Looked fine to me

Thanks - therein lies my point

Edited by JGR

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All good, but where do you draw the line? Say UCI prohibits the use of cut-off jerseys, does that mean that riders not complying should be DQ'd in the Epic?

Call me a putz but hey - follow the rules - if the rules say 6 month ban for not wearing sleeves I suggest wearing sleeves.

You can debate the definition of "stupid rules" but personally I don't think being forced to wear sleeves and leave your go pro at home is unreasonable.

I hate nanny state anything but I don't think any UCi rules are at the sutpid rule state yet...

Really busy at work today, some comments I'd like to make and respond to, so I'll post a bit later. You know, to rally up support and sympathy etc for poor old me.

Call me a putz but hey - follow the rules - if the rules say 6 month ban for not wearing sleeves I suggest wearing sleeves.

You can debate the definition of "stupid rules" but personally I don't think being forced to wear sleeves and leave your go pro at home is unreasonable.

I hate nanny state anything but I don't think any UCi rules are at the sutpid rule state yet...

Ok put differently: how many teams were DQ'd for wearing sleeveless jerseys in the 2013 Epic?

Ok put differently: how many teams were DQ'd for wearing sleeveless jerseys in the 2013 Epic?

Seriously? You're going to push that point? In a doper thread?

To be quite honest - I really don't care. Personally I couldn't care less if you raced the epic in a borat costume.

Not having sleeves doesn't give you a tangible advantage over the rest of the field. Doping does.

To be quite honest - I really don't care. Personally I couldn't care less if you raced the epic in a borat costume.

Not having sleeves doesn't give you a tangible advantage over the rest of the field. Doping does.

What if the banned substance does not give you a tangible advantage?

I know some things I am on for non sport reasons, no advantage to sport but are banned. It may in fact make me slower. I think the point is the rules are rules, regardless of advantage or not.

Guest Smimby

So if I understand the general idea here....

Most recreational riders, back markers, holding down a job and have a snotty sick one at home

Now goes and does the ODD MTB half or full (not even the Ultra) must carry with them the table of banned substances just incase?

So no more bioplus if you have an excam tomorrow, NO we dont care that you work and study and try to train also...."it is BANNED"

You have a cold, or even worse sinus (allergy) make SURE you know what is in it.....because it is the rule?

I understand the rules, but not the logic

Most recreational riders, back markers, holding down a job and have a snotty sick one at home

Now goes and does the ODD MTB half or full (not even the Ultra) must carry with them the table of banned substances just incase?

So no more bioplus if you have an excam tomorrow, NO we dont care that you work and study and try to train also...."it is BANNED"

You have a cold, or even worse sinus (allergy) make SURE you know what is in it.....because it is the rule?

Its just like the "cannot have your cake and eat it" saying....

Have you visited drugfreesport.co.za? Click on the medicine list to see if your medicine is allowed.

It's simple.

What if the banned substance does not give you a tangible advantage?

I know some things I am on for non sport reasons, no advantage to sport but are banned. It may in fact make me slower. I think the point is the rules are rules, regardless of advantage or not.

I agree that rules are rules.

In the end if they did random testing in the Bronze medals of almost any running race, most would fail. I prefer the more tolerant European approach to the whole doping thing. Testing and punishment should be in relation to the "weight" of the result. The better you do the more stringent the testing. The greater the anomoly the greater the suspision.

In the end what has happened is that cyclists should realise that the Cape Epic is not a mass participant fun event like Comrades. It is a UCI event and all cyclists entering are elite cyclists and therefore bound by UCI rules and conventions.

I don't think that is however the marketing message that goes out from the organisers. They seem to accept anyone who throws money at them, their cutoffs are very liberal and entry requirements almost non existent. I would almost go to say that they should be pulled over the coals for misleading marketing on this one.

Playing a bit devils advocate here......But you don't believe in the devil right? hehehehhe :P

Rules are rules. You break one.....you break all. Is that not the base of an event? Rules. mmmmmmmm.................

The rules doesn't say anything about sleeveless shirts:

http://www.cape-epic...30307170336.pdf

Section 8.3 Appropriate riding attire, including a shirt, must be worn at all times.

First Offence - Verbal Warning,

Second Offence - 1 Hour Penalty,

Third Offence - DQ

That is the Epic's org rules. Go check on the UCI rules. B)

Have you visited drugfreesport.co.za? Click on the medicine list to see if your medicine is allowed.

It's simple.

Not all medicine are on there. I have mailed them a couple of times asking this and that etc. Their database is not always up to date.

Then the second biggest gripe is that if it is not a scheduled medicine, it won't be on there.

Medicine is not the problem here I think. Supplementation is.

And THAT my friend is an absolute mess! No one can guarantee anything or knows anything because too much money and sponsorship is made out of it.

I know some things I am on for non sport reasons, no advantage to sport but are banned.

I think the point is the rules are rules, regardless of advantage or not.

You are right, rules are rules and the rules provide for a TUE (therapeutic use exemption) for people in your position.

Fill out the form and tell them what you are on and why BEFORE the event (or after you got bust if you are LA) and you are good to race.

It is neither complicated nor difficult. It is also relatively fair.

Playing a bit devils advocate here......But you don't believe in the devil right? hehehehhe :P

Rules are rules. You break one.....you break all. Is that not the base of an event? Rules. mmmmmmmm.................

That is the Epic's org rules. Go check on the UCI rules. B)

Not all medicine are on there. I have mailed them a couple of times asking this and that etc. Their database is not always up to date.

Then the second biggest gripe is that if it is not a scheduled medicine, it won't be on there.

Medicine is not the problem here I think. Supplementation is.

And THAT my friend is an absolute mess! No one can guarantee anything or knows anything because too much money and sponsorship is made out of it.

I'm all for robust debate :-)

Rules are rules - yes I agree. I think some people are interpreting my borat comment as some rules being more important than others. I'll use that old yes and no answer as my cop out. I abide by all rules - I don't own a sleeveless top or a go pro. I do, however, think that banning someone for a sleevless vest is silly. There isn't a practical reason for banning sleeveless tops. To put sleeveless wearers and dopers in the same league is to do the fight against dopers an injustice. But, like I said, rules are in place so follow them and most of the UCI rules I've seen are not laborious or stoopid.

Agreed on the medicines. It isn't a dfficult system though - I only have to take meds once or twice per year. Not that difficult to check. That said - the SAIDS list is not always up to date. In this instance though Barry wasn't a victim of supplement contamination or poor advice on medicine. He knw there were lurgies in his system.

Double agreed on the supplements. That is just a crap shoot. My solution is to limit supplements. It aint perfect but it's the best I can do. That said - the serious stuff like EPO/NESP/CERA is unlikely to be in a supplement - same more steroids. More common would be the ephedrines etc.

You are right, rules are rules and the rules provide for a TUE (therapeutic use exemption) for people in your position.

Fill out the form and tell them what you are on and why BEFORE the event (or after you got bust if you are LA) and you are good to race.

It is neither complicated nor difficult. It is also relatively fair.

Good call! I missed that one.