SAd but the Hub is not safe anymore!

Ride4Life

I had a weird incident a few weeks back regarding a ss bike I tried to sell. A guy contact me very interested, We agreed on a price we exchange details. When I tried to arranged to meet him at a neutral place the guy went quiet. 2 weeks later he then contacts me again saying he was away and busy and he didn't get a chance to get hold of me. I then ask him what area he was from so I could meet him at convenient public place he again went quiet. This is very strange.... ? So I have cancelled the add and decided to keep my ss. maybe this guy got a deal somewhere else but to stop communicating 2 times is a little fishy ? I hope you come right with your claim good luck.

This same incident happened to me, within the last month - I advertised goods for sale, was contacted by a bloke who sounded sold on the idea of buying my goods. Did the usual questions, age, etc, etc. I advertised with a money back guarnatee on return on goods in same condition as sold...as we concluded discussions he mentioned that he's not too far from me and can he come and view the goods at my house and promptly asked for my address!

I told him that I will load the goods and meet him at a local grocer parking lot and meet him at 16:00, never to hear from him again!

Scary stuff out there

Edited by Ed-Zulu

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a sad state of affairs. OP, I'm sorry about your traumatic experience.

Am I the only one that is wondering exactly how this took place?

Working on the assumption that the guy was operating alone, how did he get away? i.e. how do you put a bike on a bike rack whilst holding a gun in one hand? or did he ride away on the bike with said gun still in hand?

Unless he had an accomplice that did all the work while he held the gun...

AND PULL OUT A old tube from under your seat and scare him to death,,,,,,THE DUDE IS ALIVE CAUSE HE DONE THE RIGHT THING

Ja fair enough not saying be bruce willis,but not being married and no children i would of followed him either driven him off the road in my 4x4 or given his address to some large nigerian product collecters i know for a small fee..

After theyve had there way with him he will recite the bible on que ...

Not saying its right but i wouldnt of been able to let a 15-20k bike go...... not that rich..im the guy who bails and worries about the bike

Thats a real *** situation! Glad you're ok.

Guessing I may need to start posting more on threads if I want fellow hubbers to continue buying and selling things to me...not because I've been a member for a year, participated in regular rides with Hubbers or survived "The Great Data Loss"... :whistling:

This same incident happened to me, within the last month - I advertised goods for sale, was contacted by a bloke who sounded sold on the idea of buying my goods. Did the usual questions, age, etc, etc. I advertised with a money back guarnatee on return on goods in same condition as sold...as we concluded discussions he mentioned that he's not too far from me and can he come and view the goods at my house and promptly asked for my address!

I told him that I will load the goods and meet him at a local grocer parking lot and meet him at 16:00, never to hear from him again!

Scary stuff out there

Just shows how ignorant I am. I recently sold a road bike to someone who had just registered on the hub in order to respond to my ad. Being the trusting soul that I am I gave her my contact details and physical address.

Fortunately she arrived, did a bank transfer (same banks so the money went in immediately) and left without incident.

I'll re-think things in the future.

Just shows how ignorant I am. I recently sold a road bike to someone who had just registered on the hub in order to respond to my ad. Being the trusting soul that I am I gave her my contact details and physical address.

Fortunately she arrived, did a bank transfer (same banks so the money went in immediately) and left without incident.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NEVER DO DEALS AT YOUR HOUSE, lbs always safer bet

That is what is so sad about the whole situation - it stuffs it up for everyone.

I have had many dealings on the hub often with first timers and they have all been straight forward, no problems, with genuinely nice people. Now that the criminal element is starting to lurk around here it will just make things so much more difficult.

@ MATT I KNOW THERE IS A REPORT FUNCTION FOR THE CLASSIFIEDS, BUT READING THE ABOVE MAYBE THERE IS A BIGGER ISSUE REGARDING CLASSIFIEDS, MAYBE TIME FOR ONE OF THOSE THREADS FOR SUGGESTIONS FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE HAD ISSUES SO WE CAN WORK ON HOW TO RID THE HUB OF THIS,,, LAST THING WE WANT IS ANOTHER GUMTREE MENTALITY

Um…

Hi Ride4Life,

I'm very shocked and saddened to hear of this, but thankful you are unharmed.

I'll contact you via PM to see how we can assist.

Perhaps it's time for us to lockdown replies to only via The Hub . I haven't read through this thread yet, but have already seen comments in this regard. I'll open a separate thread to get feedback and suggestions on this.

Regards,

Matt

I want to add, meet in a place where there is camera's. make sure they work beforehand, Just in case you need his face for record purposes.

G

wow! this is crazy! be careful out there! Always agree to meet in a neutral, crowded area.

the dodgies will always find a way - this is not a problem specific to the hub. if you do a search on google a lot of times the hub classified advert popups - and if the advertiser has opted to publish their contact details, there's nothing stopping the people from contacting them - and a "I saw your advert on the hub" doesn't mean they're a hubber,

Never be so desperate for a sale that you divulge your home address, and don't go alone to meet anyone, whether you're buying or selling. If Matt comes up with a plan to stop this kinda of theft, he's gonna be rich selling the idea on.

Black and purple Merida Juliet by any chance?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

NEVER DO DEALS AT YOUR HOUSE, lbs always safer bet

Yeah, I know that now.... I was a first time seller :blush: