What someone is willing to pay

Butterbean

as you said yourself WHAT SOMEONE IS WILLING TO PAY

people heve been trading goods to willing buyers since the begining of time, clearly there is a market for people who dont know the true value of goods, this story of helping HUBBERS seriously???? JUST BECAUSE THE GUY IS ON THE SAME FORUM AS YOU, YOU THINK HE DOESNT WANT HIS MONEY??

would you prefer to get taken for a ride by a GUMTREE tycoon? find what you looking for at the price you looking for or move on, nothing on the hub is going to change LBS pricing structures trust me

Edited by dipslick

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear you, I find it rather amusing when they get offers and realize the position they are in, they quickly disappear...I like to move things fast on the hub, sometimes taking a hit in the process. I managed to strip and sell all the components off my gary fisher in 3 hours....

Exactly .... or known as priced to sell. Its not worth the admin having ads up for ages and haggling.

My 2c... No point getting upset with unrealistic prices that people are asking for, go in with what you believe is fair for the product, make an offer, if the person wants cash then its done or leave a msg stating that the offer is open ended and if they haven't sold the goods in x amount of time then they should contact you?

I love the ads with no pic and discription that say "make me an offer" with no other info.

Or the one that say email me for pics and info. ( I understand it not easy to load pics from tablets) but then give a good description don't just say "MTB frame" and then never respond to questions on the thread.

Classic example

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/52098-mountainbike-and-racing-bikes-under-r1500/

Edited by jcmeyerSS

• unrealistic pricing deserves to be commented on, in public. If you want to overprice bring your flamesuit along and HTFU when you are attacked.
  • Classifieds should be used to attract trolls away from other threads

If I have to make a wild guess, I'll say 90% of the things advertised in classifieds which get sold are going for less than the asking price. The sellers don't mind to drop their prices if negotiated, unless it is a real bargain and the seller states that the price is not negotiable. I think that they advertise at a higher price to make provision for discount. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Your car salesman does it as well. If you don't ask for discount, it's a bonus for him.

On the flipside, we also complain about guys that advertise a dogma2 for R10 000.00 or Zipp wheels for R1000.00 :whistling:

What some people don't seem to understand is that people buy second hand because they want a bargain. No one is going to buy a second hand item with no warranty, just to save R50.

I have seen second hand bikes costing more than the discounted prices offered by bike shops.

People ask and pay for items what each feel it's worth, simple. You are not forced to buy it, simply ignore the add and move on. You do not know where the seller is coming from, so you can't judge. My problem is people who want things at give-away prices, and then get upset if their "offers" are rejected. Since when is a 26" Giant Anthem with XT group set and Fox shocks worth R4500 after one year? Just because your buddy said so?

People ask and pay for items what each feel it's worth, simple. You are not forced to buy it, simply ignore the add and move on. You do not know where the seller is coming from, so you can't judge. My problem is people who want things at give-away prices, and then get upset if their "offers" are rejected. Since when is a 26" Giant Anthem with XT group set and Fox shocks worth R4500 after one year? Just because your buddy said so?

Your anthem is worth what people are prepared to pay, not what you think its worth....When I offer money and the seller rejects it, nine out of ten times they come back the next day asking if my offer is still on the table....true story.

Edited by rouxtjie

OK - Its Friday afterall.. Listen up!

The key is to argue the points. If someone is intent on ripping an unsuspected buyer a new one, then let natural selection take it's course.

Ok so we've had had a couple of classified related threads in the past few days, which have been moaning sessions for a couple of reasons...

Well, here's mine.

WHAT THE F*** IS UP WITH THE PRICES OF SECOND HAND GOODS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS?

If I buy a golf gti, and drive it from the dealership to my home, lets say it's 35km at a push. That car is now second hand, and it's lost a good couple of grand off its value. Just by leaving the showroom floor

You will lose at least 14%. This is VAT that the dealer pays which you cannot recoup, unless you are a car dealer of course. Also consider whether warrantee on your GTi is transferrable. Only if the dealer buys it back and then sells it again. And then it is most probably a dealer warrantee and not a VW one.

Now let's say I've bought a brand new frame... Paid 20k for it. I don't like it after three weeks, so I sell it on the hub. But I want 19500. Really? Come on... The tag line of "only done 500kms" means nothing. We all know that 500kms could be up to 10 or more rides on that frame. Who knows what abuse it takes in those 10 rides! And you want what you paid for it? Come on...Same argument as with VAT and warrantees. If I buy your frame and it cracks 3 weeks down the line, it would be fraudulent to claim against manufacturers warrantee as the frame was onsold. I would also have not guarantee apart from your word that you would be willing to commit fraud for my sake

Seriously, why the hell are we paying the ridiculous asking prices? All its doing is allowing the LBS to push their prices up even more because they know the second hand goods market.

I'm sorry. It's getting out of hand now.

One hubber had a line of "I thought the classified section was to help fellow hubbers". It's helping no one this crap happens. I don't mind paying what something is worth, but seriously, why do you guys who do this think you ad stays here for 4 months? Because you're being ridiculous, that's why.

Anyway... That's my Friday morning rant off. I can't be the only one who's noticed this...

Your anthem is worth what people are prepared to pay, not what you think its worth....When I offer money and the seller rejects it, nine out of ten times they come back the next day asking if my offer is still on the table....true story.

Agree, thus my opening statement, but there is a place for being fair. Edited by LikeToRide

Agree, thus my opening statement.

I am actually referring to the anthem being worth 4500...here is the reality

Its a 26'inch 100mm travel bike....the market for those are not that great...is what it is.

Its secondhand with no guarantee on a frame that is known to crack at the seatpost

It probably has older XT spec components that has seen some miles(cassette, chain and chainrings needs replacing)

It probably has the stock giant wheels(heavy) on them, tyres are worn and sealant dried up

So ja 4500 will be a bargain but 6000 will be a fair price I reckon

I'v got a rule of thumb.... Second hand cycling gear in very good condition, should sell for half of the recomended retail price.

Iv bought and sold some great stuff on that basis. I think thats very fair dealing.

I never thought I would have something to rant about the classified sections.

but what the yankee doodle dandle is this thing with T.B.A ???

surely you know the amount of money you want for your item ?

if you don't know how much you want for it, don't advertise simple!!! and if you want to find out how much you can get, ask!

as one comment said, if you want to show off to your friends put it on a thread, not classified.

time for some tea now

http://www.thehubsa....d-epic-comp-29/

What annoyed me when I sold my beautiful carbon FS bike recently was the ridiculous offers I got (50% of asking price). Excuse was always its a 26er, no resale value, you won't sell it for that price blah blah blah.

I had taken into account the fact that is was a 26er which why I was selling it for only 30% of the original retail value.

My problem was that I stared believing them and dropped my minimum price in my head. I accepted an offer of 85% of the my price. The same day I agree, someone offered me the full price.

I should have stuck by my beliefs that the price was right. It is a great bike!