LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

whats your ratio on the espresso and honey?

50/50. I like espresso though and make a proper double shot with good fresh ground beans. I bought 4 of those gel things that come in a little bottle. Drank them on a training rode and kept the bottles. One bottle holds a double shot of espresso and the same of honey. Perfect.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shew, hard to guess without knowing more, but my initial guess would be that you might not be eating enough - seems to be a common problem with ladies especially when getting serious about a diet.

I would up the fat intake (choose any fat source you like) and see if that make a difference. I seem to remember that you are trying to loose a kg or 2, but you need to look at the bigger picture here - eat a bit more now so you feel better and can train better.

I'm not suggesting another 2000 calories per day, just increase it by 500 calories and see if it makes a difference.

Other options are to take care of your sodium, magnesium & potassium intakes - preferably by food not supplements.

Lastly, had been mentioned before ... watch the protein intake, too much will kick you out of ketosis quick as a flash (1g protein per kg of LEAN body weight per day is a good start) ... and when looking at carbs, don't fall into the trap of subtracting finer carbs from others to get net carbs ... for ketosis, carbs are carbs!

Geez bru - well remembered regarding the 2kg. Nah, after the posts and answers i received, i realised that I will lose this in training over the next while, so no worries.

Cant really eat more - I feel I am eating what I need to and wouldnt be able to get more in, BUT maybe I need to force down some more fat...?

Geez bru - well remembered regarding the 2kg. Nah, after the posts and answers i received, i realised that I will lose this in training over the next while, so no worries.

Cant really eat more - I feel I am eating what I need to and wouldnt be able to get more in, BUT maybe I need to force down some more fat...?

A lot of what's coming out of the field of genetic research shows that we are all different in how our bodies respond to the 3 macronutrients (fats, protein, carbs).

Just as some of us respond poorly to carbs, just as many of us respond poorly to having too few carbs.

I originally tried to keep carbs very, very low. I made an honest go of it, but found that I don't do well on a VLC diet. I average 60 - 90g carbs daily. I enjoy a lot of low carb vegies, salads and (god forbid) some fruit as well.

Remember that Noakes himself (who is properly carb intolerant, borderline diabetic) says he averages around 70g carbs per day. Tracey, that means he's eating more than triple the amount of carbs you are eating.

And I thrive on even more carbs than that. I still follow all the LCHF and Paleo principles - I just have a relative abundance of lekker, wholesome, wholefood carbs.

Tracey, once you've had enough going super strict, maybe look at increasing your carb percentage until you find a happy medium. Restricting to just 20g daily might be making your body very unhappy. But you won't know until you experiment.

50/50. I like espresso though and make a proper double shot with good fresh ground beans. I bought 4 of those gel things that come in a little bottle. Drank them on a training rode and kept the bottles. One bottle holds a double shot of espresso and the same of honey. Perfect.

You talking about these

http://www.bicycling.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Gozo.jpg

For those on carbs for race day, this was recommended to me by someone who's opinion I really trust. Apparently the pepto pro is a product that dramatically increases the body's ability to replenish glycogen stores in the muscles. Good for during high intensity races!

I'm no expert, but what I'm told is that we can normally only absorb carbohydrate concentrations of 5g per 100, but pepto pro increases that to just over 20.... Or something.

http://www.atlife.co.za/content/products_peptosport_powerberry_tub.html

I'm not linked to this product in any way, but I thought I'd get some hubpinions!

Edited by DomP

I find some of these comments hilarious as everyone thinks they are an expert on LCHF. I went to a sports nutritionist. I have one diet for Monday - Friday and one for Saturday and Sunday when I do my long endurance rides. I have lost about 5Kgs in 3 Months and about 20cms around my waist. My nutritionist said I must cut down my fat content in my diet to lower my fat percentage. I eat date bars, race food while I ride and it works for me. Everyone is different, find what works for u and not be a sheep following the flock...........all these guys selling their books on the "next" best diet is out to make money. We all are made differently so what works for one doesn't always work for the next person. Just my opinion

Im following the LCHF lifestyle (not a diet) from the beginning of July. I have lost about 6 kgs and a couple of cms as well.

On Saturday I did the 25km Zero2Hero MTB race at Heia. For breakfast I only had the fat shake as in the book and took only water in my Camelbak for the ride.

All went well but after 16kms my upper leg muscles started cramping. Especially when I straighten my legs. I tried to rub it off and to just carry on pedalling. I decided to take the energy drinks at the next water tables and that seemed to helped.

What do you guys take to prevent cramps? I've heard a chelated magnesium supplement might prevent cramps?

Been on this diet for 1 week so far. Absolutely loving it. Changed my entire perspective and I am now converted....

Havent felt better in I dont know how long.

Im following the LCHF lifestyle (not a diet) from the beginning of July. I have lost about 6 kgs and a couple of cms as well.

On Saturday I did the 25km Zero2Hero MTB race at Heia. For breakfast I only had the fat shake as in the book and took only water in my Camelbak for the ride.

All went well but after 16kms my upper leg muscles started cramping. Especially when I straighten my legs. I tried to rub it off and to just carry on pedalling. I decided to take the energy drinks at the next water tables and that seemed to helped.

What do you guys take to prevent cramps? I've heard a chelated magnesium supplement might prevent cramps?

I used to suffer heavily from cramping. I tried all sorts of supplements, but none of them worked for me. What eventually worked was longer and harder training rides. All the research I did pointed at fatigue being a big factor for cramping, although there is plenty of "we don't really know why it happens" out there.

Maybe a proper breakfast would have helped, like Jungle oats or peanut butter on toast. There is a place for carbs and when to use it.

This has been discussed numerous times on this thread. The short answer is chelated Mg and salt. Up your salt intake and take a daily Mg supplement.

I used to suffer heavily from cramping. I tried all sorts of supplements, but none of them worked for me. What eventually worked was longer and harder training rides. All the research I did pointed at fatigue being a big factor for cramping, although there is plenty of "we don't really know why it happens" out there.

Hi guys, not sure if this will help. On all the reading I have done on LCHF, and listening to the good Prof at a talk the other day, we need to increase salt intake. I have never ever suffered from cramps but every now and again I do feel a twinge!! I am also not sure that there is a remedy for cramping - but we have nothing to lose hey !!

Maybe a proper breakfast would have helped, like Jungle oats or peanut butter on toast. There is a place for carbs and when to use it.

I suggest spending time on this thread a little more, but with more of an open mind and a willingness learn about the latest science behind nutrition.

While I agree with you that there's definitely a place for carbs and when to use them, your beliefs about what a 'proper breakfast' is, are based on debunked nutritional theory.

Your breakfast is full of phytates, lectins, gluten, and hydrogenated vegetable fat (carcinogenic trans fat). These 'foods' all sit very high on the crap that modern nutritionists will tell you to avoid as much as possible. You're working on debunked beliefs.

If this is what your nutritionist is telling you to eat, then it reinforces why my sister feels like she stepped back in time when she returned to SA after 10 years in the UK. She's a highly qualified dietitian who worked in two of the top bariatric wards in London hospitals, running one of them. The majority of dietitians/nutritionists in SA are stuck in the past, holding on to debunked theory. They're stuck in the 80's, and they've been left very far behind the States, the UK and Europe. For example, they'd get laughed out of the room if they tried to tell modern nutritionists in London that 'wholegrains' are good for you, etc.

But I've got a sneaking suspicion that you're not here to contribute/learn, but to troll and to cause a bit of *** here and there. Am I right?

For those on carbs for race day, this was recommended to me by someone who's opinion I really trust. Apparently the pepto pro is a product that dramatically increases the body's ability to replenish glycogen stores in the muscles. Good for during high intensity races!

I'm no expert, but what I'm told is that we can normally only absorb carbohydrate concentrations of 5g per 100, but pepto pro increases that to just over 20.... Or something.

http://www.atlife.co...rberry_tub.html

I'm not linked to this product in any way, but I thought I'd get some hubpinions!

I doubt very much that Pepto Pro is any different from the other supplements. You start off with 1500-2000 calories of stored energy in muscles and liver (glycogen) and you should replenish to limit the deficit to prevent the dreaded bonk. You cannot consume enough to remain fully stocked.

I doubt very much that Pepto Pro is any different from the other supplements. You start off with 1500-2000 calories of stored energy in muscles and liver (glycogen) and you should replenish to limit the deficit to prevent the dreaded bonk. You cannot consume enough to remain fully stocked.

Now I want to ask a stupid question. If like me you are a regular drinker. No I do not have a problem. I might or might not have an enlarged liver. Do I store more glycogen?

Then is it better to start off with a good meal +- an hour before a race and then get the factory started or rather try on demand sugars just before you run out of energy? Or maybe a low concentration of carbs from the moment the race starts to avoid taking high concentrates later on.

Edit: I have no experience in stage racing but for normal racing do not go empty the body of glycogen the previous day or even two if you have not adapted your body to deal with that through long extensive training for multiple day riding and metabolism.

And for F sakes nothing will work without proper hydration. Rehidrat is for before the race not after the race.

Edited by alexander.lombard