Bike Choice - Absa Cape Epic 2014

Vintage Vespa

i am in the fortunate position to have won a lottery ticket into the 2014 Epic, but now i am not sure what my weapon of choice should be?

i have done a number of mtb multiday stage races, all on hardtails...all of them 26"...

those who have done an epic, what would your recommendation be and why?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have done mine on a dual suspension 29er. Santa Cruz TallBoy. I will do it again next year on the same bike.

Epic is not overly technical, lots of climbing and lots of district road and jeep track. Over a week on the bike I would think comfort trumps weight.

If you are in it to win it you might consider a 29er hardtail.

i am in the fortunate position to have won a lottery ticket into the 2014 Epic, but now i am not sure what my weapon of choice should be?

i have done a number of mtb multiday stage races, all on hardtails...all of them 26"...

post-12441-0-58982200-1382964888_thumb.jpg

Thank me later

Done it on hard tails and dual sus, not sure which one I enjoyed the most. But interesting fact from the team at the bum clinic, they reckon the majority of bum, saddle, rear issues are from dual sus riders, seems they sit the whole day.........

Only done it on a full sus and heard the guys moaning that were on HT's and would never try it on a HT.

Stick to what you're used to. If you've already done stage races on a hardtail and you managed fine, then why would want to change anything now? And the same applies to anything else, tires, nutrition etc etc etc

thanks for the feedback so far, ladies & gents. it pretty much confirms what i thought...stick with what you know in terms of dual or HT. the only next thing ill have to debate whitin myself is whether it would be 26", 650B or 29"?

i love climbing with my current 26" HT, but would like to try the other wheel sizes as well!

i am fairly short at 1.78m and maybe i should test the other wheel sizes before making final choice.

Only done it on a full sus and heard the guys moaning that were on HT's and would never try it on a HT.

Everyone moans at one point or another during this race! :eek:

Done it on a hardtail ... doing it on a hardtail again next year ... 29er of course.

I thinks the stats for 2013 were that 86% of the field are on 29ers. (64% in 2012 and 23% in 2011)

Kinda obvious choice for this cross country event

where do you enter the lottery?

Still have to pay for the entry when you have won the lotto entry!

My first Epic HT Look 986 26" and this year on a 910 Scott Spark and boy, go for the dual if not goning for podium!

Done it on hard tails and dual sus, not sure which one I enjoyed the most. But interesting fact from the team at the bum clinic, they reckon the majority of bum, saddle, rear issues are from dual sus riders, seems they sit the whole day.........

What makes it a fact? I have never encountered anyone at the bum clinic asking DS or Hardtail....

What makes it a fact? I have never encountered anyone at the bum clinic asking DS or Hardtail....

People that need the bum clinic didnt train enough!!!!!

Steel Rigid SS. That would be my only Epic bike...

But seriously, it doesnt matter. Just ride the dam race.

All this 'buy this buy that it's SO much better on this' crap is irritating. Its a dam bike race, take a bike. Its a MTB race so take your MTB. Any MTB.

The one that you ride the most probably best

I have done mine on a dual suspension 29er. Santa Cruz TallBoy. I will do it again next year on the same bike.

Epic is not overly technical, lots of climbing and lots of district road and jeep track. Over a week on the bike I would think comfort trumps weight.

If you are in it to win it you might consider a 29er hardtail.

But it`s been won on duallies for the past few years? I think comfort is more important in a race like the Epic. It can be done on hardtail just fine, but for me I think I will enjoy the event more on a good 29er dually, and also be faster.