Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you Guys order your Shoes online?Are there any decent Shops in Cape Town that have a decent variety?Im worried about ordering Shoes and Pants online cause theres a big chance of ending with the wrong size

Do you Guys order your Shoes online?Are there any decent Shops in Cape Town that have a decent variety?Im worried about ordering Shoes and Pants online cause theres a big chance of ending with the wrong size

Definitely not, unless I know they fit properly.

Case in point. Needed new skoene. Had a pair of 5-10 frreriders in 12 that fit perfectly.

Options:

Freerider: no stock of 12 anywhere

Freerider pro: smaller cut than old (pre Adidas) freerider therefore no bueno

Ion: size 12 doesn't fit, had to wait 3 weeks for a test pair

Spaz: size 12 2FO is juuuust too small with the innersole in. Without the innersole, perfect fit.

If there had been a size 12 freerider (non pro) in stock locally, I'd have bought it online. Otherwise, with my strange foot (high instep and wide forefoot) there's no chance I am buying online.

I've always struggled with finding a variety of shoes to try, but that's because practically no one brings my size in locally anymore (EU49 - plus my feet are wide). Ended up risking an online purchase through Amazon but only because they had a ridiculous special on a pair of shoes that looked like I would have better success with fit purely because they looked more foot shape to me (if that makes sense). I lucked out and they have been one of the best fitting cycle shoes I've had. But it was a risk and I only took it because of the price and being at my wits end in trying to find a shoe locally that fit! The shoes in question are Pearl Izumi X-Alp Summit.

post-62450-0-95077900-1536655050_thumb.jpg

If you have a more "normal" shape foot that falls within more regular sizing then perhaps buying online is less of a risk. Trying on before you buy can't be beat but unfortunately I find local options for this fairly limited. You generally have to request a store to bring in the shoe for you to try on as stock is not regularly carried.

Just came back from maiden ride following a small upgrade to my lyrik: the new 2018 air-spring. It damnwell works! Fork loaded with 3 tokens and air pressure around 95psi for some context.

Off the bat, a stationary pump of the felt seemed to suggest the initial travel was easier to initiate. Out on the trail, that initial increase in plushness was confirmed when a lot of the trail chatter I've previously felt, was very much subdued. Consequently, you go quite a bit faster as the bikes handling feels more controlled.

Ever since the new rockshox internals were announced along with the new lyrik, pike and boxxer, I've been vacillating between air spring only, and a full internals upgrade, including the charger 2 damper. Rider reviews indicated not much tangible improvements via the charger 2 upgrade, but all reviews of the air spring only upgrade were very positive. It's legit.

Lank cheap upgrade (<R1k), so great value for money. Shout out to East City Cycles for procuring and fitting.

Just came back from maiden ride following a small upgrade to my lyrik: the new 2018 air-spring. It damnwell works! Fork loaded with 3 tokens and air pressure around 95psi for some context.

Off the bat, a stationary pump of the felt seemed to suggest the initial travel was easier to initiate. Out on the trail, that initial increase in plushness was confirmed when a lot of the trail chatter I've previously felt, was very much subdued. Consequently, you go quite a bit faster as the bikes handling feels more controlled.

Ever since the new rockshox internals were announced along with the new lyrik, pike and boxxer, I've been vacillating between air spring only, and a full internals upgrade, including the charger 2 damper. Rider reviews indicated not much tangible improvements via the charger 2 upgrade, but all reviews of the air spring only upgrade were very positive. It's legit.

Lank cheap upgrade (<R1k), so great value for money. Shout out to East City Cycles for procuring and fitting.

Or, you could go the way I did. Add 1kg and get the best small bump and compression damping ever. Buuuut I don't think a lot of people would do that. 

2009 66  Marzo FTMFW

Or, you could go the way I did. Add 1kg and get the best small bump and compression damping ever. Buuuut I don't think a lot of people would do that.

2009 66 Marzo FTMFW

But does that come in 29"? ;)

2009 66  Marzo FTMFW

unless you've actually ridden the new lyriks, your statement is hopeful at best ;)

Against a shorter travel Pike, i wouldn't disagree with you, especially if someone gave me back my 66 bomber. But the extra travel on the lyrik does help a lot. note: referring to ride experiece wrt heavier riders. the new air spring is one of the best value for money upgrades in a damn long while.

2009 66  Marzo FTMFW

You mean 1.6kg?

You mean 1.6kg?

Nope. It's 2.9kg. Above a Pike / Lyrik that's ~800g.

And yeah, Cap - I can believe that. Funny that it's taken this long for the air forks to catch up to a 10yo coil fork. ????

Nope. It's 2.9kg. Above a Pike / Lyrik that's ~800g.

And yeah, Cap - I can believe that. Funny that it's taken this long for the air forks to catch up to a 10yo coil fork.

My bad. I thought it was 1.6kg.

It's interesting to see how people are "aiming" their bike builds in this "enduro" segment. You're obviously going for a big hit bike with the big fork, coil and big brakes when then others are going for almost a xc type spec.