Calling the Fly fishing manne

Pieter1

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have not hooked any monsters but I have been having a jol. I caught most fish on my ultra light tackle. I have caught some small kingfish, dorado, bonnies and this morning I lost a nice little GT just before landing it. The little GT put up the best fight I have ever had, I feel bad for it because the lure could still be in it’s mouth, I fish barbless so hopefully not. My knot pulled as I tried to lift it out of the water. I am so miff about that fish. I used a Gopro chesty while on the boat and have some lekker vids. We managed to save a sea turlte entangled in some rope, that was a lekker feeling, found another that was not so lucky. Saw spinner dolphins playing around, they are entertaining to watch. I still have this afternoon and tomorrow to settle my score with that GT. Here are two picks: My first ever Dorado and Bonnito. Ah I also caught this beautifull blue dorado, sadly it got off just before the boat but it must have been one of the prettiest fish I have ever seen.

post-25481-0-98814700-1522835945_thumb.jpeg

post-25481-0-67849200-1522835966_thumb.jpeg

I sometimes regret my barbless hooks. Hooked into another GT and it got off. But man those things absolutely SMASH into the lure. I honestly hope I land one tomorrow.

That Dorado is so pretty!!

They are hey. I wish I could have taken a pic of that blue one. It was something else.

Was up on the farm last weekend. Fair bit of rain. Only got a few hours of fishing in. Pulled out 20-25 bass in total. Ranging from about 10 to 30 cm long. Lekker eating fish.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, how many of you are going to make it to Lourensford?

Fly fishing and tying expo

https://ffftexpo.co.za/

I went to have a look, but I'm not sure what to say. The R150 entrance fee is steepish for just browsing a bit. I like Lourensford, but I am by nature not too fond of big gatherings (yes, I know, I ride the Argus every year) and I generally don't like this type of thing. I also really have everything I need, so I'm not in the market for new equipment and I managed to get beyond the stage where I'm dazzled by every newest model "improved" mousetrap. I liked watching some of the very skilled flytyers and wish my flyboxes could be that neat!

I enjoyed talking to Jay Smith about his truly world class, locally designed and made, flytying vice. I ended up buying a stunning little hackle pliers of his. What a beautifully engineered gadget. If anyone is in the market for a vice, buy a J-vice. Coming from someone who ties on a real Italian Renzetti (the Colnago of the flytying world) that is high praise! 

Perhaps someone who are after buying kit could find it interesting to look at a few different brands and comparing. Or if you want to get into tying your own? There are lots of materials for sale and lots of experts available to give advice.  

post-17716-0-59611500-1532780111_thumb.jpg

Edited by DJR

Funny you should mention Jay. I have one of his vices that will be getting sold quite soon... Oak base, plus all the goodies. It really is a world class product.

Actually going to sell my entire tying kit. Hooks, beads, materials, etc. Will hopefully find a taker for the whole lot

Edited by GrahamS2

Funny you should mention Jay. I have one of his vices that will be getting sold quite soon... Oak base, plus all the goodies. It really is a world class product.

Actually going to sell my entire tying kit. Hooks, beads, materials, etc. Will hopefully find a taker for the whole lot

Interested.

I can really recommend the J-vice. It is designed and made by a flytying engineer from Durban. The materials used are top quality oak, stainless steel and brass. Everything gets machined to perfection and is likely to outlast its owners. It is also fully rotational and extremely ergonomic. Jay made the first ones about 15 years ago (I think) and they are still going strong. He has updated the design over the years and now has a very enviable reputation all over the world for his vices. 

I went to have a look, but I'm not sure what to say. The R150 entrance fee is steepish for just browsing a bit. I like Lourensford, but I am by nature not too fond of big gatherings (yes, I know, I ride the Argus every year) and I generally don't like this type of thing. I also really have everything I need, so I'm not in the market for new equipment and I managed to get beyond the stage where I'm dazzled by every newest model "improved" mousetrap. I liked watching some of the very skilled flytyers and wish my flyboxes could be that neat!

I enjoyed talking to Jay Smith about his truly world class, locally designed and made, flytying vice. I ended up buying a stunning little hackle pliers of his. What a beautifully engineered gadget. If anyone is in the market for a vice, buy a J-vice. Coming from someone who ties on a real Italian Renzetti (the Colnago of the flytying world) that is high praise!

Perhaps someone who are after buying kit could find it interesting to look at a few different brands and comparing. Or if you want to get into tying your own? There are lots of materials for sale and lots of experts available to give advice.

I promised myself a Jvice once my cheapie is worn out, but it just keeps on going