Where is the biggest, meanest, longest and steepest hill in Jo'berg?

GhostSixFour

Don't you guys have some minedumps in the area??

Pick your gradient

Up hill

Down hill

(Hey it's still Friday !!)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the early 80's (the launch of the Star Wars movie) we had hill limb up the exit of the top star drive-in, there were 2 exits, we raced up the steep one

Our club used to have a annual challenge in Suikerbosrand for the fastest time riding the 1st climb, never placed anywhere. If it was reverse it would be a different story as my body is ideally suited to descend better than ascend

I finished with the second fastest climb one year, and was nearly a minute behind Andy (the winner on the day).

7:55 is my best time for the 2Km climb, compared to Andy's 6:58

I agree, I think the Westcliff hotel should be good, regarding road closures and all that.

Also as mentioned before, the route of the Krugersdorp Hillclimb should also be good, although I am unsure of the road condition, as I haven't been that side in many a year. If I remember correctly the Krugersdorp Rotary Club had some input there.

I think a weight category might be the way to go.

GhostSixFour, I would be more than willing to help, will only be back in SA in Jan, but I could always send emails.

In the early 80's (the launch of the Star Wars movie) we had hill limb up the exit of the top star drive-in, there were 2 exits, we raced up the steep one

We often did hill climbs up the Top Star exit road. Other one we did was the road up to Hippo Quarry, near the Lido Hotel.

klapperkop. Maybe do a road one and next to it a mtb one on the gravel. People can watch both

I think this will work well as it is not a busy road. Can race from the gate at R21 to Burry's memorial. Spectators and participants can park along the rest of Rissik drive, or even better at the Waterkloof Ridge lifestyle centre, cause then afterwards the Dros will be doing good business :-)

A single speed category would be fun too.

As for a cup format. That is going to take a lot of time. Maybe have everyone do one climb. and the top 16/8 go haed to head.

Linksfieldridge has the school and the sports grounds at the bottom of Bedford street between Club,Gemmel and Meyer streets. And the park on Krans street. So parking would not be a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Are we gonna do this?

I suggest a hill that's not impossible for the average joe - but raceable for the top guys.

That way we all get a go :-)

What about Old Howick Road (Pmb to Hilton,KZN)? Especially in mid summer in the middle of the day:)

the old Belgotex Carpets hill climb about 500m ascent over 8.8km average 7% grade 22min 55sec Daryl Impy in 2003 but I am sure this was broken John-Lee Augustyn in 2005.

Biggersburg in Glenvista is a biatch of climb.

Short, steep but in the middle of a residential area.

post-1372-0-10300400-1383941826_thumb.png

Biggersberg is a killer! Especially that left turn towards the top, if u leaning too forward it feels like you going to fall over lol

the old Belgotex Carpets hill climb about 500m ascent over 8.8km average 7% grade 22min 55sec Daryl Impy in 2003 but I am sure this was broken John-Lee Augustyn in 2005.

Off the topic, but I am so hoping that John-Lee Augustyn regains his form next year - there's nothing like a good comeback story

Thanks for the suggestions - keep em coming.

Do you think people will go for this? Was thinking of maybe doing it every 2 months on a friday evening with an official challenge for the jersey taking place only once a year?

Don't for get meat tray, bragging rights and a keg.... The only prizes that count. ;)