29"er Wheel Upgrade

Jigghead

I have a Giant XTC29 O (2012) model, it has full XT, bar the dodgy Avid brakes, I'm waiting for XT stock to arrive on these, apparently mid November sometime.

My next upgrade is the wheels. Can anyone suggest a decent wheel set that fits well with the bike, bearing in mind that the bike "only" cost me around R18K. I would prefer not to over capitalise here, but at the same time, I would like to ensure that I have as good a wheel set as possible. I weigh 93kg, so strength would be a priority, followed closely by weight. If I could get both of those and have the bike look a bit pimped out, that would be a plus :)

Any help is always appreciated from the learned Hub community ;)

Novatec FlowTrail, American Classic 29 Tubeless or Arch EX on Hope hubs are all good options. Competitive weight, good value for money and adaptable.

Novatec FlowTrail, American Classic 29 Tubeless or Arch EX on Hope hubs are all good options. Competitive weight, good value for money and adaptable.

What he said, but of these I would go for the American Classic 29 Tubeless, they are +- the same weight as Stans Crest, but stronger.

I have the same bike and also did the XT brake upgrade you will love it. Bought normal Crossride wheels and I am heavier than you love them too and they are getting hammered by me every week but stay straight and in one piece.

I bought carbon rims from China (the all mountain version, which are wider and rated up to 130 kg) and laced these onto DT Swiss 240s. Super stong and weigh 1490g for the set which is lighter than Crossmax SLR's. Could not believe the difference, had to learn a whole new riding style, with far less gear downs required.... These light wheels just make a bike feel turbo powered!!! Wish I had believed this and done it years ago!!!

I bought carbon rims from China (the all mountain version, which are wider and rated up to 130 kg) and laced these onto DT Swiss 240s. Super stong and weigh 1490g for the set which is lighter than Crossmax SLR's. Could not believe the difference, had to learn a whole new riding style, with far less gear downs required.... These light wheels just make a bike feel turbo powered!!! Wish I had believed this and done it years ago!!!

Must have been a hefty price tag?

Arch EX on Hope hubs.

Yup, just dont skimp on the spokes, there are some pretty cheap deals out there but the spokes can make or break the wheel, so to speak.

I upgraded my Scott 940 with a set of Aluminium Ritchey WCS Advantage. I was a die-hard American classic fan, but couldn't get a set, so I opted for the Ritcheys. I've just completed the W2W Adventure, and I have to say these have got to be the best wheels I have ever ridden. I sent them in yesterday to be checked, because we had Mud, mud, more mud, rocks, mud and finally very enthusiastic cleaners with pressure washers. Not a ding, not a loose spoke, not even a need for new bearings. My AC's needed a full service after Sani 2010.....