XT or Avid Brakes??

lollos

Building up a bike and I can choose between two sets of brakes. Shimano XT (2011 model) or Avid Elixir 5S (2012 model)

I'm just familiar with the XT's - which one is the best??

Edited by lollos

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one is the best? Depends who you ask... I went from 2012 SLX on my xc bike to avid XO on my all mountain build. Had avids on for 15 minutes, pulled them off sold them and bought new XT.

Avids just don't cut it for me but different strokes for different folks!

These are quite good at comparing performance.

Personal preferences, not so much...

Edit- Not 100% sure on the exact year on these graphs though, so actually pretty useless.

post-36974-0-10717400-1379450051_thumb.jpg

post-36974-0-38011400-1379450058_thumb.jpg

Edited by SamL1220

Which Avids? Elixer, Juicy?

I had a set of Juicy 5's that worked well, but needed a lot of TLC.

Upgraded my brakes to XT, and it has been a fit and forget experience so far (+3000km). Really enjoy the lever feel and power they produce with one finger.

That being said, Avid makes great brakes, and have a lot of bad press, largely due to reliability. And I think that a lot of that has been eliminated with time, but the reputation lingers

Which Avids? Elixer, Juicy?

I had a set of Juicy 5's that worked well, but needed a lot of TLC.

Upgraded my brakes to XT, and it has been a fit and forget experience so far (+3000km). Really enjoy the lever feel and power they produce with one finger.

That being said, Avid makes great brakes, and have a lot of bad press, largely due to reliability. And I think that a lot of that has been eliminated with time, but the reputation lingers

Elixir 5's...

In my experience the Elixer brakes are much better than the Juicy's, I have two sets of Elixer 9's: prefer the lever feel and modulation over XT's and have 5000+km on both, not even a bleed. The general hub consensus will probably be to avoid avid though.

Edited by North Shore

Elixir 5's...

Sorry. Brain is a little fried at the moment. Re read the post and it is clear as day.

Edited by TopFuel

Avids are good for the mantle piece (not your own mantle piece of course), chew toys for your dog, home made hammer throw, door handles.

Avids are not good for: slowing bicycles down.

My vote goes to - anything but avid.

XTs are great.

Sorry. Brain is a little fried at the moment. Re read the post and it is clear as day.

I edited the ad and added the "elixir" part! So don't worry, your brain is stil ok!! :P

I had Elixir 3's on my previous bike and they worked fine (aside from the ever present squeak/squeal that never really went away even after changing rotors and pads), but these were an upgrade from Tektos.

On my new bike I have XT's and have had no issues with them, wet or dry. I havent bled these (I have bled the low end Shimano brakes and that was pretty painless) but have done my avids and what a PITA.

You either need to go on a misson to source parts to make your own bleed kit (costs around R20-30) or buy the Avid kit, around R400.