Lightweight MTB for Kids?

ZeroPlay

I'd like to buy a MTB for my average height 9 year old son. I'm a bit of a weight weenie myself, so can't stand the idea of getting him a lead-pipe boat anchor of a machine. I'd also like to start taking him up the jeep tracks in Tokai, so I wouldn't want a heavy bike to contribute to killing his enthusiasm.

On the other hand, he's going to outgrow it quickly and it's sure to have a few scrapes and tumbles, so I shouldn't spend too much.

My first MTB ride was in Tokai on an an old school no-suspension Gary Fischer (CrMo frame and fork) and it was a great experience. The jeep tracks really don't require suspension most of the time so I would be keen on getting my son a rigid fork bike if there are any available that are of a suitable spec. Using a rigid fork should drop weight and price, but yet I haven't seen such kids' bikes for sale. I suspect kids think they want suspension (because it looks impressive and is like dad's bike), but would do better without the heavy, poor-quality shocks that are typically found on kids' bikes.

Can anyone suggests a sensible option? Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 10 year old rides a Strike bike ( Made by Raliegh) Alu frame and Shimano parts he ride Tokai trails no issues the younger 8 year old has a Titan also great bike and no issues riding the terain at Tokai, the bigger one has more gears as his bike has the triple crank and the Titan only has the single crank.

The younger one struggles on some of the climbs , runs out of gears.

Strike 24inch costed about 1,500-1,600 2 years back, the Titan costed around 1,700 about a year or so back.

Titan is a 21 inch

post-5307-0-20275300-1375697492_thumb.jpg

post-5307-0-95401600-1375697588_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spat

Hi My son in same boat, He rides his 20" bike up hills easily remember they weigh nothing themselves.

I am now looking to get him a 26" bike as he will be able to go much faster and although it is made for 1.5 m he has ridden on a few without any issues at 1.3 m tall, just need to put sadlle all the way forward.

What Rock said.

At this level (unless you build a bike up) the suspension forks are all heavy & really poor, performance wise. Go rigid. The lightie will appreciate the lighter bike and learn to pick his lines from a young age.

Momsen make some great kids models running good components.

What Rock said.

At this level (unless you build a bike up) the suspension forks are all heavy & really poor, performance wise. Go rigid. The lightie will appreciate the lighter bike and learn to pick his lines from a young age.

Momsen make some great kids models running good components.

i looked at the momsen range when looking for my daughters first 26" and was quite disappointed with the "bang for buck" aspect. Ended up buying second hand Scott for 4k that suits her perfectly.

Guest Latent Blue

If only my dad had the hub to ask advice...

I rode a super heavy Haro... But i still loved it!

At age 9 he should be big enough to ride an XS or S hardtail mtb frame. Then it is only a matter of deciding how silly you want to be throwing money at components and wheels to get it light enough to make you happy. What I did was to start with decent components, bought some with the bike, some afterwards, gave them my own hand-me-downs when I upgraded (great excuse b.t.w.). You can go the rigid fork route to squeeze the weight thing as much as you can, but personally I went decent air fork route with their 1st 26ers. The idea is then to buy a bigger frame as they grow and transfer the good bits to the bigger frame.

The biggest issue with a "proper" bike for a young child is the handle bar drop. By young I mean children under about 140cm.

It's easy to get the right saddle height and reach on a small frame but it's a lot harder to get the bars at the right height due to limits in geometry that usually dictate a axle to crown of 480mm.

The result, on a 26" wheelset, is a very upright riding position, not ideal for an aspiring young racer.

Under 40kg it's doubtful a child has enough weight to move most forks which is why the Lefty is suitable. But the Lefty's height is an issue.

Budget is an issue, but build with decent components and change the frame as he/she grows, this way the 5 year investment is reduced.

I'm bringing in some 26" rigid carbon forks to test on a few competitive riders to see effect on lap times.

Also just been through this with my son.

I built him a lightweight little racing machine with full 9 speed X0 with AC wheels.

Frame is 650b, so when he outgrows current config I can put a longer stem and 650b wheels on.

Bike weighs 8, 98kgs without pedals.

He has just turned 10

post-9954-0-40731000-1375707790_thumb.jpg

Also just been through this with my son.

I built him a lightweight little racing machine with full 9 speed X0 with AC wheels.

Frame is 650b, so when he outgrows current config I can put a longer stem and 650b wheels on.

Bike weighs 8, 98kgs without pedals.

He has just turned 10

Fudge, I don't even ride a bike like that......

If only my dad had the hub to ask advice...

I rode a super heavy Haro... But i still loved it!

My younger brothers got bmxs, me, being the oldest got a three speed Bomber.