The Burry case: Dropping and reinstating of charges

TimW

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dries Liebenberg @DriesLiebenberg

Taxi driver's trial over road death of Olympic cyclist #Burry Stander set to resume in Port Shepstone court #sabcnews

TreadMTBmag @TreadMTBmag

The Burry Stander trial resumes today. Here's a reminder of why it matters... #iride4burry

BxJBD8ICQAAxDvL.jpg

The fact is that Burry Stander would still be alive today if it was not for the actions of the driver...that is why there is this don't care attitude from some drivers, I am in a vehicle and I cannot get hurt if I hit a cyclist. The only way to change that mentality is to show people, that there are severe consequences for these actions. We lost a Legend..

Dries Liebenberg @DriesLiebenberg

Taxi driver's trial over road death of Olympic cyclist #Burry Stander set to resume in Port Shepstone court #sabcnews

TreadMTBmag @TreadMTBmag

The Burry Stander trial resumes today. Here's a reminder of why it matters... #iride4burry

BxJBD8ICQAAxDvL.jpg

Two questions, just a little bit confused from how I remember it.

*Wasn't Burry going North, taxi going South?

*Was it an illegal turn? Pretty sure the taxi was turning into a legal road - but didn't have right of way so should have waited for oncoming traffic first.

@DriesLiebenberg: Court rules in favour of state over admissability of GPS data from #Burry Stander's bicycle. Trial resumres tomorrow #sabcnews

Brilliant news, slowly slowly catcha da monkey

There was a solid line no turning right for the taxi!!

So actually its 2 violations..he wasnt allowed to turn right and he did not wait for oncoming traffic..

Criminal: Stander’s GPS data ruled admissible

The reliability of the GPS data retrieved from the device mounted on Olympian Burry Stander’s bicycle took centre stage yesterday during the culpable homicide trial of taxi driver Njabulo Nyawose, notes a report in The Mercury. Nyawose’s attorney, Xolile Ntshulana, yesterday argued that evidence provided by Peter Jurgen Smith – a GPS tracking device technician – when he was cross-examined in court last month could not be ‘rendered admissible’ as the manner in which the data was obtained was unreliable. This, he said, was because there was no trail of how the evidence was stored by police prior to it being retrieved by the device manufacturers. However, the state prosecutor urged the court to admit the data. She said ‘the device could not be manipulated without leaving a trace or a footprint in the form of a new date and time stamp which the computer would automatically assign to the manipulated data’. Ntshulana argued that: ‘The evidence indicates it is highly unsafe to rely on this piece of evidential material… the court ought to attach very little or no weight at all in the evidence of video.’ The report adds the claims were dismissed by Magistrate Charmaine Barnard who ruled that the retrieved GPS data could be used. She said it was only possible to edit the data once downloaded on to a computer. Barnard said it was therefore ‘immaterial’ how many hands handled the device before the data was generated.

Full report in The Mercury (subscription needed)

@DriesLiebenberg: Port Shepstone magistrate dismisses defence application for discharge in trial on top cyclist #Burry Stander's road death #sabcnews