Dreamy Long Travel / AM Hardtails

Hairy

Ok after a few hiccups in trying to source some weird parts that nobody seems to have i have finally managed to get the build done.

Behold the HAMMERHEAD 2.0. hammerhead 1.0 was built a few years ago that was a light carbon HT. The 2.0 is a agressive HT. The actual HH image was sandblasted on the frame thanks to Jarred at BMC.

A bit of background. I have basically upgraded my DS bike with new parts so i have transferred the wheels, handlebar , and other bits to this project.

The frame is/was a ????? (take a guess) that i have stripped to get the raw aluminium look. This has a number of advantages besides looking cool. Mainly the fact It cannot get scratched , marked or scuffed as i just need to buff it out. So this is a true war machine.

Fork : Fox 34 Rythm 140mm travel

Wheels: Bontranger 30mm internal elite 30

Dropper: Lyne 150mm

Handlebar carbon bontranger with 35mm stem

SLX brakes, shifter and derailer

Tyres 2.6 recon Front and Bontranger XR2 2.6 rear

All in including pedals and lots of sealant for the fat rubber she came in at 12.8 kg

Took it out this morning for her virgin ride. Rode very rocky and technical stuff on signal hill and table mountain. She was fun, fast and a lot more capable than i ever thought a HT could be.

Massively capable bike, and a very nice build!

Here is mine... needs a bit of buffing out though cbecause it is pretty scratched up at the moment!

Got a bit of love recently with a bunch of parts from my Enduro bike that got an overhaul.

Frame: Large SB Slade

Groupo: GX Eagle

Fork: MRP Ribbon (140mm)

Wheels: Spank Oozy on Hope Pro 4 with CushCore and Maxxis Aggressors (2.5)

Brakes: Formula Cura with 203 and 180 rotors

Cockpit: Lyne AMP stem with carbon bar, Lyne 170mm dropper and Spez Henge saddle.

Finished off with OneUp toolin the steerer and their pump.

This bike is awesome...

post-82251-0-03450700-1599616488_thumb.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is mine... needs a bit of buffing out though cbecause it is pretty scratched up at the moment!

Got a bit of love recently with a bunch of parts from my Enduro bike that got an overhaul.

Cockpit: Lyne AMP stem with carbon bar, Lyne 170mm dropper and Spez Henge saddle.

This bike is awesome...

attachicon.gif20200909_034858.jpg

My heart is still pining for that bike...

How are you finding the Aggressors and on what IW rims are they mounted / how square are they? I've been considering them for the Stache as a replacement for the 3" rubber. Ideally they'll have less rolling resistance than the Chupacabras (XR2 as they're called now) with a bit more bite for cornering. 

I've got 46mm IW rims, which are probably too wide for the 2.5" even with the WT casing, which is why I'm asking about the overall shape.

How are you finding the Aggressors and on what IW rims are they mounted / how square are they? I've been considering them for the Stache as a replacement for the 3" rubber. Ideally they'll have less rolling resistance than the Chupacabras (XR2 as they're called now) with a bit more bite for cornering. 

I've got 46mm IW rims, which are probably too wide for the 2.5" even with the WT casing, which is why I'm asking about the overall shape.

I can chip in - riding the Stans Flow rims 29mm internal, the 2.6 Aggressors seem amazing.

Roll pretty well but they hook up very nicely on the corners and that was at Giba Gorge which is super loose over hard.

I am, however, coming from 2.3 XC tyres (Spez Fast Trak).

Haha I don't blame you for pining after it! After the recent spout of upgrades it is one hell of a bike!

I have been riding Aggressors on the rear of my bike for the last 3 years, it is in my opinion the best all round rear tyre if you lean slightly towards the gravity side of things. I consider the Slade to be my trail bike though and did not want to mount my usual DHF on the front for both weight and rolling resistance reasons. After reading here a few people have had good luck with the Aggressor on the front I decided to try it - I am very happy. It rolls fast enough and grips very well on the front, especially in the dry - that said, it will not make it onto the front of my enduro bike. I have also decided to fit an even faster rolling rear tyre - I am dying for a 2.5 or 2.6 Rekon Race or Ikon, but afaik they don't exist, so a 2.6 Rekon will have to do.

As for the shape, mounted on 30mm IW rims I find them perfect, not too square, not too round - just they way a tyre is supposed to be if that makes sense. With the cushcore inserted though the sidewalls are definitely pushed out a bit making it appear a bit more bulgy. Not ideal, but I live with it because cushcore is frigin amazing for rim strikes and comfort. 

I would say 35mm rims are the limit for a 2.5 tyre like the Aggressor. A friend of mine rides 2.5 on 35mm rims, and they are starting too square off too much for my liking.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

This bike is awesome...

attachicon.gif20200909_034858.jpg

Wow very similair builds i see you also when the raw alu look.  Im really loving this bike .  I find the 2.6 recon actually grips pretty well and the xr2 on the back rolls very well for such a big tyre.  

Is that the internal gearbox thingamijig! I’ve Heard it’s the future?

Gearboxes been around for a while, but yeah apparently very good. Would like to try one sometime

Gearboxes been around for a while, but yeah apparently very good. Would like to try one sometime

Those chains are used by guys who cycle around continents . Can do like 80 000 km on them with zero maintenance

Ok after a few hiccups in trying to source some weird parts that nobody seems to have i have finally managed to get the build done.

Behold the HAMMERHEAD 2.0. hammerhead 1.0 was built a few years ago that was a light carbon HT. The 2.0 is a agressive HT. The actual HH image was sandblasted on the frame thanks to Jarred at BMC.

A bit of background. I have basically upgraded my DS bike with new parts so i have transferred the wheels, handlebar , and other bits to this project.

The frame is/was a ????? (take a guess) that i have stripped to get the raw aluminium look. This has a number of advantages besides looking cool. Mainly the fact It cannot get scratched , marked or scuffed as i just need to buff it out. So this is a true war machine.

Fork : Fox 34 Rythm 140mm travel

Wheels: Bontranger 30mm internal elite 30

Dropper: Lyne 150mm

Handlebar carbon bontranger with 35mm stem

SLX brakes, shifter and derailer

Tyres 2.6 recon Front and Bontranger XR2 2.6 rear

All in including pedals and lots of sealant for the fat rubber she came in at 12.8 kg

Took it out this morning for her virgin ride. Rode very rocky and technical stuff on signal hill and table mountain. She was fun, fast and a lot more capable than i ever thought a HT could be.

That's a rad build, man. Budget beating performance. Looks either like an SB Slade trail or a Kona...

s1600_Nicolai_Argon_22.jpg?1599424577

Hmmmm. Something about the design is making me squint a bit. Not sure what it is yet.

Edit. I know what it is. The dropouts and how the wheel isn't centred in them, but on a lower section of the separate "dropout". Imo it looks as if the wheel is sitting in the derailleur hanger, and is almost floating under the dropout.

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Hmmmm. Something about the design is making me squint a bit. Not sure what it is yet.

Edit. I know what it is. The dropouts and how the wheel isn't centred in them, but on a lower section of the separate "dropout". Imo it looks as if the wheel is sitting in the derailleur hanger, and is almost floating under the dropout.

To be honest, the combination of the HA, the TT and the angle the TT and Seat stays meet makes it look like it has been drawn by a pre school child.

That bike is a massive NO from me

To be honest, the combination of the HA, the TT and the angle the TT and Seat stays meet makes it look like it has been drawn by a pre school child.

You guys are getting OLD!

You def don’t like their bikes - you put me off one off them recently ????

Edited by Waynemol