Sailing

Witkop

The gypsy is unfortunately one of the few South African boats that just did not make it.  It has had a number of design flaws, especially the centreboard casing and the cheap wooden centreboard that tends to break when jibbing.  Also it only really starts moving in a 20 knot wind, as It was originally conceived as a family cruiser and not as a racing boat.  As some-one said "it takes a special kind of sailor to capsize a gypsy."

You can also consider a dolphin, enterprise, GP 14 and mirror, if you are looking for a family boat.

If you want a real challenge there is always the sprog.........(many teenagers have learnt how to swim sailing these....)

our gypsey had a considerably modified centreboard. LOADS of epoxy & glass. For a family cruiser, it was hard to beat. But we let it go and got a halcat instead. 

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has the Klipper yacht that sank out at Llandudno been discussed? Parents were thinking of it but at R2 bar they thought there are better ways to travel the world.

Has the Klipper yacht that sank out at Llandudno been discussed? Parents were thinking of it but at R2 bar they thought there are better ways to travel the world.

dunno, they being lank quiet about it so i'm guessing they're letting it slip and taking insurance.

it's in a NATIONAL RESERVE so a bit hard to get eyewitness accounts.

in other news, some of the punters managed to hitch a ride on another bark

http://clipperroundtheworld.com/news/article/hotelplannercom-resumes-racing-after-port-elizabeth-diversion

At this stage at the Pretoria Sailing Club, we have a large fleet of finns and dolphins.  The Finns range from Finn No 5 all the way up to the latest Pata Finn and even a Devoti Finn from Europe.  (why we are strong in finns is a long and complicated story which involves the demise of sailing at President's dam in Springs and scrap metal theft in Germiston) We attempt as far as possible to keep the boats in the club.  New members are encouraged to buy up boats from old members, and we "recycle" the hulls in this way.  This allows us to both keep the two classes alive and strong and to provide beginners with inexpensive boats and chances to upgrade as they get better, financially stronger or as better boats become available. 

However, we also have a large number of lasers, GP14, Enterprises, mirrors, 505 and FD.

Our numbers of sprogs, spearheads, fireballs, sonnets and laser II have fallen off.  Our biggest challenge is to get the smaller fleets onto the water.  It seems that as soon as a class falls below 5  active crews then the chances of recovery are limited.

I hear you Paddaman but there in lies the challenge with a fleet such as the Finns. Are you starting modern and classic on the same gun? Demoralising for the classic skipper on the first beat when regardless of his Dacron sail and aluminium mast condition he is blown into the weeds when the fist puff hits a Carbon reinforced 3DL on a Hit Mast and the modern boat points higher and goes faster. Unfortunately cheque-book racing!

Rather a strict one-design with locally sourced chandlery that allows the skill of the skipper and crew to shine through; these skills being easily transferable should the opportunity arise for international competition on international classes.

Not saying for those who want to throw pots of money on Devoti's and the like there should not be a class but not at the expense of those wanting to race on equal footing. And without being non-PC to any club out there still trying to survive; its the mistake many have made.

I hear you Paddaman but there in lies the challenge with a fleet such as the Finns. Are you starting modern and classic on the same gun? Demoralising for the classic skipper on the first beat when regardless of his Dacron sail and aluminium mast condition he is blown into the weeds when the fist puff hits a Carbon reinforced 3DL on a Hit Mast and the modern boat points higher and goes faster. Unfortunately cheque-book racing!

Rather a strict one-design with locally sourced chandlery that allows the skill of the skipper and crew to shine through; these skills being easily transferable should the opportunity arise for international competition on international classes.

Not saying for those who want to throw pots of money on Devoti's and the like there should not be a class but not at the expense of those wanting to race on equal footing. And without being non-PC to any club out there still trying to survive; its the mistake many have made.

We normally have an open start.  Everyone understands that there is a difference in the boats and the guys on the classics normally land up racing against each other at the back of the fleet.  However, occasionally (more than what the modern Finnsters will admit)  we get a classic finishing in the top end of the fleet.  This is often due to some luck (as Rietvlei is notorious for its fickle winds) and bag loads of skill.  In the end all the Finn sailors want to do is go out and race hard, the results are not that important.  (I still am battling to get a handicap system working as with series racing, not everyone races each race)

it's really awesome to have this dinghy chat, didn't know we had so many yachtie lurkers here!

the CT keelboat scene is going a bit crazy now. the boats are just insane compared to about ten years ago when i was in the L34 fleet of 7/8 boats. Then orion express was like a simonis 50 and the bizniz.

from that we now have 'superyachts'. 

The Cape31 have been smoking around the course as the owners are all working out their new 'toys'

I can write a lot about it, but just have a look at this

https://www.facebook.com/tony.norris.73/videos/10154989619046512/?hc_ref=ARQHQe1Gx0W34TQA_XIKqViRBHD5Z6QRtmFp5UyKrgc7i7c4G5I7NVygiTm3MKjAr-Y

we are actually a 'destination' now too (if this works) http://www.cape31.co.za/files/Race-sailing%20holiday%20in%20Cape%20Town1.pdf

I agree Rider. 

I was active at the RCYC sailing my own boat (Jeune Fille) up and down the coast from Port Owen to Gordons Bay over week-ends as I could only keep her free at a club for 10 days at a time.  Maybe you remember her?  I was a member of RNYC and had reciprocities.  Did this for several years and covered many miles.

Sailed her up to Durban where I eventually sold her.  And that was that.  Still shed a tear.  Used to race on a Farr 38 though.  Very different to what is available now.  As you say,The L34  seemed the biz those days but racing sleds have now become the norm.  Class racing for me, regardless of boat, was the best time for me.

Did most of my sailing on a L26, with work can't get off early enough to sail on Wednesday's, they still race regularly on Hors'duve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4133516779_b405bbaee0_b.jpg

Ohhh, that might hurt!  In full flight around the mast I reckon.

This is probably the same as going OTB in MTB terms.

Edited by Sepia

Next America's Cub in NZ is apparently going back to monohulls, inevitably foiled though.

We built a Mirror from a kit (dad&I), I enjoyed sailing it to a point but found East Rand dams limiting, yearned for the open ocean, still do it fact.

Ohhh, that might hurt!  In full flight around the mast I reckon.

This is probably the same as going OTB in MTB terms.

Yeah that's gonna hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

Next America's Cub in NZ is apparently going back to monohulls, inevitably foiled though.

We built a Mirror from a kit (dad&I), I enjoyed sailing it to a point but found East Rand dams limiting, yearned for the open ocean, still do it fact.

spot on, sort of!

there is some crazy sailing tagteam going on right now in cape town

these guys arriving

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/dashboard.html

these guys just left the building

http://www.tractrac.com/viewer/index.php?target=https://em.event.tractrac.com/events/d88a46b0-b0bf-0135-f240-60a44ce903c3/races/8f3cfe80-b0f3-0135-f42e-60a44ce903c3.json