LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

does anyone have a current contact for getting UCAN in Cape Town? I've emailed the contact mentioned on the thread a while back and haven't got a reply.

Contact Daneel at

genucan.sa@googlemail.com

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Bulletproof Coffee station

That mct oil makes me burn hot! I can definitely feel the difference. How have you found it compared to coconut oil?

I premixed the coconut oil and butter - less admin in the morning.

The MCT oil is new. I haven't really tried it yet, so will give it a go tomorrow morning.

I have been doing this Banting thing for about 6 weeks now and feel much better over all. Certainly feel less dependent on food. I felt like I was living from one snack or meal to the next, with coffee in between to bridge the gaps. Now I go for hours without needing to snack and even forget to have coffee sometimes.

I am however, not losing weight as quickly as I hoped - about 4 to 5kg. I don't think I have my balance right and must be eating too much. That, and my discipline isn't very good...

I premixed the coconut oil and butter - less admin in the morning.

The MCT oil is new. I haven't really tried it yet, so will give it a go tomorrow morning.

I have been doing this Banting thing for about 6 weeks now and feel much better over all. Certainly feel less dependent on food. I felt like I was living from one snack or meal to the next, with coffee in between to bridge the gaps. Now I go for hours without needing to snack and even forget to have coffee sometimes.

I am however, not losing weight as quickly as I hoped - about 4 to 5kg. I don't think I have my balance right and must be eating too much. That, and my discipline isn't very good...

Mixing the butter and the coconut oil is genius! I've been trying to find a more efficient way to make my bulletproof in the morning. Thanks for the idea!

I need help. A friend of mine has been LCHF for 5 weeks. He has lost an amazing 8kg. He went for his cholesterol test and the doctor is saying his cholesterol levels are so high he WILL have a heart attack and not even meds will help him now.

I have read hundreds of studies and am so convinced that this way of eating is correct, but I have a little doubt on this one and am concerned.

I would imagine that his results are total cholesterol and I have asked hom to get LDL and HDL results.

How can we go about making sure that this is the correct diet for him?

I need help. A friend of mine has been LCHF for 5 weeks. He has lost an amazing 8kg. He went for his cholesterol test and the doctor is saying his cholesterol levels are so high he WILL have a heart attack and not even meds will help him now.

I have read hundreds of studies and am so convinced that this way of eating is correct, but I have a little doubt on this one and am concerned.

I would imagine that his results are total cholesterol and I have asked hom to get LDL and HDL results.

Those cholesterol tests arent accurate...

Im going to find the link quick and will post it. I was also told mine is too high.

http://www.sabreakin...for-afrikaners/

What do we make of this?

Tracey, this post from krouxsa might be something your friend needs to investigate (familial hypercholesterolemia).

Just like there are people who can't handle carbs (diabetics), it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that there will be a section of the population that will react badly to a LCHF diet.

My sister (the dietician I've mentioned before in this thread) recently had a series of genetic tests done and the results were quite interesting. They showed her body has a poorer than average ability to process saturated fats and a better than average response to proteins. So for her a high protein, low saturated fat diet would seem to be preferable.

My plan is to have the same genetic testing done next time I make a trip to JHB. I can't remember where she had them done, will have to ask her.

Tracey, this post from krouxsa might be something your friend needs to investigate (familial hypercholesterolemia).

Just like there are people who can't handle carbs (diabetics), it's becoming increasingly apparent to me that there will be a section of the population that will react badly to a LCHF diet.

My sister (the dietician I've mentioned before in this thread) recently had a series of genetic tests done and the results were quite interesting. They showed her body has a poorer than average ability to process saturated fats and a better than average response to proteins. So for her a high protein, low saturated fat diet would seem to be preferable.

My plan is to have the same genetic testing done next time I make a trip to JHB. I can't remember where she had them done, will have to ask her.

Where as well as a rough estimate on price. :rolleyes:

i'm converted to banting the past 2 days and feel nauseous, irratable most of the time. i believe that this will surpass! i'm also less hungry and feel improved energy levels. what i do wanna know is, without reading all 228 pages, what do you guys/girls take for early morning training and racing rides/runs (4am)? post recovery???

i'm converted to banting the past 2 days and feel nauseous, irratable most of the time. i believe that this will surpass! i'm also less hungry and feel improved energy levels. what i do wanna know is, without reading all 228 pages, what do you guys/girls take for early morning training and racing rides/runs (4am)? post recovery???

Before, bulletproof coffee, and a fistful of almonds. After very long or very hard sessions, I take recovery carbs (but don't tell anyone).

My Vitality cholesterol feedback after this weekend:

2012 = 4.2

Started LCHF shortly after

2013 = 5.1

2014 = 4.01

Nice ne, but I think it is safe to presume that my HDL is now low as well. Is this bad?

According to my GP, all low carb diets end up with elevated cholestorol in the first 2 months. He went on to say, do not get tested during this period. Wait 2 months or so then test and it should be more accurate.

Noakes diet unproven - UCT scientists

August 25 2014 at 06:00am

By Francesca Villette

Comment on this story

http://www.iol.co.za/polopoly_fs/copy-of-ct-tim-noakes2-1.1384289!/image/2108855509.jpg_gen/derivatives/box_300/2108855509.jpg

INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS

Professor Tim Noakes. Picture: Antoine de Ras

Cape Town - Sport scientist Tim Noakes is making “outrageous, unproven claims about disease prevention” in advocating a high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet, says UCT’s Faculty of Health Sciences.

This comes after MPs and staff at Parliament expressed support for the diet after Noakes spoke to them and warned about South Africa’s obesity “epidemic”.

But academics in the health sciences are worried that the diet has no real scientific evidence to back it up, Wim de Villiers, dean of the faculty at UCT, says in a letter to the Cape Times.

“The message it sends out to the public about healthy eating is cause for deep concern – not only regarding Parliament’s support for it as an evidence-based ‘diet revolution’, but sadly, the long-term impact this may have on the health of the very people they have been elected to serve,” says the letter, signed by De Villiers and three other academics.

De Villiers said that while the consumption of a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet might lead to initial weight loss, there was “good reason” to believe it could result in nutritional deficiencies, and increase the risk of heart disease, diabetes, kidney problems, constipation and some cancers.

Noakes, a professor at UCT, has hit back, saying the university has continually misrepresented his message about the diet.

“An outline of the scientific evidence for my position is presented in about 20 000 words in our book Real Meal Revolution.

“That work includes references to the most important scientific works supporting my interpretation,” he said.

De Villiers said that by promoting his diet as revolutionary, Noakes was vilifying the integrity and credibility of those who criticised the lack of evidence for the benefits of his diet. It was also contrary to UCT’s principle of academic freedom.

De Villiers said yon Sunday he advocated a balanced diet of foods from all food groups. The human body needed a range of nutrients to survive.

“Diets like Banting are, however, typically ‘one dimensional’ in focus. They promote increased intake of protein- and fat-containing foods at the expense of healthy carbohydrate-containing foods, and focus on adherence to a limited food plan,” De Villiers said.

Luzuko Jacobs, spokesman for Parliament, said Noakes had been invited on more than one occasion to speak about health and wellness. “We aim to offer a variety of speakers when it comes to the topic of wellness.… that he spoke in Parliament… does not mean we are entering into any kind of partnership with him.”

Noakes said a high-carbohydrate diet was detrimental to the health of people with insulin resistance.

“If that message is without scientific support, then the faculty has every right to cross the civil divide as it has now chosen – an action which, I suspect, is unprecedented in the history of the faculty and perhaps also in the history of UCT.”

He added: “Carbohydrate restriction in this group can be profoundly beneficial as it can reverse obesity and in some cases Type 2 diabetes mellitus – the two conditions that will ultimately bankrupt South African medical services unless we take appropriate preventive actions.

“If there is evidence for my position, then the faculty is guilty of failing fully to inform its past and present science, medical and dietetics graduates in a manner that should be appropriate for a faculty that considers itself a world leader.”

francesca.villette@inl.co.za

Cape Times http://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/noakes-diet-unproven-uct-scientists-1.1740204#.U_rcaPoaKmQ

Hi Tracy,

IF the doc is making that comment based on a total (serum)cholesterol value only ... run a mile ... go find a real doctor. Seriously, total cholesterol is at VERY best an indicator to start looking at other stuff only - that's all it is. Making decisions based on this number madness - it's 50 year old technology.

The topic is far too large to handle in real detail here - LD, HDL, non-HDL, ApoA1, ApoB, Triglycerides, CRP, HbA1c, etc, etc are all factors to look at if you're worried about heart health and certainly need to be looked at before considering statins.

Suggest you have a look at "Cholesterol Clarity" book by Westman and Moore for starters. Then go find a real doc or cardiologist.

Lastly, as someone already said .... 5 weeks in is still part of adaptation and weight loss can increase LDL in particular. If it was me, I'd wait till weight loss is finished and consistently low carb for 3 months, then have a look at a cholesterol if you want to. BUT - I'm not a doctor, so don't take my word for it - do some research.