LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

really battling on this diet. My weight is not moving.

Been on the plan for over three weeks now.

First week - 3 kgs, since then, yo-yo ing by 500g back and forth.

I've been pretty strict.

Example : Breakfasts - fat shake as per recipe book, lunch WW salami sticks, supper - steak / pork rashers with veg / salad. I snack on the nuts during the day.

I haven't been doing much training, but surely the eating should impact my weight?

Am i potentially eating too much? :huh:

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody care to take a guess as to why I would have Ketones in my urine (measured + on Ketostix) if I have been eating >100g carbs a day.

Reading through Art and Science of Low Carb Performance (chapter 10) last evening, came across these comments and thought of you.

"Natural sources of MCT are dairy fats and coconut oil, so you may find your ketones go up more after ingestion of these foods ... about 2 thirds of coconut oil is MCT ... Ingestion of MCT oil will result in significant ketosis even if consumed with carbohydrates although this MCT induced ketone production may not be associated with full benefits associated with carb restricted keto-adaptation"

Now, they don't say how much MCT / coconut oil is required, so I guess you would have to experiment but this may explain your ketones in urine.

I've been pretty strict.

Example : Breakfasts - fat shake as per recipe book, lunch WW salami sticks, supper - steak / pork rashers with veg / salad. I snack on the nuts during the day.

I haven't been doing much training, but surely the eating should impact my weight?

From personal experience I would say that you're probably eating too much (protein). Also try and stop snacking.

I've been pretty strict.

This seems to be a fairly common scenario. Without knowing how much you've read, etc ... and not wanting to teach you to suck eggs ... herewith some comments.

The 3kg's you lost in the first week are almost certainly glycogen stores and the water that is attached to them. This is very normal. Be aware that if you go back to a high carb regimen, most of this will come back fairly quickly - don't let that freak you out.

Some potential reasons for not loosing anything after that are:

1. too much protein. around 1,5g per kg of lean body mass is required per day, even when training hard. More than that and it converts to carb in your body which reduces the body's ability to burn fat.

2. Nuts. these have a HUGE calorific value. 100g Macadamia's = 700 calories! and it's pretty easy so scarf down 200g per day if you're not careful.

Also, not all nuts are equal. cashews have lots of carbs, macadamias are best, brazils and pecans are ok. peanuts are not nuts - stay away from them.

3. I am of the opinion that calories DO (unfortunately) count. If you want to loose weight you need to create an energy deficit. The problem is how to do this without getting hungry and that's why the LCHF approach with it's high satiety foods works for many folk. You can still over eat, especially on the protein.

If you want to get into the detail, find your basal metabolic rate (http://www.bloodsugar101.com has a good nutritional calculator under the 'diet' tab) to see roughly how much you should be eating. Then calculate how much carb and protein you want to eat and get the balance of the calories from fats.

4. exercise should not be a factor. In fact I find my weight INCREASES when I start exercising after a holiday. This is possibly a shift from fat to muscle or just that exercise makes me hungry, so I eat more ... not really sure.

Edited by DaleE

Thanks, will zone in on the protein, will decrease it and increase the fats and salads and veg.

On the nuts, mostly almonds, macadamias and very cashews and a few pecans - definitely no peanuts!

Thanks, will zone in on the protein, will decrease it and increase the fats and salads and veg.

On the nuts, mostly almonds, macadamias and very cashews and a few pecans - definitely no peanuts!

One more comment ... those fat shakes are good, but can sometimes have 1000+ calories in a single cup. Perhaps try a half sized one for a week or so.

I've been pretty strict.

Two things that worked for me:

1. You don't mention dairy so maybe not applicable to you but, milk or cream in coffee and tea and some Greek yoghurt and a few chunks of hard cheese quickly added "unnoticed" calories to my diet.

2. Might want to check your daily calorie intake with the help off an app like myfitnesspal. Only way to make sure if you are under or over eating.

Hang in there the weight loss will kick in soon. Any way as htone used to say, weight loss is actually only a small part of the health benefits of LCHF.

Apologies all, just re-read my post above and realised that I made a rather significant error.

The line "1. too much protein. around 1g per kg of lean body mass is required per day," should have read " 1,5g per kg of lean body mass". I believe the difference is important and my apologies for the error.

Just on the subject of weight loss, or lack thereof ...

Dr Stephen Phinney did a fascinating podcast with Jimmy Moore on his "ask the low carb experts" show. Number 23 in the series, 24 Aug 2012. In it he answers listener's questions on weight stalls and weight loss issues.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/atlcx-episode-23-long-term-stalls-weight-gain-even-on-a-well-formulated-low-carb-diet-dr-stephen-phinney-2/15282

or get it in iTunes

Most interesting for me was his discussion on the whole concept of ketosis and why ketosis alone does not necessarily lead to weight loss, but is rather a change in the body's method of fuelling. It's the same info as in his books, just really simply explained.

Edited by DaleE

Apologies all, just re-read my post above and realised that I made a rather significant error.

The line "1. too much protein. around 1g per kg of lean body mass is required per day," should have read " 1,5g per kg of lean body mass". I believe the difference is important and my apologies for the error.

That actually ties in with the recommended protein intake based on the calculator on the Blood Sugar 101 site

Just on the subject of weight loss, or lack thereof ...

Dr Stephen Phinney did a fascinating podcast with Jimmy Moore on his "ask the low carb experts" show. Number 23 in the series, 24 Aug 2012. In it he answers listener's questions on weight stalls and weight loss issues.

http://livinlavidalo...phinney-2/15282

or get it in iTunes

Phinney: "Calories do count."

Seems also that I really need to cut out Woolies extra creamy mayo :( and start making homemade mayo :)

speaking of, what happened to htone? i miss his input

Same thing that happened to Tombeej if you know what happened to him. We all miss both of their valuable input.

I've been pretty strict.

From personal experience, Stick with the plan and start exercising, once you're Fat adapted you will see the weight loss