg

post-23299-0-14549400-1465407055_thumb.jpg

post-23299-0-23232500-1465407069_thumb.jpg

post-23299-0-82346200-1465407084_thumb.jpg

post-23299-0-09023300-1465407108_thumb.jpg

post-23299-0-91869500-1465407274_thumb.jpg

Our taxes have no exemption for whichever nationality brings it in, if however said national claim the frame is his and not an "import" he can slip through. But unlikely the cats at customs will let a box with a brand spanking new frame slip past without asking questions