MTB Brakeset Recommendation

rufus

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was contemplating Hopes, but then a friend asked me a very valid question: Well first off he said it's awesome brakes. But then he sketched this scenario: So, on the morning of K2C or day 2 of Sani or you're on vacation in Putsonderwater... where are you going to get some assistance and/or parts for Hope brakes?

Hope breaks? :P

One of the things I like about Hope is that you can buy just about all of the bits seperately. Not that you will ever need them of course.

Hope Tech/Race X2 + braided hoses + Hope floating rotors = WINNAAR!!!

So strange.

I had Maguras on my epic carbon and they were fantastic, no noise, no fade and great stopping power.

Maybe i got lucky?

I suppose it just goes to show that everyones taste is a bit different and thats what makes the world a lekker place.

Wayne, maybe I had a different version or something - I do not quite ride the same bike as you (alu Stumpy).

I'm not going to get my blood pressure up by going into detail, but those things were noise from day 1. It was shuddering... but worst of all, it was inconsistent as can be. One moment I nearly break a finger trapping it between ever and bar, next moment almost tossed over hardly touching the brakes. That was what finally did it for me...

Maybe I was unlucky with that set. I had Maguras on my previous bike (Merida 96) and never had any issues with them.

Started the thread because i currently have avid elixir 5 brakes on and honestly not very impressed. Looking for an upgrade and most riding done is XC/Marathon...

Edited by Kable269

Started the thread because i currently have avid elixir 5 brakes on and honestly not very impressed. Looking for an upgrade and most riding done is XC/Marathon...

Change the rotors to the ice tech rotors and give them a good, good bleed. I have 5's and the XX floating rotors and although they have limited adjustment (reach only) I would buy another set in a heartbeat.

I'm a hefty bloke (101kg dry but 130kg in riding kit plus bike) and they provide perfect braking control. Only time they've made a noise is with the old rotors and recently when I spilled some fluid on the rotors when bleeding and had to clean them with acetone. Noise now gone after 2 rides (rotors clean and free of acetone)

I had xx brakes and they were superb. Have tried X0 trails and they were EPIC! If I had the money, it'd be hope all the way

I notice NO ONE is suggesting Avids.

Hee Hee Hee

I have avid cr and xt .Both have served me very well .If i have to buy new set it will be slx or xt .The avid,s came with the bike and i have used them on all my stage races without any problems .Apparently the avid CR,s are reliable .Avid.s bad name have come from other models

Had old xt, loved them.

New Xt ( 2012) 2 sets, 3 warranty replacements ( leaking calipers), gave up on XT, pity.

Upgraded to Formula R1 race, Fantastic!! ( have them on both bikes, I'm a believer!)

Just need to use thinner rotors and set them up right.

Also dropped a bunch of weight in the process.

no one got anything good to say about R1 brakes ?

Awesome awesome brakes. Had them on my previous bike. Sold the bike.

Then new bike came with XT's. I didn't like them at all. Took the plunge and bought R1's again.

They have awesome stopping power. I haven't had one day of trouble with them. Mine are fitted with the reach adjust and FCS which makes setup very easy