Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Guys, need some input...not lus to go shopping, but lus for a meaty curry. Currently in pantry: boerwors, red kidney beans & coconut milk. Also all masalas & spices, etc needed for a curry. Do you think the combo (boerie & beans) will work?

Probably - boerewors is just spiced mince, basically.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posting this here after that discussion about Nando's and their prices. Last year we got an airfryer and it's the best decision we ever made. Started out by making our own fries but you can do so much more with it. 

Roast chicken is the easiest thing in the world and best of all, you don't need any oven bags and it takes less than 40 minutes.

One tip: When you get an airfryer, get the biggest one you can. As you start learning how to use it you will want to use it more and more. We got the Philips XL and it's just large enough to fit a medium-sized whole chicken.

Recipe:

Couldn't be easier. 

Rub chicken with lemon juice, then a little olive oil. Spice to taste. Pop in preheated airfryer at 180c for 20 minutes, flip and roast another 15 minutes. 

Take the chicken out and make sure to let it rest before you carve it. The skin will be crispy but the inside will still be very tender and juicy and if you carve it too soon you will waste all those juices.

NB: My times are calculated on a small to medium chicken that has been completely defrosted and taken out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before roasting.

yzQvfKj.jpg

Made my own scones for the first time. Easier than I thought and tasty!

Savoury cheese scones:
1 cup flour
1 cup grated cheese
1 cup milk (I used yogurt because I thought we didn't have milk)
2 tspns baking powder
salt to taste
I added some cayenne pepper and leftover shredded chicken as well.
Mix, spoon in muffin tray and bake at 180c for about 30 minutes

CIt4Y6Q.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found a pizza dough recipe I really like: Simple and straightforward and easy to make.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...e-detail/4539/

I don't have a pizza stone so I just use a flat baking tray and there was enough dough to make three large pizzas. This is the third or fourth recipe I've tried and by far the tastiest and the closest to what I imagined when I started learning to make my own pizzas. Didn't take photos but I will next time!

Finally found a pizza dough recipe I really like: Simple and straightforward and easy to make.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...e-detail/4539/

I don't have a pizza stone so I just use a flat baking tray and there was enough dough to make three large pizzas. This is the third or fourth recipe I've tried and by far the tastiest and the closest to what I imagined when I started learning to make my own pizzas. Didn't take photos but I will next time!

In regard to the pizza stone. We used a ceramic tile this weekend with great success.

In regard to the pizza stone. We used a ceramic tile this weekend with great success.

I just use my cast iron skillet... heat it up properly, take it off the heat, brush a tiny amount of your chosen oil on the skillet, roll out the dough and place it in the skillet. Starts crisping up the dough nicely, while you get the toppings ready. 

Pop it into a PIPING hot oven, until the cheese is JUST right. NOMS. 

Savoury cheese scones:

1 cup flour

1 cup grated cheese

2 tspns baking powder

salt to taste

CIt4Y6Q.jpg

Thats is my basic cheese scone recipe..

Now add some diced bacon to the batter..

..melt butter and marmite and then drizzle it over the scones when you take it out the oven..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

..melt butter and marmite and then drizzle it over the scones when you take it out the oven..

I hate you. So much, right now. 

Flip, now I'm hungry.

Flip, now I'm hungry.

And if you need more...this recipe includes measurements for a triple batch[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]..because 1 batch is never enough.

The butter marmite mix is I think 1 tablespoon marmite to 2 tablespoon butter..but that it personal taste...play with it until you are happy.

I think I am just going to make this for the kids lunchboxes tomorrow .

4ec37c1776b9352693cde4da9cff0c22.jpg

Edited by Gen

And if you need more...this recipe includes measurements for a triple batch[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]..because 1 batch is never enough.

The butter marmite mix is I think 1 tablespoon marmite to 2 tablespoon butter..but that it personal taste...play with it until you are happy.

I think I am just going to make this for the kids lunchboxes tomorrow .

4ec37c1776b9352693cde4da9cff0c22.jpg

Thanks Gen

I think I might try this.

Thanks Gen

I think I might try this.

It is impossible to mess up that recipe..just check your oven..my oven isn't fancy so I keep mine in just a little longer...stick knife in scone to check if it's cooked through.[emoji1303]

Best served hot[emoji23]

Everyone loves it..I normally don't even get a chance to do the marmite butter drizzle ..they disappear off the rack as I take them out of the ovem.. all I hear is ouch, ouch, hot, hot..and are there more [emoji848]

Edited by Gen

Savoury cheese scones:

1 cup flour

1 cup grated cheese

2 tspns baking powder

salt to taste

CIt4Y6Q.jpg

That looks, and sounds like a good cheat meal.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using Gennaro Contaldo's recipe to practise making my own pizzas and I think I've finally gotten to the point where I'm happy with them. He would probably throw his hands in despair at the thought of me using a rolling pin to flatten out the base, but I like a really thin, crispy base and I don't have a lot of patience. My latest effort with peri chicken, pork rasher, green pepper, cherry tomatoes and cheddar cheese.

H45wggg.jpg

Recipe here: