The Burry case: Dropping and reinstating of charges

TimW

Once again, this is based on assumption. Do you know what evidence the prosecution has?

Are you a lawyer by any chance TW (oh and Sepia)? :ph34r:

It's all semantics to me. Bottom line is, a great champion died, from the eyewitnesses that made statements to the press the taxi was in the wrong, and Burry's death was in vein.

Sad day, I'll let the legal folk with their semantics argue this one til the cows come home, it just doesn't seem right though.

Edited by rattlesnake

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No evidence (messed up docket) = no case, simple.

History repeats itself.

Yeah, the NPA has had a number of howlers of late.

Are you a lawyer by any chance TW (oh and Sepia)? :ph34r:

It's all semantics to me. Bottom line is, a great champion died, from the eyewitnesses that made statements to the press the taxi was in the wrong, and Burry's death was in vein.

Sad day, I'll let the legal folk with their semantics argue this one til the cows come home, it just doesn't seem right though.

Journalist, actually. It's got nothing to do with semantics.

Precisely. got everything to do with what can be proven, and what actually happened. Yes, Burry's death is and was tragic. Yes, it's horrible.

But in this case, was the taxi driver in the wrong? Remains to be proven. If it cannot be proven (witness testimony aside, and no witness will be reliable now, given all the media exposure) then it cannot be proven.

Taxi driver is not automatically in the wrong.

Nobody is defending the taxi driver.

The majority of them behave like a-holes, but the fact remains it was initially reported as a hit and run (which it wasn't), and now it is simply assumed that the driver was in the wrong.

That's not how it works, for a taxi driver or any other motorist.

Further, to assume that the driver is automatically wrong because Burry was a "pro bike handler" is ludicrous.

Reports all clearly stated the driver turned right in front of Burry as he descended a hill. Are we now to assume they are wrong?

In some countries, in the case of cyclist / car accidents, there is automatic presumption of guilt for the driver of the larger vehicle. It's called presumed liability. Personally I think this is a fantastic law.

Being an apologist for driver negligence in this case, with the exposure that it has had, and considering what we have lost as a nation, what Burry's family has lost - seriously?

This driver, unless he can prove beyond all reasonable doubt that he was not at fault, should be hung drawn and quartered for all the country to see. We might see a bit more caution exercised in future.

Either which way, it seems that the words and letter of the law are more important than whats right and whats wrong here. Just sayin.

The legal system doesn't always end up with the right result, many cases have proven this. But technically, if you are arguing to the letter of the law, you are spot on. What is lawful isnt always fair and just though.

Exits thread..... LEFT

Edited by rattlesnake

This driver, unless he if it can be proven beyond all reasonable doubt that he was not at fault, should be hung drawn and quartered for all the country to see. We might see a bit more caution exercised in future.

fixed.

Reports all clearly stated the driver turned right in front of Burry as he descended a hill. Are we now to assume they are wrong?

In some countries, in the case of cyclist / car accidents, there is automatic presumption of guilt for the driver of the larger vehicle. It's called presumed liability. Personally I think this is a fantastic law.

Being an apologist for driver negligence in this case, with the exposure that it has had, and considering what we have lost as a nation, what Burry's family has lost - seriously?

This driver, unless he can prove beyond all reasonable doubt that he was not at fault, should be hung drawn and quartered for all the country to see. We might see a bit more caution exercised in future.

The onus is not on the driver to prove his innocence, but on the prosecution to prove his guilt.

Once again, this is based on assumption. Do you know what evidence the prosecution has?

If he is guilty, I would like nothing more than to see him convicted. It's just not that simple.

What if there simply isn't enough evidence to proceed?

What if..... Heresay?

You probably have better contacts or resources than most of all of us put together, do u have a reason for thinking and saying that or are you just playing the devils advocate?

fixed.

I said 'should be' not 'will be'. Depressing that members of this forum are so comfortable with this guy walking away to drive his taxi down the same roads. When one of you get flattened I expect we'll hear the same crap echoed around these parts.

http://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/wiki/dutch-cycle-because-strict-liability-made-everybody-drive-safely-and-play-nice

if matter was provisionally withdrawn the matter can be placed on the roll again.the mere fact that the matter was prov withdrawn is no indication that someone is not guilty.this normally affords the state more time to do a proper investigation rather than rush the case and not having all the evidence to lead during the trial which might end up in the aquital of a guilty man.the sad part is that someone died and that the wheels of justice(including the investigation ) is taking so long.

I said 'should be' not 'will be'. Depressing that members of this forum are so comfortable with this guy walking away to drive his taxi down the same roads. When one of you get flattened I expect we'll hear the same crap echoed around these parts.

http://www.cycling-e...y-and-play-nice

And how do we know that HE was at fault? That's the point. Until such time as the evidence is submitted to the court, and the prosecution has had their say, along with the defence, we CANNOT know whether he was at fault or not. Yes, he hit Burry. Was he guilty of murder? Maybe. Manslaughter? Maybe.

Until then, wait for the evidence to present itself. One cannot be convicted on possibilities, and to call for such is really going down the wrong path.

http://www.cycling-e...y-and-play-nice

I don't think anyone is "comfortable with this guy walking away". Some of us are just less comfortable with mob justice.

Edited by Servetus

What if..... Heresay?

You probably have better contacts or resources than most of all of us put together, do u have a reason for thinking and saying that or are you just playing the devils advocate?

I think the OP - a work colleague - is better-placed and closer to the story than I am. Not Devil's Advocate at all. Just applying the objective mind I would to this as I would to any story I edit.