Feeling ripped off

Garfield2010

Ok so I will not name and shame but seriously I feel ripped off.

Bought a bike second hand. Got it but the "clamp" that tightens the seat was lost in transit... People who boxed it swore they did put it in and the courier says he has never lost anything but it is lost.

The new clamp cost me R800. Called the "supplier" as I first suspected a LBS mark up was done but they assured me that is what it costs +-. This is a not a common part so I have no choice but order it....

When I received it I could hardly believe it. Something as small and simple as this costing that much.....

Sometimes I wonder if this is why the "foreign import" market is so popular these days. I could probably have imported this part for 1/10th of the price...

This is not a who is to blame for the lost part thread. This is about the ridiculous costs of certain parts that supplier knows only they make (can't buy it over the counter at any bike store - only at the endorsed vendor...)

A similar thing happened last year... I lost a gel pad of my TT bike.... ended up paying these guys R600 (or something like that) for the replacement from a different supplier all together.

What do you think??

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i once had to spend R1400 for a pivot bolt set...nuts bolts and some bearings....yep "cycling" parts are taking the ring out of it....and a lot of people are realising this and are now shopping at engineering shops first

Ok so I will not name and shame but seriously I feel ripped off.

Bought a bike second hand. Got it but the "clamp" that tightens the seat was lost in transit... People who boxed it swore they did put it in and the courier says he has never lost anything but it is lost.

The new clamp cost me R800. Called the "supplier" as I first suspected a LBS mark up was done but they assured me that is what it costs +-. This is a not a common part so I have no choice but order it....

When I received it I could hardly believe it. Something as small and simple as this costing that much.....

Sometimes I wonder if this is why the "foreign import" market is so popular these days. I could probably have imported this part for 1/10th of the price...

This is not a who is to blame for the lost part thread. This is about the ridiculous costs of certain parts that supplier knows only they make (can't buy it over the counter at any bike store - only at the endorsed vendor...)

A similar thing happened last year... I lost a gel pad of my TT bike.... ended up paying these guys R600 (or something like that) for the replacement from a different supplier all together.

What do you think??

What makes that seat clamp so special?

For that price you could've probably had one custom made

I wanna see a pic of it?

not as bad as yours, but I bought schrader to presta adapter at well known sports shop for R60.

A few months later I strolled through the same shop while my wife was in the fitting room and found the exact same product, packaged differently and in another department (rugby gear) for R 20

I don't have a pic - bike is being assembled at a LBS. I can assure you it is not a standard clamp. It is made for this very bike and model. Still it is so small and simple.

Afterwards I considered using a hose clamp :w00t:

Maybe I should have glued/welded the seat post in permanently. Don't plan on selling the bike in any case!

Have any of you ever had to replace the bearings on a Campag hub? There isn't enough KY in Africa to soften that blow..... I share your pain Garfield.

I don't have a pic - bike is being assembled at a LBS. I can assure you it is not a standard clamp. It is made for this very bike and model. Still it is so small and simple.

Afterwards I considered using a hose clamp :w00t:

Maybe I should have glued/welded the seat post in permanently. Don't plan on selling the bike in any case!

What bike is it?

What bike is it?

The idea is not to name/blame one supplier. I get the feeling it may be a general problem as it has happened twice with me from different suppliers so I want to know if it has happened to others around here....

i once had to spend R1400 for a pivot bolt set...nuts bolts and some bearings....yep "cycling" parts are taking the ring out of it....and a lot of people are realising this and are now shopping at engineering shops first

Those in the know should post a list of the engineering shops. Sure many of us would go that route.

The idea is not to name/blame one supplier. I get the feeling it may be a general problem as it has happened twice with me from different suppliers so I want to know if it has happened to others around here....

No, not my intention at all, but it just seems weird. Some peeps like KCNC make a vast variety of clamps, and they're less than a fifth of the price of what you paid.

i dont think the question is aimed at blaming a supplier but more a curiosity thing, i am also very curious about what bike it is so i can google the seat clamp and see what cost R800 to get.

also so i can avoid buying one if i am ever tempted.